• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Argyle

Reaction score
BadgerBush: Use Peacoat's sizing guide for a good fit. The Mil Specs are a bit on the large size, so you ought to try and get a pit to pit measurement from Sterlingwear. If you want a trim fit, you probably should go down one size from your measured chest size, using the pit to pit on the coat as a guide, of course.

Last edited:

hyogen

Reaction score

wow, tried this on and it fits like it should.. REALLY slim arm holes...... I'm a 38-40 and the Small was just a little too snug, and the M was maybe a tiny bit too big. I need to lose some pounds and the small would be perfect.

The only thing I didn't like was that it was just a little too short. Too cropped of a peacoat, imo. It was $128 at the store and 30% off today. The quality looked pretty nice - at least as good as H&M's I'm sure.. Not THAT huge of a difference between the quality of this and the Jcrew one.

I tried on the Bayswater again (I've owned it before), and while it was pretty nice--the armholes and sleeves are pretty big.

bik2101

Reaction score
anyone know the pit to pit measurement on the sterlingwear authntic peacoat for a size 36?

Mint Forest

Reaction score
wow, tried this on and it fits like it should.. REALLY slim arm holes...... I'm a 38-40 and the Small was just a little too snug, and the M was maybe a tiny bit too big. I need to lose some pounds and the small would be perfect.
The only thing I didn't like was that it was just a little too short. Too cropped of a peacoat, imo. It was $128 at the store and 30% off today. The quality looked pretty nice - at least as good as H&M's I'm sure.. Not THAT huge of a difference between the quality of this and the Jcrew one.
I tried on the Bayswater again (I've owned it before), and while it was pretty nice--the armholes and sleeves are pretty big.

I plan to go to check out the coats in store tomorrow. I've never had a peacoat before, so I'm thinking one of the two from Gap might be a good start if the quality is ok.

The cropped navy peacoat is in stores though? It's labelled as a gap.com exclusive. The same for the Bayswater, I thought it was a online only thing? Which stores did you go to?

pleco

Reaction score
FYI - Just put a size small of Billy Reid's Officer Coat from last year up on buy and sell.

I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Billy Reid peacoat. Assuming that the sizing is similar on the BR smalls - may I ask what your measurements are for a good fit with the small? I'm 5'10", 155lbs average/slim build. The Bond peacoat has a 39" chest listed so I'm a bit worried it'll run large on me, but then it does say trim fitting and I don't trust manufacturers specifications! I tend to be a snug 36R or a small 38R in suits, probably favour 36R more often.

(Taken from a suit jacket laying flat)
Chest – 19.5”
Waist – 18.2”
Shoulder – 17.9” (a touch larger than I need but likely good for an overcoat)
Length – (Bottom of collar seam downward) – 29.5”
Sleeve – (From middle of collar) – 32.8”
Sleeve – (From top of sleeve) – 24”

I'd really appreciate thoughts on this. BR measurements are listed as length - 29.25, chest 39", waist 37.5", shoulder 18", sleeve 34.5". If this would be a sucky fit, ideas for a good peacoat that'd suit me better sizing wise would be really appreciated.

DRSATAN

Reaction score
What would people call a single breasted peacoat? I'm essentially looking for something of a peacoat style but fitted and as I say, preferably single breasted.

Peacoat

Reaction score

anyone know the pit to pit measurement on the sterlingwear authntic peacoat for a size 36? 

It should be about 19.25" but it is best to contact Sterlingwear to find the most current sizing. I have found that the Authentic series is fitted the closest to the current issue sizing. Sizes have gotten larger over the years, so best to check before you buy.

Also, the smaller sizes--34 and 36--don't fit the same sizing pattern as size 38 and above. Their p2p measurements are generally a bit larger.

Peacoat

Reaction score

A single breasted peacoat.

Great answer! But experience tells us that all pea coats are double breasted; therefore, a single breasted coat can't be a peacoat. It is a single breasted fashion garment. They should be easy to find. I have seen a bunch of them.

Peacoat

Reaction score

I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a Billy Reid peacoat. Assuming that the sizing is similar on the BR smalls - may I ask what your measurements are for a good fit with the small? I'm 5'10", 155lbs average/slim build. The Bond peacoat has a 39" chest listed so I'm a bit worried it'll run large on me, but then it does say trim fitting and I don't trust manufacturers specifications! I tend to be a snug 36R or a small 38R in suits, probably favour 36R more often.

(Taken from a suit jacket laying flat)
Chest – 19.5”
Waist – 18.2”
Shoulder – 17.9” (a touch larger than I need but likely good for an overcoat)
Length – (Bottom of collar seam downward) – 29.5”
Sleeve – (From middle of collar) – 32.8”
Sleeve – (From top of sleeve) – 24”

I'd really appreciate thoughts on this. BR measurements are listed as length - 29.25, chest 39", waist 37.5", shoulder 18", sleeve 34.5". If this would be a sucky fit, ideas for a good peacoat that'd suit me better sizing wise would be really appreciated.

You need to read my comments on peacoat sizing and how to obtain a good peacoat fit. They are contained throughout this thread and in an article I wrote, which is linked in my signature line below. I think I gave a fairly comprehensive guide a few pages back. The key is to remove as many variables as possible and rely only on objective information.

You should start by measuring the circumference of your chest and then obtaining the pit to pit measurement of the peacoat you are thinking of buying. That gives you two objective measurements--assuming both are accurate--and eliminates relying on comments such as snug, loose, suit size, jacket size or the stated tag size of the garment. Manufactures use their own method of determining garment size, and it can vary by two inches or more. That can be the difference between a good fit and a loose fit, or no fit at all.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great answer! But experience tells us that all pea coats are double breasted; therefore, a single breasted coat can't be a peacoat.

I would have thought so to, until I checked google.

Obviously these aren't peacoats, but that's what came up when I typed "single breasted peacoat". So I thought maybe it was a thing.

DRSATAN

Reaction score
ha, yeah single breasted peacoat inspired is what I am after, to be honest, exactly like that last pic although minus the ridiculous zips...
Just wondered if they had a specific name obviously not.
cheers

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of shoes look best with pea coats?

I currently have chelsea boots and chukka boots in suede, and I think I will buy a pair of wingtips boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads