Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ellismc

ellismc New Member

Be careful with sizing on the Schott peacoat. I sized down from my normal 40 to 38 and it actually feels more like I sized up compared to my other clothes. The picture on the Schott site is pretty accurate for how it would look at your normal size, I think.

ataru, can you share your thoughts on the coat, other than size? What especially stands out to you? Anything you really like or dislike about it? Also, I'm thinking about the navy, as it seems the Schott navy is almost black anyway. Thanks in advance.

2. ataru

ataru Senior member

The wool is very much on the coarse side. I have it in navy and the navy is indeed almost black. It has one more row of buttons than many peacoats like the sterlingwears and jcrews in this thread. The schott peacoat doesn't really have a fashionable appearance in my opinion- it's more of a rugged, military vibe. It's a bit longer than many peacoats and it has some waist supression. You may find this page useful. http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/ja...at-size-y.html The schott peacoat for sale in the U.S. is the 740, which is the leftmost column.

3. ahjota

ahjota Senior member

Buying the Schott 740C for my cousin, and got a sizing question. Gail over at Schott NYC keeps telling me to size up two from chest size, i.e. chest 38", size 42 peacoat.

Anyone have actual experience or commentary on this advice?

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Buying the Schott 740C for my cousin, and got a sizing question. Gail over at Schott NYC keeps telling me to size up two from chest size, i.e. chest 38", size 42 peacoat.

Anyone have actual experience or commentary on this advice?

Ask Gail to give you the measurement across the chest from just under one armpit to just under the other armpit. She will need to lay the coat face up and on a flat surface. Pull the fabric tight and then let it relax. Take the measurement.

If his actual chest measurement is 38", then he will want a peacoat that measures 20+" across the chest from pit to pit. The + will be a fraction of an inch such as 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4. This should give enough room under the peacoat for a sweater or a vest.

Do measure the chest with just a tight Tshirt on. Don't depend on normal suit size to get a well fitted peacoat.

5. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

Any thoughts on this one (thinking about the navy version)? Is this pocket formation common to any others? I haven't seen it much, if ever.

[​IMG]

ridiculous fit pic:
    [​IMG]

6. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

It's loosely based on the WWI peacoat, given the lower flap pockets and the high hand warmer pockets, but the buttons are six (showing) instead of eight (showing). Plus the collar and the lapels are different--more like a sport coat than a peacoat.

7. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

^Thanks man. You know your peacoats. Here's what I found in a quick search.

WW1:
    [​IMG]

1920's:
    [​IMG]

8. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

The top one is fairly close to the WWI peacoat, except for the protruding throat latch, the straps on the sleeve at the cuff are added and the handwarmer pockets are more angled than the issue WWI peacoat. The issue WWI coat has nearly vertical handwarmers. Note that the buttons are period correct, from what I can tell from the picture.

The bottom one, not so close.

9. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Here are a couple of photos of WWI era peacoats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The period before WWII is pretty much the Dark Ages for me (and any other researcher) in dating/cataloging peacoats. The style could have changed a time or two between the early 1900s and 1941, but I tend to think they stayed pretty much the same during the approximately 23 years between WWI and WWII. I have good documentation of the WWII peacoats, and have made headway in cataloging the WWI era. But there are big gaps in my knowledge for that period. It was, after all, about 90 years ago. The above pictures are the only ones I have for that era.

10. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

Is the Raph Lauren Academy Peacoat thick? Also, the sizing is the same as their sweaters? (If I use small in sweaters, Small Peacoat will fit me?

11. Vecna

Vecna Senior member

I have a 42 chest and the large is listed at 42-44 chest. The large fit me perfectly while wearing a dress shirt + undershirt and i could fit a thin sweater, though a thick sweater might be bordering on too snug. The material feels nice and thick to the touch, though not too thick.

I called ralph lauren and they said they won't have the academy peacoat in my size until fall of 2011.

JCrew doesn't have any peacoats in my size, either. I feel as though I may have missed the boat on this one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Peacoat in Large Tall that might be in stock? (looking <$500)

Do you need to size down for the Sterlingwear Authentic?

12. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Vecna: You could ask someone at Sterlingwear to give you the measurement across the chest from just under one armpit to just under the other armpit. They will need to lay the coat face up and on a flat surface. Pull the fabric tight and then let it relax. Take the measurement.

If your actual chest measurement is 42" or 43", then you will want a peacoat that measures 22+" across the chest from pit to pit. The + will be a fraction of an inch such as 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4. This should give enough room under the peacoat for a sweater or a vest. If your chest measurement is 41" then you will want a peacoat that measures 21+ across the chest.

By using the above measurements, you don't have to depend on a manufacturer's stated chest size; you can figure it out yourself.

Do measure the chest with just a tight Tshirt on. Don't depend on normal suit size to get a well fitted peacoat.

13. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

Anyone having difficulty with exchanging peacoats from Sterlingwear? It's been over a month since they said my coat was reshipped. No response from email and they just put me on hold whenever I call.

What they sent you a coat a month ago and you havent recieved it yet is it what you are saying?
    Im having problems with vintage trends. I sent a coat that was too large back to them on the 23 nov and they said they havent recieved it yet. Thats 25 days!!!!!

I think someone stole my coat in transit to them. They knew it was a vintage coat inside the package took it, as i didnt send by recorded or registered delivery.
    Ruined my winter this has.

14. unmodern

unmodern Well-Known Member

Anyone having difficulty with exchanging peacoats from Sterlingwear? It's been over a month since they said my coat was reshipped. No response from email and they just put me on hold whenever I call.

Yes, they called to say they would ship on Wednesday, here it is Saturday and no coat. It's obvious that they're super busy. I'm trying to cut them slack considering I'm the one that made the sizing mistake, but I would like to get the coat here at school before I head home for the holidays...

The fact that they don't provide a tracking number on exchanges makes it all the more frustrating.

If your actual chest measurement is 42" or 43", then you will want a peacoat that measures 22+" across the chest from pit to pit.

I think this is terrible advice. 1-2" of extra fabric around the chest is utterly unreasonable for a shirt, let alone outerwear. I would say 2.5" as an absolute minimum, if you're only wearing it over a jersey Tee; and up to 5" for layering. There's a reason coats and jackets are cut large in the chest. I know that a 36R duffle, for instance, will typically run to 42" in the chest.

15. unmodern

unmodern Well-Known Member

Looking at these pictures, I'm reminded that I have an unusually short torso and arms for my height (5'9"). I have an early-1950s U.S. Navy peacoat that fits well enough, but it's a 38R and I'm a 37S, so it goes over an inch past both my wrists and my crotch. I've never seen a "short" length from this time period, and a similar-vintage 36R had the same problems with the added issue of being too tight in the waist.

How do other people deal with these things?

I think this is less of a problem with coats than with sportscoats, which may be why p-coats didn't used to come in 'short.' P-coats can be a bit longer than sportscoats in the body, and still look right. Just get the arms taken up. Inch past the crotch sounds about right, actually---the dude in the pic is just sagging his jeans.