• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

May depend on where you live and if you need to wear a sweater under the peacoat. During my time in NYC, I found that I needed a sweater just about every day during the cold months, and certainly every night. My recollection is that a typical daytime high would be in the 20s to 30s, and the night time lows typically in the teens to low 20s. For me, I needed a sweater with those temps.
If you plan to frequently wear a sweater under the coat, I think the 38 would be the best bet. That is assuming a true 39" chest.
The Authentic is sized the same as the issue coats, but I'm not sure about the other models. If you could get a p2p on them, and then read the section on sizing at the end of my article at the link in my signature line below, you would have a good idea of the sizing of the other models.

You are, IMHO, a motherfucking champ.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Anyone have a peacoat they can sell? 32-34" chest.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of how the Sterlingwear Authentic looks with the collar all the way up? Not just popped. By being a convertible collar, does that mean that the neck buttons up to resemble something like a turtleneck?

Last edited:

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does Sterlingwear make the "Spec" in any other color besides Navy?:eh:

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have pictures of how the Sterlingwear Authentic looks with the collar all the way up? Not just popped. By being a convertible collar, does that mean that the neck buttons up to resemble something like a turtleneck?

22200_r_p_6.jpg

Are you talking about pepole doing that?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WWII peacoat I posted a few pages back isn't' working out as it's abit too big on me. If anyone is interested in an excellent condition WWII peacoat in 40R, shoot me a pm.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Wait, do they not offer their entire range of coats online? As far as I know the Authenic is Mil-spec. Is that what you are referring to?

22200_r_p_6.jpg

Are you talking about pepole doing that?

Yes. That is what I mean. I'm not sure if the little clasp is necessary, but the neck should resemble that formation.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, do they not offer their entire range of coats online? As far as I know the Authenic is Mil-spec. Is that what you are referring to?
Yes. That is what I mean. I'm not sure if the little clasp is necessary, but the neck should resemble that formation.

they don't have their "Spec" on their website for reasons I don't know of

the "Spec" is supposed to be the one most similar to the coats they make for sailors, Sterlingwear = trolls

Peacoat

Reaction score

Sterlingwear doesn't make any of its coats in Navy, as far as I know. I believe they are all made from the black melton wool. Their coats pre 1980 were all a dark midnight blue, but that ceased over 30 years ago. Civilian "peacoats" aren't my specialty, so I could be wrong.

Peacoat

Reaction score

WWII peacoat I posted a few pages back isn't' working out as it's abit too big on me. If anyone is interested in an excellent condition WWII peacoat in 40R, shoot me a pm.

Too bad it is too big as that is fine peacoat. Also rare and hard to find in good shape.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

they don't have their "Spec" on their website for reasons I don't know of
the "Spec" is supposed to be the one most similar to the coats they make for sailors, Sterlingwear = trolls

Huh, so is the spec the same cut as the authentic but with heavier wool? Say 32 oz?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huh, so is the spec the same cut as the authentic but with heavier wool? Say 32 oz?
I know its confusing as hell. I can barely make sense of the post below about the "Spec".

'Hate to do this -- well not really -- but the plot thickens: I spoke to Michele the point gal at Sterlingwear of Boston wanting to get clarity on their peacoats and it turns out that in addition to the four pea variants they offer, there is yet another, a fifth, called the "Spec". The Spec is no way a copy of the government-issue jacket, but is the genuine article made to the exact specifications of the current US Navy issue. Michele said it is available only through the factory and is, of course, more expensive. It differs from their closest variant, the Authentic, in that it is made with a more closely woven, 100% wool material (more wind resistant) dyed a deep navy -- almost black -- and is put together with heavier stitching. There may be other details, can't remember. I'm ordering one in 42 long. I normally wear a 40 long, but Michele's recommending you go up a size or two. I'm only going up one size as I'd like a more fitted look. Price is $250. If this coat gets close to the WWII-era peacoat I had when I was a kid in the Eighties, I'll be very happy. Those babies were in a class of their own.

Last edited:

bwhli

Reaction score
How's the fit on this coat? Do the shoulders look a tad too wide? I was thinking of taking the shoulders in a little at the shoulder seam, so the sleeves would be brought up a bit as well because the sleeves are about half an inch too long. Would this be possible on a coat like this?

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

I know its confusing as hell. I can barely make sense of the post below about the "Spec".

Huh. I'm interested in pics and a review if there is one around. I think I'll message that poster a bit later. Got to hang with the girlfriend.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics