• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts for a peacoat for someone with very long arms? I see MTM versions by a couple of companies (Hockerty, but fabrics look bad. Luxire, but there are no customization options shown on the site).

I'm 6'3", about 40 in the chest and 36.5 in the arms. Is this within the range that a coat could be altered?

Private White will make you a MTM with extra long arms if you need it.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schott and others offer tall sizes. I have similar measurements and the tall are fine.

CentrallyLocate

Reaction score
Delighted that peacoats are back this season, it’s been a sad 4-5 years without them, they really are the GOAT mens winter coat.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5F64F678-3821-4FDA-A8F7-9873159EA265.jpeg

SEH Kelly and Private White VC. I liked both very much. Opted for the left.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the Pvt White coat looks nicer. Patch pockets are off-putting on the other one..

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually the Pvt White coat looks nicer. Patch pockets are off-putting on the other one..

To each there own, no? Not sure one should be put off by a patch pocket. I don’t mind them, though I understand what you mean to convey.

I prefer the slightly less flamboyant collar on the left and the cuff details. The cloth on the left, a reproduction of a British army cloth, is a touch more supple and the collar springs up in a more supple way. The belt on the back of the private white VC coat is functionally nice but droops and lacks the sharpness of the front. It’s also a tad heavier so my hope is the SEH Kelly will be more temperature versatile...it is still quite heavy. The copper lining against the copper zippers in the PWVC coat is very nice. You can’t go wrong with either.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure there were many details involved in your decision. The lapels are a bit large on the Pvt White. I just thought the patch pockets were a bit odd on a pea coat.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m sure there were many details involved in your decision. The lapels are a bit large on the Pvt White. I just thought the patch pockets were a bit odd on a pea coat.
You are certainly correct that they are not traditional by any means. I can see if you want a more traditional front look that you might go for the Private White. I like that both coats have done away with the traditional higher set hand warmer pocket. I also like that both are British manufacturers with a commitment to supporting local workmanship. Both Paul at SEH Kelly and James the CEO at Private White are quite responsive as well.

EddieK

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get a wool or wool blend peacoat at least in smaller sizes and shorter lengths. Around 27inch length

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get a wool or wool blend peacoat at least in smaller sizes and shorter lengths. Around 27inch length
Billy Reid's Bond pea coat is cut rather short. Not sure of the exact measurements but you can email them. I bought one back when they came out and love it. I normally wear large but went XL with this as it's close-fitting.

EddieK

Reaction score
Crombie's length s 29.75 inches in smallest available size. 2.5 inches too long for me. Billy Reid's is nice but I can't seem to find length info

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crombie's length s 29.75 inches in smallest available size. 2.5 inches too long for me. Billy Reid's is nice but I can't seem to find length info
You’ll likely need to email them if interested.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Peacoat fit question: most of my suit jackets are about 28 inches in length (36s). What would be my ideal length for peacoat? I’m wondering if the PW peacoat in size 2 will be too long at ~31 inches or if I’m overthinking it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics