• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off. Unless it is indeed your rank (and commissioned coat), in which case I would still say take it off.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it looks smashing if you walk around with that expression on your face all day

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off. Have some respect for the people who actually have earned that rank.

modal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Off. Have some respect for the people who actually have earned that rank.

+1

I'd be uncomfortable walking around with that. Aesthetically it's fine, though.

warrengharding

Reaction score
I agree with removing the patch to respect those who earned that rank.

That said, I recently purchased a peacoat with a patch myself. What is the best way to remove it?

Thanks.

moosy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warrengharding
I agree with removing the patch to respect those who earned that rank.

That said, I recently purchased a peacoat with a patch myself. What is the best way to remove it?

Thanks.

Give it to your tailor

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
or; if you feel comfortable doing so, you could just use a seam removal tool.

Surfrider

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is *not* a WWII P coat. In fact (and I'm sorry to tell you this), it's not even close to the WWII period.
frown.gif
From this one picture, it appears to me an 80's-era piece, though I can't be 100% sure without seeing several of the coat's details.

If the gift-giver paid a premium price for an item that was represented as WWII vintage, they should contact the seller and get a refund; the seller was either preying on the ignorance of the buyer, or ignorant themselves (as is often the case). Late-model coats like yours can be had very cheaply on eBay; usually under $50 for an item in excellent condition.

That said, if the buyer didn't pay through the nose for it, and you don't have your heart set on a true WWII item, keep it! Although pre-war and wartime coats are warmer, better constructed, and made with superior materials (heavier, 100% wool, as opposed to the lighter, 80/20 wool/synthetic blend from which yours is made), you still have a very good garment. It will wear harder and longer than your average designer-label "peacoat," and unlike many couture items, the cut of your coat is absolutely timeless; 50 years from now, you can wear it and be perfectly fashionable.

I can probably date your coat down to the year, but you'd need to provide me with some more pictures. Let me know if you're interested.

PS: Removing the patch will be very simple; tailor, or a seam ripper + patience will have the same effect. Either way, I'd say remove it. Possible disrespect-to-military-personnel aside, feel the patch not only detracts from the timelessness of the coat, but also takes ones attention away from the coat as a whole.

wagman45

Reaction score
haha aw, that's a bummer. regardless i still dig the **** out of it :) and it was cheap too, so i'm not bummed about the thrift store being wrong :)

dougie

Reaction score
surfrider, what are you going on here? i agree that the chance is good that it's not WW2, but what makes you say it's a 1980s piece? wagman, what are the pockets lined with?

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the sizing of Hare peacoats compare with that of Inapt tight-fit peacoats?

pantheist

Reaction score
i have measurements of a large hare peacoat listed in my thread in buying and selling. if that's of any help.

bigskydream

Reaction score
I'm looking for a navy wool coat/jacket that is like a peacoat, but does not have two sets of buttons, and maybe not as large of a lapel. Any ideas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads