1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for a bit of help regarding the sizing of this coat. I was born and raised in Florida, so I've really had no use for actual winter clothing. However, as the Florida days will soon be over, I needed to invest in something warm. It feels nice, but it also feels quite roomy, especially when I look at the pictures. However, what do I know about how a peacoat should fit, that's why I've come to you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Well-Known Member

It is a couple of sizes too large for you. Go to the link in my signature for advice on sizing and fitting. That section is toward the end of the guide.

3. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

Thank you for your quick reply, and thank you for the guide. This is a size Medium, which is funny because when I was in the store trying them on (a large was the only one available) two of the sales associates said Large fit perfectly... I disagreed, and for some odd reason only sized down to a medium. The only size left is small, should I return this and order that? Thanks again, by the way.

4. Peacoat

If you can try on the small, do so and see how it fits. Based on how the medium fits you, I would say the small would be a better fit than what you have now.

5. joel_954

joel_954 Well-Known Member

6. smartie-pants

smartie-pants Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with the Belstaff Harris peacoat? At retail I. would not consider it, but I've found it on sale for 30% off which makes it a little more digestible.

Looks to be very slim fitting.

7. DRSATAN

DRSATAN Member

Do any of the experts on here have links to any single breasted peacoats?

I'm sure people will say that's not strictly a peacoat but I have seen them sold under that name!
    Cheers in advance

8. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Sterlingwear has some.

1 person likes this.
  9. DRSATAN

DRSATAN Member

Excellent, exactly what I was after, many thanks.
    And if anyone knows any alternatives that'd be great.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. bwhli

bwhli Member

Fit opinions?

This is a mint condition WW2 pea coat in size 36. Mostly looking for feedback on the shoulders. Do they look a tad big or okay?

[​IMG]

I also have a size 34 WW2 that I wear when I'm not layering. That one is obviously slimmer, but can't button it up if I wear a sweater. I'm going to go to a tailor and get the buttons moved maybe half an inch to make it just a tad bigger.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Looks too big and therefore costume-like to me. I'd stick with the 34 and not worry about layering so much.

12. Peacoat

I wouldn't move the buttons so you can wear a sweater with the size 34. You have the 36 for the sweater wear.

The shoulders look fine.

13. burnso

burnso Well-Known Member

Hi Peacoat, appreciate the guide and was wondering if I could get your opinion on a Sterlingwear coat sizing for myself?

Chest 41"/ Height 189cm (6'2")/ Weight 95kgs (14.96 stone)/ athletic lean

Few points:
    - Usually will wear without layers underneath
    - Prefer tailored feel but concern about too tight in chest (and restriction of movement in arms etc)
    - P2P on a (good fitting?) existing coat is 24"!!
    - Shoulder yoke 19.5"
    - Length? ... An existing coat at 33" sits right at crotch height/ where crotch ends on a well fitting pair of jeans. To me this feels like an in-between kind of length, but appears to be ideal, but Im not sure.
    - So I thought I would be looking at a size 44, but I get the impression you would be thinking more of a 42 or even a 40?
    - I can take more measurements if required. Im in Australia so returns are not ideal if Im wrong

Really appreciate any opinions you might have.

14. Peacoat

Unfortuantely, you are too tall, too slender with arms too long to get a good fit in a vintage peacoat. For your chest measurement, I would recommend a size 40 (p2p 21.25") or even a size 38 (p2p 20.2 5"). A peacoat of that chest size wouldn't be long enough in the sleeves or in the torso.

The jacket that fits you well that measures 24" p2p is not a peacoat. That would translate into a size 46, which would swallow you. Peacoats are different. That is why I have never recommended using the measurement from an existing coat for a comparison--unless that coat is a peacoat.

15. burnso

burnso Well-Known Member

16. trvlr472

trvlr472 Well-Known Member

It's not a real peacoat but you might want to take a look at Filson's Makinaw Cruisers. They now make one with a slimmer fit for those that didn't like the boxy fit which was originally designed to layer underneath. I've had a standard Makinaw for well over 10 years and I love it. I finally wore the elbows out and had to have some leather "patches" put on them. I've worn it ALOT for the last 10+ years. They make other wool coats as well.

They aren't a real Peacoat but they are close if you order the Charcoal color.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  17. burnso

burnso Well-Known Member

Thank you, an interesting option Im definitely considering

18. Peacoat

If you are willing to go the current issue route, the Mil Spec from Sterlingwear might be a viable option. They are a little more fitted than the civilian offerings and are a little more expensive, as well. You will need to call and talk to a representative as that coat is a special order. The rep can give you guidance on the sleeve length, and may be able to give a p2p measurement as well.

A size 38 in that model should have a p2p of about 20.5", while a size 40 should be about 21.5".

For an example on the proper sleeve length, I wear a 34 to 35 in a dress shirt sleeve length, and my peacoats fit well with a 25" sleeve length measured along the outside curve of the elbow. So if your dress shirt sleeve size is 36, you would want a peacoat sleeve length of about 26" to 27"

The good thing about buying from Sterlingwear, if you guess wrong about the size, you can return the coat and only be out the cost of shipping.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  19. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

Sterlingwear also has a bespoke service. For more money, of course! Just ask about it.

20. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I've got the tree stand. It's made in Michigan and weighs 16 pounds! Now, to find that perfect 10 foot tree. Today is perfect peacoat weather.

Wearing a vintage US Navy coat.