Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Sander

Sander Senior member

For those who have one: are the measurements on the website accurate?

2. TJS1589

TJS1589 Senior member

Anyone have cropped pea coat pictures?

3. zissou

zissou Senior member

Not sure about Sterlingwear, but i can vouch for authentic Navy pea coats being super warm and sized fairly accurately. I have a vintage Navy pea coat in 40R that I'm thinking of selling only because it's a little large on me (I'm a 38R). PM me if you are interested. I'll list it in B&S soon.

4. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

Does Sterlingwear not make their coats in navy blue? All I see is Black, Oxford Grey, Burgundy, and Ruby Red? When did you Navy Blue owners get yours?

5. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

I'm in the Navy and could go to the NEX and see how much we get these for. I might be able to do a proxy, if it's not against our regs or anything.

I might be interested too...depending on how much...

6. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Does Sterlingwear not make their coats in navy blue? All I see is Black, Oxford Grey, Burgundy, and Ruby Red? When did you Navy Blue owners get yours?
    I heard if you request a navy one they'll do it for you.

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Yeah that's what I heard too..=[

my coat prob won't be here in 2-3 weeks. I'm really anixous on the fit.

8. Clyde099

Clyde099 Well-Known Member

9. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Judging solely from the website, it appears the J Crew peacoat is made of thinner wool material, is not fully lined, but has an Ipod patch pocket, may fit a slight bit better (details list darts for a better fit) and a few smaller details. IMO, at about a hundred bucks less, the Sterlingwear is of much better quality and is warmer. For less than the cost of the J Crew coat, you can buy a Sterlingwear and have it very well tailored.

10. Clyde099

Clyde099 Well-Known Member

Judging solely from the website, it appears the J Crew peacoat is made of thinner wool material, is not fully lined, but has an Ipod patch pocket, may fit a slight bit better (details list darts for a better fit) and a few smaller details. IMO, at about a hundred bucks less, the Sterlingwear is of much better quality and is warmer. For less than the cost of the J Crew coat, you can buy a Sterlingwear and have it very well tailored.

Thanks for your input!

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

I've seen the J Crew peacoat in person (its in a bunch of the stores... dunno why it says online only), and it is in fact lined, but is overpriced, has less thick wool than the sterlingwear does, and is bizarrely sized, so if you try to size down for a slim fit, it'll end up being too small in the shoulders.

12. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I sized down two chest sizes from my normal suit size (36 --> 34), and it fits like a long narrow box. I don't exactly have much of a drop, so suppressing the waist would be next to useless. However, to avoid that whole "melding with the crowd" fear, I switched out the buttons with these pretty sweet bronze buttons I found online.

The alignment of the new buttons is unfortunately off, so I'll be tweaking it a bit and posting the results soon for all to see.

13. beansprouts1

beansprouts1 Senior member

I just bought the banana republic monogrammed peacoat. its 550 regular, but i returned a suit i paid 200 for a 500 dollar gift card and used a 25% off coupon from borders. The coat fits amazing and it is of great quality. 80% wool, 20 % cashmere. I'm a 38R with a 30 waist and the size S coat fit me far better than some of the versace and burberry coats I tried on. It is also much better quality than the versace coat shown at nordstrom and saks.

14. beansprouts1

beansprouts1 Senior member

tried on the apc peacoat in the soho store. nice coat, well fitting, but super expensive at like 570 i believe. the navy one is shorter and they have a longer grey one priced at 560. Favorite so far is the banana republic monogrammed coat. its 550, but got it discounted. fits great and super warm and soft.

15. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

If you size down on the Schott, it can be relatively slim. But the fabric is so thick (32oz), that it fits boxy no matter what. It's a really heavy coat.

does schott really fit like this?

http://www.1starmy.com/uploadimages/Product_726_enl.JPG