1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Ben Dimond

Ben Dimond Member

Just bought a J.Crew Bayswater Peacoat in XS. My chest is just shy of 37" so went with the XS as it's p2p is 20''. It feels nice, but seems short in the arms and length. I'm 5'9'' and 150lbs. Could a tailor add enough length? Just noticed they had a tall option which adds body length of 11⁄2" longer and sleeve length of 11⁄4" longer, would this be a better option? How much arm movement in a proper fitting pea coat, for example lifting your arms perpendicular to your body and touching your elbows together? Appreciate any advice, thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

Hey all,

This is not my first European winter but I've somehow made it through before without any good cold weather clothes and my favorite leather jackets (treated to resist rain/snow). Jos A. Banks has been having a bunch of sales recently so I bought this one:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_392091?orderId=23632689

I just perused this thread briefly for a few minutes today and since there are 4700+ posts I haven't read through it all so I was wondering if anyone had a peacoat from J A B and what you thought of the fit and quality.

Thanks!

~Gentleman Johnny

3. MSTRKRFT

MSTRKRFT Well-Known Member

Will give some fast primary impressions on the J. Crew Bayswater pea coat that just came in. I can't give any day to day use reactions yet, but perhaps I will update on that in the future:

• Navy = dark midnight blue. Almost black indoors, but I guess the blue hues becomes more self-evident in the daylight outdoors.
    • Weight = Not too cumbersome or bulky, which is a huge plus, while still having the weight of the wool. Speaking of wool, I am glad this is 100%, unlike a lot of the commercial brands that sell wool-poly blends. It is also not a scratchy type of wool, but has a smoother hand.
    • Thinsulate = After putting it on, I definitely felt the warmth, so fortunate I made the choice on getting this lining. Seems like I can get away with wearing a shirt under this on the chilly days.
    • Fit = I ordered the XS. Room to do daily activities and maneuver without feeling constricted. Around a 39.5" chest and a 31" inch waist, so anyone with similar dimensions shouldn't have any difficulty with the XS. The strong shoulders are a plus too, it gives a confident appearance (really dislike slouched shoulders). The cut is not boxy, and you can definitely see the hourglass shape when you stick your arms out.
    • Side notes: The metal collar closure is a nice touch and sets it apart from the thousands of pea coats you see everyday on the streets. Also under the collar there is a neck piece you can put on.
    • Cons: There is no vent. I would have preferred to have one, but it is what it is. Although a lot of times I see people's vents sticking out in the back like a tail, which doesn't look too flattering. I also the wish the collar would be a bit more "sturdy".

Overall first impressions were positive, and I can't complain about much. It was a $100 well spent and should last many winters ahead.

PS: Since it came in the mail, there are a few creases/wrinkles on the pea coat. Has anyone ironed their coat or recommend any solutions?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Robert

Robert Senior member

Glad you like it. Pretty much my impressions as well. I don't really miss/notice the vent concern, though. Of the peacoats I have tried, it is the most fitted, i.e., with the hourglass shape, not boxy.

As for the wrinkles, they should fall out with wear. And hang it up in the bathroom when you shower.

5. cfrp

cfrp Well-Known Member

I was actually a little bit skeptical because I couldn't find much info on the Naval Uniform Shop. It didn't seem like any of their other coats were made there. The tag also looks strangely new or good condition) It shipped out yesterday so when it arrives I'll send you a few photos of it. I'd be interested to know more about it. Hopefully it fits snug.. Sucks that I can't find anything vintage smaller than 34. BTW I'm trying to find the post you made about how to care for these coats and I can't seem to find it. What page is it on?

6. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

Ah, okay then I think I'll probably just stay away on those. Some of the measurements seem like they shouldn't be, which is why I was asking.

And yeah I was thinking the same thing about the buttons, and will give that a try then. Thanks

7. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

I just purchased the navy J. Crew Bayswater pea coat in medium (41" chest, 35" waist) and agree with MSTRKRFT. I do share his concern about the collar, as I tend to pop mine in the high wind, but the price, fit, and quality were too good to pass on for such a minor concern. Now to find the ideal hat/glove/scarf combo.

8. GentlemanJohnny

Interesting coincidence...I posted earlier about a peacoat from Jos. A. Bank and it happened to arrive at the post office today....

I'm interested to hear your thoughts...never worn a peacoat before and was wondering if you guys think the proportions are right. I think it fits pretty well. The only issue was that the sleeves were too long. Luckily, they have a little decorative band that goes around the wrist so I just folded the fabric in and you can't tell...there isn't even any bulging.

What do you guys think (sorry for the crappy lighting):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

Looks quite boxy to me, and the shoulder fit is especially bad.

How much did you pay? Most of their peacoats aren't even 100% wool, IIRC.

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

That would be my only gripe about the J, Crew. I wish the collar were a little sturdier. It's not bad, but sometimes I mess with it to get it to stay up. My collar is always popped whenever I'm wearing it.

11. destiny7

destiny7 Well-Known Member

after 2 hours of continuous reading of this forum I have much better understand off pea coats.
    I need advise on sizes. I have decided to either go ahead with Schott NYC peat or Sterlingwear but before I place an order since I would like to know if Iam making a right decision since shipping and customer fees could be hasty since I am living in Canada.

My Height is 5'11
    Chest Size; 37"
    Sleeve is : 35"

I looking for slimmer fit pea oat

thanks

12. cfrp

cfrp Well-Known Member

Where in Canada are you? You might be able to try on some sterling or fidelity locally to see.

13. MSTRKRFT

Take my critique with a grain of salt. I am a pea coat newbie (just got my first one), and there are a lot more enthusiasts and experienced users here who would be able to provide you a more appropriate analysis on it. I will just tell you what I would I have liked if it was my coat. 1. One of the first things that popped out to me right away was the shoulders. It is too big and that indent is a bit noticeable/glaring. It doesn't give it the streamlined appearance. 2. For me, the length would be a bit too long for a pea-coat and approaches the length of a topcoat. Think it would have looked better if it was more cropped. 3. From far away, it almost looked like the sleeves were folded over, but it is in fact those "arm epaulets" (not sure of the correct term) - not sure why they made it so close to the end of the sleeve, since usually they are higher up. It is a nice detail, but wish it was implemented better. Would you mind telling us some details on the pea coat such as composition and where it was made? Also, how is fit in your opinion? Lot of room inside or just right? Seems like a more boxy fit, than than a more contemporary/modern fit. I have no exeprience with any Jos A Bank products in regards to fit, etc. As always, you will be the one wearing it so what makes you happy, go for it mate!

14. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

I'm in toronto. anyone know where i can try on some schott, fidelity, or sterling for sizing? i think i'd be a 38 in most. i wear a 36 barbour bedale for reference...tough to tell without trying some on.

thanks

15. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

well first you should measure your chest. there are a few p2p measurements for some schott and sterlingwear peacoats posted over the past several pages.

16. GentlemanJohnny

Thanks, I appreciate the frank comments....I've only worn it around the house and haven't taken it outside in case I end up returning it...I'm considering a custom jacket from makeyourownjeans.com (I know some people have had bad experiences with them but my jeans were perfect so I may try a custom jacket)

Before I make a move....is it possible to tailor material like this? I routinely get shirts and pants adjusted and know a good tailor for my leather jackets...but can a normal tailor work with thick wool (or wool blends)? I think I can live with the shoulders but maybe I can get the sleeves shortened (instead of tucking the excess) and maybe have the waist taken in a little? Anyone try this?

17. cfrp

cfrp Well-Known Member

Go a few pages back. There is an army surplus place by kensington market that carries Fidelity (a few sizes) and Sterlingwear (sold out)

18. MSTRKRFT

Yea, I am waiting on other people to chime in on their opinions, so that you can get a better idea. In regards to getting pea coats adjusted, yes it is possible. I haven't personally done it, but I think in my quick skim of a few pages on this thread some other people have and it has turned out well. Since you already know a tailor and have had good experiences, your best bet would be to take it to him and ask him what he can do your you. Hope things work out for you and you end up with a great winter coat whatever you decide on.

19. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I received the charcoal Bayswater today. Like you mentioned, there are pluses and minuses, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't fit as well as I would like. I'm 6ft, 41.5" chest and 31" waist. I ordered a size Small. There's still just too much excess bulk in the waist for my taste. The coat's smaller, but it's just a smaller box. There's really no shape in the torso of the coat. The waist is practically the same size as the chest. I understand that my build isn't the most common, but I was hoping for a slightly better shape. Not to mention, the sleeves are about a half inch to an inch shorter than I'm comfortable with. On a positive note, the length is fine.

I don't like the hassle of having to return items, but I'll have to take this one into the store for a refund. In the end, I guess that you get what you pay for. I'll keep looking for an RTW coat that's got a decent silhouette, but I'll probably pony up a few more bucks for another mtm.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  20. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

i would imagine having the jacket body taken in at all would be a good amount of work (=expensive). i might be completely wrong about this but that's just my thought. shortening sleeves shouldnt be an issue though