• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Melbourne Cup fashions

xd400

Reaction score

Confucius

Reaction score
Fashion at the races tends to be pretty terrible. I'm generalising of course, because I'm sure there are plenty of dapper men. But everytime I think of blokes at the races, all I can think of are guys in grey/tan/beige suits from:
1) Peter Jackson
2) Dom Bagnato
3) Calibre
4) Man-to-man

paired with hideous snake skin, square/pointy toed shoes in white/brown/tan.

Confucius

Reaction score
Oh and the guy with the collar out is Shannon Noll. "You can take the boy out of the country..."

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/835...0A760B0D811297 Atleast hes showing some cuff
laugh.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This guy is ok, though no shot of shoes and the knot could use some work...

colour__10__gallery__598x400.jpg

Speaking of shoes ....
plain.gif

colour__18__gallery__600x393.jpg

Pretty typical

colour__22__gallery__551x400.jpg

And then you have those who think it is fun to 'dress up' ...

colour_gallery__487x400.jpg

colour__37__gallery__600x387.jpg

colour__77__gallery__595x400.jpg

I really don't think Carson Kressley was the best dressed there ... the tie is ******* awful:

colour__47__gallery__516x400.jpg

Beside the fact that I intensely disklike Brodie Holland...what is with that waistcoat?

colour__49__gallery__273x400.jpg

Though his woman is an excellent candidate for the 'are these fake thread':

colour__50__gallery__298x400.jpg

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Though his woman is an excellent candidate for the 'are these fake thread':

colour__50__gallery__298x400.jpg

That is such an excellent picture
worship.gif

Zubberah

Reaction score
C'mon, it's supposed to be a fun day and not taken seriously!
laugh.gif

PS - I thought Carson was hideously dressed. But then didn't take much notice of him in that pic! ;-)

kdaust

Reaction score
I think its one of those double breasted waistcoats.

The 'Pretty Typical' shot is about right.

On one of the nighttime TV shows, they tried to dress people for the races on a budget. For the guys it was Roger David suit $200 (i think), some ugly tie, some other ugly crap... And black Julius Marlow shoes that looked like they belonged on a teenager. They could have at least got some nice ones from vinnies I thought!

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
I think its one of those double breasted waistcoats. The 'Pretty Typical' shot is about right. On one of the nighttime TV shows, they tried to dress people for the races on a budget. For the guys it was Roger David suit $200 (i think), some ugly tie, some other ugly crap... And black Julius Marlow shoes that looked like they belonged on a teenager. They could have at least got some nice ones from vinnies I thought!
I've got a few things I like from Roger David actually, but the quality is less than stellar, but I like the fit. One is a denim casual blazer, and the other is a herringbone tweed jacket. Got them at a massive sale. For less than $200, and some time at Vinnies, one could put together a very dapper outfit.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is no doubt that you can pull together a good outfit on a budget, and the quality of an item of clothing has more of an intrinsic value that you know it will last for many years if it is looked after, but it doesn't necessarily translate to you looking dapper.

The problem is that men just generally don't know how to dress and women perpetuate this by making statements, like I heard in the office recently, that "men must always make sure that their pants match their jacket" ... I mean seriously
plain.gif

kdaust

Reaction score
Agreed. The Roger David suit was fine, and looked like it fit.
It was the shoes that made me gag. They look like they're stitched together from 10 pieces of leather and have square toes with moulded rubber that extends halfway up the front of the toe like a sports shoe.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt that you can pull together a good outfit on a budget, and the quality of an item of clothing has more of an intrinsic value that you know it will last for many years if it is looked after, but it doesn't necessarily translate to you looking dapper.

The problem is that men just generally don't know how to dress and women perpetuate this by making statements, like I heard in the office recently, that "men must always make sure that their pants match their jacket" ... I mean seriously
plain.gif

What's worse is I actually own a pair of white square toed shoes, that women seem to love as I get the most compliments on them. I haven't worn them in a very long time though, and I should donate them because they are hideous.
laugh.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
What's worse is I actually own a pair of white square toed shoes, that women seem to love as I get the most compliments on them. I haven't worn them in a very long time though, and I should donate them because they are hideous.
laugh.gif

Men have unfortunately just become another thing for women to decorate

kdaust

Reaction score
Men have unfortunately always been just another thing for women to decorate

fixed. lol. But so true.

How many times have you said "I think I'm going to throw this _____ out because it looks crap". And all you hear from the woman/en in your life is is "But I love you in that _____".
Tragic.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kdaust
fixed. lol. But so true.

How many times have you said "I think I'm going to throw this _____ out because it looks crap". And all you hear from the woman/en in your life is is "But I love you in that _____".
Tragic.

true true ...

... was playing a game with a girl at work asking her what she would have me wear if we were going to the races together and she tells me a pastel shirt and tie

I told her the thought of tone on tone made me want to vomit ... and she couldn't understand why

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads