1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I'm looking to buy a nice peacoat, but unsure as to what size I should purchase. I'm 6'6" (2 m), with a 40" chest, 34" waist, and for dress shirts I have size 36" sleeves. Can anyone recommend some brands to check out for peacoats and what sizes would fit me? I plan to tailor the waist of the coat, so the main factor here is sleeve length. Coat will be worn in Wisconsin, so a thick one should suffice.

Thanks
    Joe

Get a Sterlingwear or vintage Navy (if you can find it) in 36L if you usually wear a 38, or 38L if you wear a size 40 jacket. Personally, I'd leave the chest/waist alone, since part of the stylishness of the coat is the, not boxiness, but straightness of it.

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

If you have a 40" chest, your jackets should be size 40. You could size down to a 38 in peacoats, but if you do I think you'll probably want an XL to get good length through the body. I say this because I'm "only" 6'3" with 36" sleeves, I wear anywhere from a 38L-40L jacket depending on the maker (I also have a MTM jacket based on a 38XL pattern), and I just bought a 40L peacoat from Sterlingwear. It's a somewhat loose fit, with good length in the sleeves and body.

3. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

title pretty much says it all... saw it in the window today and was curious...

4. Max

Max Senior member

It's nice, but I wouldn't spend the money on it. The collar is well constructed.

5. Flame

Flame Senior member

The $285 that the seller is asking for on ebay/B&S forum a while ago is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay over $200 for it.

6. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

For $285 I'd rather buy the one from Polo.com. The coupon's dead, btw.

7. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

where did you see it in a window?

yeah i don't think anyone that bought one is even wearing it, just selling it on ebay

8. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

where did you see it in a window? yeah i don't think anyone that bought one is even wearing it, just selling it on ebay
    I recognized the arrow-embossed-buttons on the mannequin in Boston's Downtown Crossing store... unless H&M is now putting arrow buttons on their mainline peacoats. A friend of mine who is a Visual Manager (read:mannequin dresser) at H&M said that the pea coat was the worst-selling of all the V&R men's items, probably because H&M also has about 5 other pea coats this year, all at a range of lower pricepoints. Unless you are some V&R completist, I'm sure you'd go for one of their other options (especially considering the thrifty mindset with which most people enter H&M). With any luck it'll be marked-down soon.

9. PigeonHustle

PigeonHustle Member

I picked one up the day they opened in L.A. and finally got to wear it the other night... I love it. It has a great feel, and several people gave compliments. I'm still not sure about the construction of the V&R H&M stuff so I guess time will tell. For now I have no reservations about saying that I'm very happy with the purchase.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'd buy a sterlingwear but they dont seem to make theirs in Navy. I only see Traditional Black, Grey, Red and Burgundy. Im considering going with a jacket from Fidelity . I tried them on once at an army surplus store and they had the "normal" rough feel. Anyone have experience with them?

11. Pete

Pete Active Member

I went to the surplus store and tried on the various us navy issued peacoats...but being skinny and somewhat shorter (5'10") they were all slightly long. Expecially for tight jeans in my opinion. came down to below my ass, and that definately disapointed me.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

That's how they are supposed to fit, but you could always have one tailored a bit shorter if you wanted.

13. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I've always wanted a peacoat, but given my height (5'6") I've thought I looked weird in one.
    thoughts?

I have an Asian friend who's about your height and he has a peacoat that looks good. I would suggest that you buy one that is proportionally shorter than average.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Try a military peacoat 34 or 36S. I've seen short sizes on ebay and other places.

15. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Any pictures of the H&M version?

16. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Anyone here know if the Polo stores in either Boston or NYC is selling the peacoat in a small? The website is no longer selling any smalls.

17. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I got the medium and it was too big for me. I'm exchanging it for a small.

Hi Andy, I'm just wondering what is your chest size? I'm assuming you wear 36 for suits and or coats?

18. andyl

andyl Well-Known Member

19. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

yes, I wear size 36

macys.com has a size small

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Type=EverGreen

That's awesome, but Polo has the 30% off coupon though. I wonder what Macy's shipping policy is like on the coat? I'm assuming that is the same coat as the one on Polo's website? It does have the same price. The bad thing is that I don't see any pickup option. I much rather reserve it by buying and go there to pick up the coat instead of paying $20 for shipping.

Did you made the exchange yet? If so, I'm wondering how's the fit?

20. andyl

andyl Well-Known Member

I bought the small from macy's and also returned the medium to macys...

the small fits a lot better than the medium since I'm a size 36