• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

radio3

Reaction score
How is the fit on those Gloverall coats? I have been looking for a Bond coat on eBay but seeing more of these Gloveralls, often at great prices. Are the two very similar? Sorry, I don’t know much about pea coats other than that I like high quality wool and a tailored fit.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what about this one tweedy?

picked up mine 6months ago. so pleased with it. quality even better than i imagined :p

Looks good. What's the weight of the fabric?

I think I've decided I like the handwarmer option a bit lower and my preference is for the non-maritime buttons. I know, I know, it's a peacoat but I just like horn better.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I bought a lightly worn Gloverall in brown last winter, and a 1957 USN peacoat (dated by a good soul here). I think I will keep the USN and sell the Gloverall - I realised that the camel colour actually doesn't suit me that well. I am fairly slim, so I might commit an act of heresy and have the USN one tailored a bit to give a bit more shape around the waist, to which I am partial. Otherwise it feels like there is a lot of fabric at the back.
(If anyone is interested in the Gloverall in a 40 let me know! I bought it barely used, and haven't worn it).

radio3

Reaction score
Does anyone have opinions on Armor Lux pea coats? Are any of them particularly good or particularly bad?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one looks interesting. I have way too many peacoats to get another, though.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a standard in the US and British navies for where the cuff falls relative to the hand on a peacoat? If so, what is it? If not, do people have a preference that isn't just what one would do with a tailored overcoat?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a standard in the US and British navies for where the cuff falls relative to the hand on a peacoat? If so, what is it? If not, do people have a preference that isn't just what one would do with a tailored overcoat?
No idea on standards although I'm sure the Navy has a reg for it somewhere. I prefer mine to be long enough to cover whatever shirt/sweater sleeve I'm wearing underneath.

georgeka

Reaction score
Any recommendation on peacoat manufacture in EU? Crombie, Private White VC, S.E.H. Kelly, Gloverall and Sterlingwear all good, but with brexit all of them become hard to catch online. I lean toward quality rather than stylish look. Should be 100% wool or blended with cashmere, straight cut and brand heritage is more than welcome.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation on peacoat manufacture in EU? Crombie, Private White VC, S.E.H. Kelly, Gloverall and Sterlingwear all good, but with brexit all of them become hard to catch online. I lean toward quality rather than stylish look. Should be 100% wool or blended with cashmere, straight cut and brand heritage is more than welcome.
I have a gray wool/cashmere blend pea coat from Canali. Long enough to wear over a suit jacket. Got it New from topshelfapparel on eBay.

I would guess that Yoox, The Rake or IT Suit might work for EU.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mackintosh is also an option.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Any thoughts for a peacoat for someone with very long arms? I see MTM versions by a couple of companies (Hockerty, but fabrics look bad. Luxire, but there are no customization options shown on the site).

I'm 6'3", about 40 in the chest and 36.5 in the arms. Is this within the range that a coat could be altered?

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
Any thoughts for a peacoat for someone with very long arms? I see MTM versions by a couple of companies (Hockerty, but fabrics look bad. Luxire, but there are no customization options shown on the site).

I'm 6'3", about 40 in the chest and 36.5 in the arms. Is this within the range that a coat could be altered?
I am sure that Luxire could customise the hell out of a coat for you. Ask in the Luxire thread.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capture 1.JPG

New one from Eidos. Not bad even though the buttons are a bit bold.

Eset

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to turn from a silent observer without an account to an official member by asking for your advice for the upcoming winter season. I am currently interesting in getting a peacoat. Important for me: I am wearing sports jackets almost everyday (usually a size 48), so the peacoat should have sufficient length. And I would be delighted if it can keep me warm (with a jacket beneath) to about -5 degrees (Celsius).
I learned that many are in favor of vintage military peacoats. I could not find anything convincing in second hand shops in Berlin nor online yet. But I'd be happy to learn from you what I have to look out for and where.

I have got an eye on a peacoat by Suitsupply:

as well as one by Saint James:

What are your opinions on these two peacoats? Any clear choice? Or different advice?

Thank you very much

I decided for the Suitsupply Peacoat in green. Hasn't been fully weather tested yet, but I can already say that I like the cut a lot, also because I have still some space to move with a jacket below. Interestingly, the green Peacoat is 50 EUR cheaper than the blue one - no idea why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads