• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who have one: are the measurements on the website accurate?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Sterlingwear, but i can vouch for authentic Navy pea coats being super warm and sized fairly accurately. I have a vintage Navy pea coat in 40R that I'm thinking of selling only because it's a little large on me (I'm a 38R). PM me if you are interested. I'll list it in B&S soon.

kalanigee

Reaction score
Does Sterlingwear not make their coats in navy blue? All I see is Black, Oxford Grey, Burgundy, and Ruby Red? When did you Navy Blue owners get yours?

kalanigee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arsenik509
I'm in the Navy and could go to the NEX and see how much we get these for. I might be able to do a proxy, if it's not against our regs or anything.

I might be interested too...depending on how much...

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kalanigee
Does Sterlingwear not make their coats in navy blue? All I see is Black, Oxford Grey, Burgundy, and Ruby Red? When did you Navy Blue owners get yours?
I heard if you request a navy one they'll do it for you.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I heard too..=[

my coat prob won't be here in 2-3 weeks. I'm really anixous on the fit.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging solely from the website, it appears the J Crew peacoat is made of thinner wool material, is not fully lined, but has an Ipod patch pocket, may fit a slight bit better (details list darts for a better fit) and a few smaller details. IMO, at about a hundred bucks less, the Sterlingwear is of much better quality and is warmer. For less than the cost of the J Crew coat, you can buy a Sterlingwear and have it very well tailored.

Clyde099

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Judging solely from the website, it appears the J Crew peacoat is made of thinner wool material, is not fully lined, but has an Ipod patch pocket, may fit a slight bit better (details list darts for a better fit) and a few smaller details. IMO, at about a hundred bucks less, the Sterlingwear is of much better quality and is warmer. For less than the cost of the J Crew coat, you can buy a Sterlingwear and have it very well tailored.

Thanks for your input!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've seen the J Crew peacoat in person (its in a bunch of the stores... dunno why it says online only), and it is in fact lined, but is overpriced, has less thick wool than the sterlingwear does, and is bizarrely sized, so if you try to size down for a slim fit, it'll end up being too small in the shoulders.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized down two chest sizes from my normal suit size (36 --> 34), and it fits like a long narrow box. I don't exactly have much of a drop, so suppressing the waist would be next to useless. However, to avoid that whole "melding with the crowd" fear, I switched out the buttons with these pretty sweet bronze buttons I found online.

The alignment of the new buttons is unfortunately off, so I'll be tweaking it a bit and posting the results soon for all to see.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just bought the banana republic monogrammed peacoat. its 550 regular, but i returned a suit i paid 200 for a 500 dollar gift card and used a 25% off coupon from borders. The coat fits amazing and it is of great quality. 80% wool, 20 % cashmere. I'm a 38R with a 30 waist and the size S coat fit me far better than some of the versace and burberry coats I tried on. It is also much better quality than the versace coat shown at nordstrom and saks.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tried on the apc peacoat in the soho store. nice coat, well fitting, but super expensive at like 570 i believe. the navy one is shorter and they have a longer grey one priced at 560. Favorite so far is the banana republic monogrammed coat. its 550, but got it discounted. fits great and super warm and soft.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads