1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. weider1717

weider1717 New Member

2. troyskywalk

troyskywalk New Member

Soliciting advice about sizing. I'm going to buy a vintage navy issued peacoat and am deciding between a 38r and 40r. I heard the older peacoats are trimmer. I'm 5'7" 173lbs with a 39" chest that may get bigger since I'm lifting a fair amount. Would appreciate any advice

3. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

If you lose enough weight to reduce your chest to 38" a size 36 peacoat ought to fit you OK. P2p of 20" or a little less in a size 38 ought to give a good fit.

A short size may have been made, but I'm not sure I have ever seen one. If you get a good fit everywhere except the sleeves, they can easily be taken up. Tell the tailor to not trim the excess so the sleeves can be returned to original if the coat is sold.

A size 38 ought to give a good fit, especially if you gain an inch in the chest.

Yes, the older coats are a bit more trim, although most would not notice the difference. I classify vintage as pre 1980, and that is what you will want to look for. The wool shell (Kersey) is much nicer than the post 1979 Melton shell.

If you haven't already noticed, the link to my peacoat dating guide is noted in my signature line below. There is also a section on fit toward the end.

Good luck to both of you in the hunt.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  5. mclmm

mclmm Member

I'm the same height and weight, but with a ~43" chest and 32" waist. My current Sterlingwear pea coat is a 44r. The shoulders are probably 1-1.5" too wide per side, and far too big through the waist. So, I'm thinking of dropping down to a 42r or 40r, but am concerned about tightness through the chest.

Any fit guidance?

6. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

You are a tweener (between sizes) and more difficult to fit. I would try a size 42 from Sterlingwear. If it is too large, you can send it back and get a size 40. I would be concerned that the size 40 would be too short in the sleeves. As you already have the size 44, you will have a good idea how the size 42 will fit.

7. mclmm

mclmm Member

Thanks, Peacoat.

I should have clarified that my tailor shortened the sleeves on the 44. As a reference, my mtm dress shirt sleeves are 32.75".

You can get a sense of my build in this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/380371/proper-cloth-official-affiliate-thread/885#post_8126662

Does that help?

8. clyde123

clyde123 New Member

If its of any interest to anyone I'm currently selling a BNWT APC Peacoat size XL

9. thomasB

thomasB Well-Known Member

Please excuse my shameless plug...my J crew dock peacoat size M is up in the marketplace

10. rchdggr

rchdggr Active Member

I just got a late 60s USN Dale Fashions peacoat in size 36 to replace one in size 34 from 1945. The 36 fits and looks better in most ways except for the shoulders. I'm wondering if there is any chance of finding an USN peacoat in size 36 with shoulders that are a bit more narrow than usual. Maybe a certain vintage? The difference in shoulder width is 0.75", just enough to make the 36 look a little off in my eyes. I'm not sure if anyone else would notice.

Edit: I re-read Peacoat's guide and it stated that a WWII coat might be smaller in the shoulder. I'll see if I can find some for sale.. I wonder if the post-war peacoats from the early fifties are any smaller than the late 60s one?

What about alterations? I guess such a small narrowing of the shoulders (0.75") would be doable?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  11. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Just received this Fidelity peacoat from Vermont's Barre in the mail. Got it for less than $120 with free shipping on Black Friday. I originally bought a size 40R Sterlingwear US military issued coat that was NWT on ebay and had to resell it because it was just too big. Got a 38R in the Fidelity and it fits great.

https://shop.vtarmynavy.com/fidelity-army-navy-wool-pea-coats-p995.aspx

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  12. Bizjak

Bizjak New Member

What do you guys think of this peacoat? My only concern is that it might be an inch or two too short...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  13. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

A peacoat needs to just cover the butt. You may, however, wear it any way you wish.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  14. arcsaberzslash

arcsaberzslash Active Member

looking good Bizjack, what brand ist this?

15. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

I don't think it's too short, it looks really good (not boxy...and a good slim fit)...I got one by RRL this year and it doesn't quite cover my butt (but I know it fits me well and that's how it's supposed to look for that brand)..I think it has a lot to do with styling/brand...

16. wanksy

wanksy Senior member

does anyone have an actual fitpic of the Balmain x H&M navy peacoat? also how's the quality given you pay retail? don't usually go for h&m, but bcs it's a collaboration, i assumed that it'll be in a higher quality than typical h&m piece, right?

cheers

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  17. Bizjak

Bizjak New Member

It's by some company called Clockhouse, I was looking at this peacoat in a C&A store here in Europe. The funny thing is, this peacoat is 50 euros (the tag also said 70% wool, yeah right). If it had a few extra inches, I would totally go for it (maybe it's my height, I'm 6' 1")... This way I'm still deciding.

EDIT: I decided to buy it, the price was just too good :D

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  18. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Just bought the Buzz Rickson 1910 from History Preservation. Holy bejeebus this is a heavy coat. 36oz wool. Very stiff out of the box and I'm hoping it does soften up slightly but it seems like that could take years. :)

Buttons aren't affixed as well as they could be so when I had the tailor shorten the sleeves I also had them reinforce all the buttons. If they don't stay on, I may eventually have them open up the lining and add those metal discs that secure the buttons from the inside. Don't remember what they're called.

All in all, this is an amazingly warm coat; maybe too warm for San Francisco so after a while I may end up selling it. Or I'll just keep it forever and give it to my kid someday. There's no doubt it will last.

Fit is good - will post some pics when I can though I'm sure there have been plenty throughout the thread.

1 person likes this.
  19. thomasB

thomasB Well-Known Member

If you decide to sell down the road PM me first [​IMG]

20. Cooly

Cooly Senior member

fit picks please [​IMG]