• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
I imagine you got the civilian version of the Sterlingwear. There are several weights of wool in the different versions of this coat, so I don't know exactly what you have. It is a well made coat irrespective of the material. But the Kersey is so much more.

Will your Sterlingwear be warm enough for winter? Depends on where you are located. Peaoats have a design deficiency as they have large open sleeves and an open hem. One way to counter this is to wear a sweater underneath. The sweater will take up the open air spaces between the coat and the body, making it a warmer coat.

In NYC , the typical winter night (as I remember) is upper teens to lower 20s. I only had one heavy coat, and that was an issue Nave peacoat my sister's husband had given me. I also only had one sweater,* and using those two in combination I kept warm on all of our nights out.

If you are in Chicago, the civilian Sterlingwear won't be sufficient. That is the windiest and coldest place in the country. The wind in Chicago will cut right through your coat.

What I would suggest is to see if your Sterlingwear keeps you warm this winter in your locale. If so, there is no problem. If not, then buy a vintage issue peacoat and wear it with a sweater for warmth. That combination will keep you warm down to the upper teens. Below that temperature, I will be wearing my Canada Goose.

If you decide to buy a vintage peacoat, see my Peacoat Dating Guide at The Fedora Lounge. A link used to be in my signature line below. If not there, just google the above, and it will be the first search item returned.

Good luck.
_____
* I was a graduate student without a lot of money to spend on clothing.

WaIIace

Reaction score
@Peacoat, thank you for the informative response! Yes, it is a civilian version, indeed. Also, I am not planning to wear it during the harsh weather, for that purpose I have the parka, too. Will probably be checking eBay from time to time and If I come across a decent deal in my size, will go for it. Thanks again, take care

L'Artisan

Reaction score
Hey all! New to the forum. Was hoping I could get your opinions on this peacoat I just picked up.

It's a 1940's(?) US Navy Peacoat. I paid about $80 for it, had the sleeves let out a tad and had it dry cleaned.

I personally feel like it's too small, but I don't know if it's in the 'acceptable' range of how a peacoat should fit or if it really is just too small. I've had the sleeves let out a bit; any further and I think the lining will be too short so it would mean adding material to the cuffs.

What do you guys think?

Also, please excuse the dreadful photos. I'm currently living on my own in a little apartment in South Korea

Attachments

• IMG_9501.jpg
    IMG_9501.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_9514.JPG
    IMG_9514.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_9520.jpg
    IMG_9520.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 347

Peacoat

Reaction score
Hey all! New to the forum. Was hoping I could get your opinions on this peacoat I just picked up.

It's a 1940's(?) US Navy Peacoat. I paid about $80 for it, had the sleeves let out a tad and had it dry cleaned.

I personally feel like it's too small, but I don't know if it's in the 'acceptable' range of how a peacoat should fit or if it really is just too small. I've had the sleeves let out a bit; any further and I think the lining will be too short so it would mean adding material to the cuffs.

What do you guys think?

Also, please excuse the dreadful photos. I'm currently living on my own in a little apartment in South Korea
Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, unfortunately your peacoat is too small. The sleeves are too short and the length of the coat is too short. Ideally, a peacoat should just cover one's butt, and the sleeves should reach about one inch below the wrist joint.

I would sell this one and go for one a size or two larger.

L'Artisan

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, unfortunately your peacoat is too small. The sleeves are too short and the length of the coat is too short. Ideally, a peacoat should just cover one's butt, and the sleeves should reach about one inch below the wrist joint.

I would sell this one and go for one a size or two larger.

I figured as much. Unfortunately they're not that easy to find here in Korea (or sell for that matter).

I'll probably donate this one to a friend and buy one of the newer US Navy peacoats. Any recommendations for which brand to go with if I want something similar to the WWII style and fabric?

Peacoat

Reaction score
I figured as much. Unfortunately they're not that easy to find here in Korea (or sell for that matter).

I'll probably donate this one to a friend and buy one of the newer US Navy peacoats. Any recommendations for which brand to go with if I want something similar to the WWII style and fabric?
You won't come even close on the fabric, no matter which manufacturer you go with.

Have you tried eBay? There is usually a bunch of them on there. Just read my dating guide before you purchase. At the end I have a section on how to get a good fit in a peacoat. If you read and follow my instructions, that will take most of the guesswork out of the purchase.

L'Artisan

Reaction score
You won't come even close on the fabric, no matter which manufacturer you go with.

Have you tried eBay? There is usually a bunch of them on there. Just read my dating guide before you purchase. At the end I have a section on how to get a good fit in a peacoat. If you read and follow my instructions, that will take most of the guesswork out of the purchase.

Yes the trouble with eBay is the shipping fees usually end up being $50-100. If I can guarantee the fit is right then it's worth it but obviously if the seller doesn't know how to use a tape measure it could be a pain.

I guess the plus side of buying a jacket too small for me is now I know I probably want to add about two inches all over the place to get one the right fit. And the Navy issue jackets from WWII were all standard sizes anyway, like 38, 40, 42 etc so it's unlikely I'll find anything that has weird dimensions (like really short sleeves on a large chest size for example) as they weren't bespoke.

I'll have another look through your guide, grab a tape measure and try and find another WWII jacket on eBay that's the right fit. I saw a 1949 jacket yesterday that looked nice in a size 40 which might do the trick as this one's a 38, but I'm guessing I'll probably need a 42 just for the length.

L'Artisan

Reaction score

Just measured the current pea coat. Pit-to-pit it’s about 19” which would place this as a size 36, right?

Current jacket measurements:

P2P - 19”
Sleeve - 33” (collar to shoulder to cuff) after I had it let out an inch
Back - 28”

Frustratingly, the chest is actually perfect. But the sleeves and hem are probably 2” too short I think (I already let out the sleeves by an inch). I’m guessing I probably want something closer to a 35” sleeve, and a 31” back.

Based on the existing coat, I think I probably want a size 40. A 38 would probably be a perfect fit in the chest but I think the length would be too short (I’m a tall, lanky build!)

Last edited:

L'Artisan

Reaction score
Yes, a p2p of 19 would be a size 36. Actually the p2p would be about 19.25.

If I don't forget, I will measure one of my size 40 peacoats and see what the measurements are. Can't do it right now as my wife is asleep in the bedroom.

Thanks! Yes it’s just over 19. Not quite 19.25 but I think the jacket has seen some shrinkage so that might explain why.

I think a 38 would be ideal for my chest size but the length would probably still be short based on how the current 36 fits. Unfortunately I’m built somewhat like a coat hanger, with broad shoulders and a very flat chest! ? At 6’1 though I also have quite long arms and a long back

Peacoat

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes it’s just over 19. Not quite 19.25 but I think the jacket has seen some shrinkage so that might explain why.

I think a 38 would be ideal for my chest size but the length would probably still be short based on how the current 36 fits. Unfortunately I’m built somewhat like a coat hanger, with broad shoulders and a very flat chest! ? At 6’1 though I also have quite long arms and a long back
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but I got distracted by several different projects.

My unaltered 1967 size 40 peacoat has the following measurements:

21.25" p2p
25.50" Sleeves, measured from the shoulder seam down to the cuff on the outside (elbow side) of the sleeve
32.75" Length in rear from collar seam to the hem of the coat

L'Artisan

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but I got distracted by several different projects.

My unaltered 1967 size 40 peacoat has the following measurements:

21.25" p2p
25.50" Sleeves, measured from the shoulder seam down to the cuff on the outside (elbow side) of the sleeve
32.75" Length in rear from collar seam to the hem of the coat

Apologies for the late reply! A buddy of mine in the UK actually managed to find one with my measurements (similar to your size 40 but a little slimmer) from the 1940's. I've been wearing it for a week now and it's PERFECT, not only sizewise but also just how good condition it's in! The button holes are even still stiff.

Thanks for all your advice!

Peacoat

Reaction score
Apologies for the late reply! A buddy of mine in the UK actually managed to find one with my measurements (similar to your size 40 but a little slimmer) from the 1940's. I've been wearing it for a week now and it's PERFECT, not only sizewise but also just how good condition it's in! The button holes are even still stiff.

Thanks for all your advice!
Good. Glad you got one that fits. You got a WWII coat. They are just a little trimmer than the more modern versions.

L'Artisan

Reaction score
Good. Glad you got one that fits. You got a WWII coat. They are just a little trimmer than the more modern versions.
Yes it feels a bit more 'formal' looking than most peacoats I've seen. A little trimmer, as you said. I got a great deal on it; no holes in the lining, no stains, no moth damage, no frayed button holes even. I suspect it was in storage somewhere (I'm actually wondering whether it might have gone unworn entirely). Thanks again for your advice

SD Buck

Reaction score
I’ve wanted a peacoat for a while. I was thinking about a Schott, but after reading through a lot of this thread, I followed Peacoat’s advice and waited until a 48 showed up on eBay. I think mine is a 1965, but it is like new - heavy, solid, very nice! Only $80. Thanks Peacoat! 2F0D7766-BFDE-4BBF-9E94-41BC5FE80471.jpeg 18FBD7E0-9A59-453C-8699-589112167E08.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics