• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the WWI peacoat. They are longer. I have only seen one of those advertised for sale on ebay. There are repros, however, that are quite good. Buzz Rickson comes to mind, but I have never been able to pin down the type of shell used in their repros.
Sir Winston Churchill used what is called by Globerall as a "Churchill reefer peacoat", although it could be a "bridge coat", used by officers: the key difference is length.

eb422df7e0b604d4b790bb4c4f4677de--men-coat-peacoats.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they dont do XXS nor do officine general
As you are quite slim, it's going to be hard to find your size as a RTW. Have you thought of trying the woman's version? They should be slender without significant differences in design, although with different cloth composition.

Another way to go is what I had to do: going to a tailor for alterations.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Sir Winston Churchill used what is called by Globerall as a "Churchill reefer peacoat", although it could be a "bridge coat", used by officers: the key difference is length.

eb422df7e0b604d4b790bb4c4f4677de--men-coat-peacoats.jpg

The coat Sir Winston is wearing is maybe the English version of the peacoat? A bridge coat is below the knee. If I can find a picture, I will post it.

nekromantik

Reaction score
As you are quite slim, it's going to be hard to find your size as a RTW. Have you thought of trying the woman's version? They should be slender without significant differences in design, although with different cloth composition.

Never tried women's.
For reference this is my old peacoat I wear.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_224914__01.jpg
    IMG_20200111_224914__01.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 973

Peacoat

Reaction score
Here is the US Navy bridge coat worn by officers and chiefs. This is an officer's coat as it has the rank on the shoulder boards. Chiefs don't wear rank on their bridge coats. If they choose to wear a peacoat, they do wear their rank. I doubt, however, that a chief has worn a peacoat since they were authorized to wear the bridge coat. Usually, when they make chief, they sell their peacoats and buy a bridge coat.

Bridgecoat.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat Sir Winston is wearing is maybe the English version of the peacoat? A bridge coat is below the knee. If I can find a picture, I will post it.
Yes, you are right: I had the British tradition in mind, Globerall is an English brand and their garments are inspired by their Navy.

The bridge coat as you are referring is like the following images:

CoachK_bridgeCOAT.jpg

m_5d0146052a568ee310e5119b.jpeg

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never tried women's.
For reference this is my old peacoat I wear.

img_20200111_224914__01-jpg.1315212

Well, it looks quite oversized as well: you can tell by your shoulders position under the peacoat and the large room amount at your chest. It looks like a large overcoat that you could use over another jacket.

nekromantik

Reaction score
img_20200111_224914__01-jpg.1315212

Well, it looks quite oversized as well: you can tell by your shoulders position under the peacoat and the large room amount at your chest. It looks like a large overcoat that you could use over another jacket.

Yeah notice it more now haha
will look at some slim fit pea coats to see if I can find any

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah notice it more now haha
will look at some slim fit pea coats to see if I can find any
You have to nail your shoulders, otherwise it will always look oversized. If you are going to wear layers, such as a chunky sweater, try your peacoat over it.

When I suggested a woman's peacoat, it has nothing to do with your gender. As you are quite slim and the peacoat design is almost the same, maybe you could find something slender, closer to your body built.

Some reading:

nekromantik

Reaction score
You have to nail your shoulders, otherwise it will always look oversized. If you are going to wear layers, such as a chunky sweater, try your peacoat over it.

When I suggested a woman's peacoat, it has nothing to do with your gender. As you are quite slim and the peacoat design is almost the same, maybe you could find something slender, closer to your body built.

Some reading:

yup will take a look at womens fits

Razing

Reaction score
I recently bought a used post WWII Sterlingwear peacoat off ebay and I'm wondering if someone did something to the sleeves as they appear to be ludicrously short. I'm 5'10" with a 42" chest but small shoulders so I went with a size 40 peacoat and everything fits quite well aside from the sleeves imo. I've included a couple images of me sitting and standing while wearing the peacoat buttoned up. I'd like to hear some educated guesses as to why this coat fits me the way it does in the arms. Thanks.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Peacoat

Reaction score
Those sleeves have been shortened. When buying off ebay, I always get the p2p and the length of the sleeves to head off something like this. To see how to measure p2p and sleeves see my article on peacoat dating, linked below. The section on measurements is toward the end.

Look inside the cuff to see if some of the material has been saved. I doubt it, but it's worth a look.

LawDawg

Reaction score
Good afternoon to my fellow vintage peacoat enthusiasts! I'm a new member, but I've been lurking the styleforum peacoat threads for several years. I currently own several USN peacoats, and everything I know about peacoats, I learned from the above user, Peacoat, so a big tip of the hat to Mr. Peacoat.

I just wanted to offer to the members here my mint condition (estimated size) size 38 ten button WWII era peacoat. It has no moth damage whatsoever and looks so new it could almost pass as one of the Japanese reproductions, were it not for some subtle wear on the edges of the cuffs and two sailor's names stenciled inside the coat.

The coat is an amazing vintage piece. It still has the throat latch, and of course the beige corduroy pockets. There are two negatives: all of the tags have been removed, so unfortunately there is no cool "Naval Clothing Factory" anchor tag, and also one of the buttons towards the top was at some point snagged and pulled loose so that the fabric is torn beneath the button. The tear appears to be limited to about a quarter inch and is entirely hidden by the button. I wore the coat for several weeks before I even noticed, so it is not at all apparent. It should be an easy fix by a decent tailor, and the fix would be hidden entirely by the button.

I would keep this coat and wear it forever, but it's just a hair snug for my taste, and I have no intent of trying to have it altered by my tailor. It should be kept as-is by someone who will appreciate it and maintain it in good condition.

Price is $200 (or best offer) shipped / (CONUS only) (Paypal friends and family)

Measurements are:

Pit to pit: 20"
Shoulder to shoulder: 19"
Shoulder to the end of sleeve: 25"
Total length from collar seam to hem: 31"

If there is any interest, I would of course be happy to share pics.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads