• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
What did you think about the one I got? I posted pics up above. Only paid 30$
Hard to tell from the angle you shot. The first one is at the proper angle, but the picture quality is poor. In that one the fit in the body looks good, from what I can tell, but the sleeves may be a bit too long. I would, however, prefer the sleeves longer than too short. I got my first peacoat in about 1971, from my sister's husband. The sleeves were about 3/4" too short. It drove me nuts. A couple of years ago I had them lengthened as much as the tailor could lengthen them, which was about an inch. Perfect fit now. So I am sensitive to short sleeves, not so much to long sleeves.

Your sleeves are about 3/4" to 1" too long. If it doesn't bother you (and it wouldn't bother me) don't do anything. When you layer with a sweater, that will take up some of the length.

From what I can tell from that first picture (may be second picture in first album) the torso length looks good. From the mirror shots it looks too long, but then the angle isn't right either.

For $30 you stole that coat. I don't know what year it is, but it should have been closer to $100.

Soharu

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the angle you shot. The first one is at the proper angle, but the picture quality is poor. In that one the fit in the body looks good, from what I can tell, but the sleeves may be a bit too long. I would, however, prefer the sleeves longer than too short. I got my first peacoat in about 1971, from my sister's husband. The sleeves were about 3/4" too short. It drove me nuts. A couple of years ago I had them lengthened as much as the tailor could lengthen them, which was about an inch. Perfect fit now. So I am sensitive to short sleeves, not so much to long sleeves.

Your sleeves are about 3/4" to 1" too long. If it doesn't bother you (and it wouldn't bother me) don't do anything. When you layer with a sweater, that will take up some of the length.

From what I can tell from that first picture (may be second picture in first album) the torso length looks good. From the mirror shots it looks too long, but then the angle isn't right either.

For $30 you stole that coat. I don't know what year it is, but it should have been closer to $100.

Yeah. I offered the seller below there sale price and they accepted and I was like wow, okay.

It's black color so now I want to also find a navy one. It seems like alot of the peacoats on ebay are black and that navy is hard to find. The sleeves seem fine for me but I will keep that in mind. The coat is made by the major coat company and is a 38s

Sorry about the poor camera quality. I'm using a phone from like 2013 and I need to upgrade soon. I have taken more photos to show the length of the coat. This is my first peacoat so I'm not to sure on the length. I know some people wear it at waist length but this one is a little lower

I wonder why the navy color is harder to find?

Eried1

Reaction score
Does anyone here have the billy reid bond peacoat?

If so, can they comment on the long term durability of it?
I finally have the traditional 80/20 version in navy color. The wool is dense, but I don't think the price tag is warranted. Paying 695$ is madness when you can get a brand new Schott, which you know is 100% quality, for half of that price. In my opinion you get more for less. BR's only edge is its flattering fit.

Expect it to be fashion over function, but of course it will still hold up for many years to come.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on the Billy Reid coat several times before finally not pulling the trigger. The fabric and fit are a step above, but ultimately I decided to buy a duffle instead. But it's a quality piece.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried on the Billy Reid. Looks and fits great but was just too stiff for me. Salesman said it would break in over time and soften up but given that Houston doesn’t really get that cold too often to wear, it would take awhile for me. The cashmere Bond pea coat felt much better but I couldn’t justify spending over $1000 for a pea coat.

Peacoat

Reaction score
I’ve tried on the Billy Reid. Looks and fits great but was just too stiff for me. Salesman said it would break in over time and soften up but given that Houston doesn’t really get that cold too often to wear, it would take awhile for me. The cashmere Bond pea coat felt much better but I couldn’t justify spending over $1000 for a pea coat.
And you made a wise decision.

Eried1

Reaction score
The salesman is right. It took one winter for me to really break it in and now it's considerably softer than when just out of the box.

The 20% polyamide helps in bad weather. I wouldn't even think of buying an expensive cashmere coat. Not very versatile.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked amazon.com and saw they’re selling a navy bond peacoat in my size for 30% off. Kind of tempting but still nearly $500.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Private White Peacoat arrived. The Melton wool is pretty stiff and thick and feels like it will take some time to soften up. The large lapels look super dramatic with the collar up and the cloth is heavy enough that it seems to hold it's shape well even if the coat is worn open.

I normally bounce between a 46-48L in suits and sport coats and went with a PWVC size 7. I'll probably get the sleeves shortened but I'm reasonably happy with the fit otherwise. I have a good 2" of clearance over an OBCD and a fairly chunky lambswool sweater.

vusMZ9Ah.jpg
hey all - a little reluctant to post, but here is my Private White Peacoat. It's a size 5 & I am 6'2", 190 with a 42" chest. Hopefully this is helpful to others looking for fit info. The materials & build quality feel quite nice.

Hi gents...I'm curious how your peacoats have worn over time. Especially the weight which the website lists as 850g! That seems pretty heavy, but in a good way. This is the Manchester Peacoat that they currently have for sale on the home website.

If it's the same weight as yours, happy to hear about the comfortable temperature ranges that you wear your coat in (DM if you prefer).

Eset

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to turn from a silent observer without an account to an official member by asking for your advice for the upcoming winter season. I am currently interesting in getting a peacoat. Important for me: I am wearing sports jackets almost everyday (usually a size 48), so the peacoat should have sufficient length. And I would be delighted if it can keep me warm (with a jacket beneath) to about -5 degrees (Celsius).
I learned that many are in favor of vintage military peacoats. I could not find anything convincing in second hand shops in Berlin nor online yet. But I'd be happy to learn from you what I have to look out for and where.

I have got an eye on a peacoat by Suitsupply:

as well as one by Saint James:

What are your opinions on these two peacoats? Any clear choice? Or different advice?

Thank you very much

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents...I'm curious how your peacoats have worn over time. Especially the weight which the website lists as 850g! That seems pretty heavy, but in a good way. This is the Manchester Peacoat that they currently have for sale on the home website.

If it's the same weight as yours, happy to hear about the comfortable temperature ranges that you wear your coat in (DM if you prefer).

Sorry Tweedy, I'm just seeing your post now. The Private White melton peacoat is very heavy and quite stiff. It's warm enough that I can only bear to wear it once the weather gets below 40 degrees (F). It is ridiculously well made though, and every aspect of it just screams quality. I like it enough that I've been thinking of asking them to make me a second one in a dark grey Donegal tweed.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry Tweedy, I'm just seeing your post now. The Private White melton peacoat is very heavy and quite stiff. It's warm enough that I can only bear to wear it once the weather gets below 40 degrees (F). It is ridiculously well made though, and every aspect of it just screams quality. I like it enough that I've been thinking of asking them to make me a second one in a dark grey Donegal tweed.

No worries, thanks for the reply. I was chatting to the Prive White VC CEO on instagram, friendly guy. I suppose people run hot at different temperatures (I run cooler than most). He thought below 50 degrees was about right in terms of when one might wear it reasonably comfortably, but for you, a cool fall day, it might still be too warm?

How have the shoulders softened over time? That's the only other aspect of the jacket of some concern for me, given the thickness of the fabric and possible stiffness as you've noted.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do run warm, and if I'm dressed casually in the autumn/winter I'm likely wearing an ocbd and chunky lambswool sweaters so I don't necessarily need super warm outerwear until it gets down below 40. I have the Private White field jacket too, and I prefer it for milder weather.

The shoulders are not padded or structured but they have not really softened at all. Have you looked at the SEH Kelly version? I think it's about the same price and I was very impressed with the gray one that @Patrick R posted about last winter.

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-1@2x.jpg

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That versions not
I do run warm, and if I'm dressed casually in the autumn/winter I'm likely wearing an ocbd and chunky lambswool sweaters so I don't necessarily need super warm outerwear until it gets down below 40. I have the Private White field jacket too, and I prefer it for milder weather.

The shoulders are not padded or structured but they have not really softened at all. Have you looked at the SEH Kelly version? I think it's about the same price and I was very impressed with the gray one that @Patrick R posted about last winter.

peacoat-hopsack-overcoating-dark-grey-1@2x.jpg
that version is great but I don’t think it’s available. Mostly I’m worried about shoulder fit on the Private White peacoat.
D134C8C7-E7E4-420F-9690-29EACCA1E8B5.png
C7888581-D9CC-4EF7-BBCE-628E557BAE67.png
62EF6858-A5AA-449C-A356-A48A78C450E7.png

It fits best on the model, last pic. The very structured shoulder, due to weight of fabric and not actual shoulder padding, doesn’t seem to give so much in the first two pics, when the arm is slightly raised.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads