• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks more like an officers’ bridge coat than a pea coat.
Also until some point in WW2 British officers weren’t issued their uniforms they were given an allowance and sent to go and get them from ‘HM Suppliers’. I have a set of black coveralls that belonged to my Dad from Austin Reed before he got his slate grey broad arrow flight suit. His greatcoat is made by Burberry. Churchill could easily have had that coat made to his own specs so it’s not a great example of typical military issue.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Yes, it is almost as long as a Bridgecoat. They come down past the knees.

When I was in, we had to buy our own uniforms and accessories. Seems that we were given a monthly clothing allowance, but don't remember for sure. All I ever wore were flight suits, so I didn't spend much of it. I did buy a set of dress blues which came in handy for formal parties and weddings.

Stanton

Reaction score
I recently got a Schott 751, it´s a nice slim fit coat, true to size and mid weight.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently ordered a vintage kersey wool pea coat per the sizing and dating information in this thread, should be arriving sometime next week!

Any concerns with just sending it to the dry cleaner? I don't intend to dry clean it often, but always like to send things I purchase from ebay to the cleaner before putting in the normal rotation. I would imagine it is built to be fairly rugged, but then again it is nearly 65 years old...

Peacoat

Reaction score
Recently ordered a vintage kersey wool pea coat per the sizing and dating information in this thread, should be arriving sometime next week!

Any concerns with just sending it to the dry cleaner? I don't intend to dry clean it often, but always like to send things I purchase from ebay to the cleaner before putting in the normal rotation. I would imagine it is built to be fairly rugged, but then again it is nearly 65 years old...
Yes, definitely send it to the cleaners. It is also a good idea to have it dry cleaned at the end of each season to remove any food particles that may have accumulated. If you never eat while wearing your peacoat, then no reason to have it cleaned unless it gets dirty. Cleaning will perk up the appearance of the wool.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My vintage coat was in near perfect condition but had a hint of that unpleasant smell that old stored things sometimes have. Had it cleaned to no I’ll effect and the smell has gone. Needs a brush from time to time especially if you’re wearing a light lambs wool jumper! That’s all!

Toxicant

Reaction score
I have a Pea coat I got from my father, must be 70 or so years old. I dug it out a few weeks ago and decided it was quite disgusting so I had to give it a bath.

Filled the laundry sink with luke warm water and a qtr cup of liquid laundry detergent and started plunging it. I spent about 15 mins, the water was literally black. I have a option on my washer to rinse and spin, it doesn't have a center agitator, so I ran it through that cycle 3 times and then back in a clean sink of water. Let it soak for 20 mins or so and then back in the washer for one more rinse and spin.

Truly amazing how soft the wool was after a few days of hang drying. I guess total time was about a half an hour hands on, the rest, resetting and waiting on the washer.

Peacoat

Reaction score
I have a Pea coat I got from my father, must be 70 or so years old. I dug it out a few weeks ago and decided it was quite disgusting so I had to give it a bath.

Filled the laundry sink with luke warm water and a qtr cup of liquid laundry detergent and started plunging it. I spent about 15 mins, the water was literally black. I have a option on my washer to rinse and spin, it doesn't have a center agitator, so I ran it through that cycle 3 times and then back in a clean sink of water. Let it soak for 20 mins or so and then back in the washer for one more rinse and spin.

Truly amazing how soft the wool was after a few days of hang drying. I guess total time was about a half an hour hands on, the rest, resetting and waiting on the washer.
The problem I would have with doing it that way would be the time involved. I would rather take it to the dry cleaner and not take a chance on it shrinking. Did it shrink and can you take a pic of the tag?

Toxicant

Reaction score
The problem I would have with doing it that way would be the time involved. I would rather take it to the dry cleaner and not take a chance on it shrinking. Did it shrink and can you take a pic of the tag?
I had no issue with shrinkage, only used warm water and air dried it over a radiant heat floor about three feet above. I've been washing my sweaters the same way and also silk ties with the only difference being in how I dry them, laid flat between turkish towels on a table.

At some point I'd like to have the lining replaced, if anyone knows of a good place to have that restoration performed I'd welcome the information. I live in Maine and there are limited choices as far as anything thing to do with alterations/sizing/repairs.

Attachments

• pea.jpg
    pea.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 133

Peacoat

Reaction score
I had no issue with shrinkage, only used warm water and air dried it over a radiant heat floor about three feet above. I've been washing my sweaters the same way and also silk ties with the only difference being in how I dry them, laid flat between turkish towels on a table.

At some point I'd like to have the lining replaced, if anyone knows of a good place to have that restoration performed I'd welcome the information. I live in Maine and there are limited choices as far as anything thing to do with alterations/sizing/repairs.
Congratulations, you scored a 1949 peacoat. Many of us feel the finish on these coats is the nicest of any of the contracts. I have a 1949, and it has a better finish than my other 14 peacoats.

Toxicant

Reaction score
Congratulations, you scored a 1949 peacoat. Many of us feel the finish on these coats is the nicest of any of the contracts. I have a 1949, and it has a better finish than my other 14 peacoats.
I know what you mean, I've had the coat for 30 years or so and always thought it was kind of rough and poor quality but once I washed it, so smooth.

So with the user name "Peacoat" no recommendations on the lining restoration? :)

Peacoat

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I've had the coat for 30 years or so and always thought it was kind of rough and poor quality but once I washed it, so smooth.

So with the user name "Peacoat" no recommendations on the lining restoration? :)
I don't know what shape your lining is in, but it would be better to have it repaired if that is possible. If mine needed repair, I would have it done locally.

The only person I can think of is Dena Hamilton with Great Leather in Avon, Illinois. Don't know if she would work on a peacoat as her specialty is leather. Not only is she the best leather restorer east of the Mississippi, she is also pretty. Link below:

therattler

Reaction score
Guys - does anyone know where I can get a good 6 button peacoat in black? I had a great one from club monaco for years, but its sadly too small these days.

Reaction score
I'd love to pick up the Schott 714 one day; the knee-length pea coat in 32oz Melton wool. I'm wondering if anyone here has this coat or has seen it/tried it out and could offer any comments? Also, do the Schott pea coats go on sale very often on their website? I have a mid-weight pea coat and a mid-weight duffle coat (amongst other winter coats) and would like to get a heavyweight pea coat as an alternative to my parkas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads