• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried it on with a flannel and tshirt and it was a bit tight but nothing to be worried about. I could fit a sweater underneath if I wanted, although I don't even own any atm

lwkeung

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
I tried it on with a flannel and tshirt and it was a bit tight but nothing to be worried about. I could fit a sweater underneath if I wanted, although I don't even own any atm

You could always have taken a Jcrew sweater and tried the peacoat with it on.
They shouldn't mind haha.

Mariooo

Reaction score
ok, here are the pics... btw - my first ones on SF ....
blush.gif

Sterlingwear Authentic 38R

someone wanted to know the p2p measurement, approx. ~ 21"

Last edited:

Epik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thelastpolarbear
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/me...l-pea-coat.htm

Any opinions on this? I really like the way the lines of the coat 'flow' if that makes any sense. Im not really a fan of the Sterlingwear pea coats. It'd be great if any of you guys who have this can chime in, as Ive done a search and nothing has come up.

I've been eye'ing that Schott 740c as well. Here are some images as Schott's own images are quite lacking.

7081_3.jpg

7081_0.jpg

Source - Rakuten: http://en.item.rakuten.com/ripe/sch_7081/

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
HAHA so here I go again back to the J.Crew coat. I received the Sterlingwear peacoat in the mail yesterday, but aside from this one being too large it's just a little blocky for my liking. The shoulders are so square and it's just straight down on the sides. The sleeves are also too large/long on me, should've went with a short and maybe another size down.

I could probably get it tailored if I exchanged this for a smaller size, but the J.Crew coat fit me like a glove and so I think I'm just going to go to the store tomorrow and purchase that one and then just return this Sterlingwear for a refund.

The 30% off on the J.Crew puts it in my price range - only $40 more than I paid for the Sterlingwear, which I would have had to pay to get altered anyways (plus any shipping charges if I would have again had to send in for another exchange). So it just makes sense to get the J.Crew and return this one. Here are some crappy iPhotos:

Sterlingwear 38R:

nfmcdj.jpg

J.Crew Small:

8vosb7.jpg

I think it's quite obvious which one looks better, even if I got the Sterlingwear tailored.

I think the top pic looks better, it must be the lapels. Im assuming thats the sterlingwear and if it was the right size, well that would have been a bonus. Bigger looking buttons as well it seems, which screams sailors coat to me and a bit more rustic and earthy looking. Is it authentic or navigator style?

Too prim and proper the bottom one..

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mariooo
ok, here are the pics... btw - my first ones on SF ....
blush.gif
Sterlingwear Authentic 38R
mg6326crresize.jpg
mg6325crresize.jpg
mg6324crresize.jpg
someone wanted to know the p2p measurement, approx. ~ 21"

I think that looks pretty damn good. Thanks for posting pics.
Originally Posted by Epik
I've been eye'ing that Schott 740c as well. Here are some images as Schott's own images are quite lacking.
7081_3.jpg
7081_0.jpg
Source - Rakuten: http://en.item.rakuten.com/ripe/sch_7081/

That looks awful. What's with the giant seam on the outside?

bry172

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and im lookin for your opinion on what size peacoat i should get.

I'm
5'4-5"
130lbs
35 chest
28 waist
athletic build
looking for slim fit

xsmall or small??

Leaning towards j.crew but open to suggestions as long as i can get it up to canada.

Thanks!

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought the J.Crew today, on sale for $200 in store. Returning the Sterlingwear on Monday. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase, this thing fits like a glove and it is warm! I could fit an undershirt, a button up and a scarf underneath; it's a bit snug but nothing to be worried about.

unmodern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bry172
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and im lookin for your opinion on what size peacoat i should get.

I'm
5'4-5"
130lbs
35 chest
28 waist
athletic build
looking for slim fit

xsmall or small??

Leaning towards j.crew but open to suggestions as long as i can get it up to canada.

Thanks!

Unless you have unusually long arms the XS will fit better there. Probably the chest and shoulders will be the one problem with going XS, and if you don't mind a little extra length in the body you could buy the Small and have the arms taken up. This is the problem with S-M-L sizing. You really need a 34S or 36S.

wsblend

Reaction score
I just chose the J Crew Peacoat- Tall with Thinsulate lining- over the Sterlingwear Navigator or Mariner. I paid $205 with the 30% discount, whereas it was regular-priced at $295. Not a killer deal, but I don't foresee them offering a better discount until after the season. So why the J Crew over the Sterlingwear???
  1. I could try on the medium-regular in a local brick & mortar, then order the medium-Tall.
  2. Free shipping
  3. No return shipping charge- returnable to any nearby brick & mortar
  4. More tailored, less bulky fit- I'm sick of huge outerwear.
Yes, that's right. Free to-doorstep shipping and return shipping were big factors. Would've been about $13 to get my hands on the Sterlingwear and probably another $13 to get it back to them if it didn't work out. That's would've been $26 for a trial & error exercise. If only Sterlingwear had a store or sold through a retailer anywhere in the SF Bay Area, I would've tried on at least one size. Then they could've competed with J Crew and others. But, no.

bry172

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unmodern
Unless you have unusually long arms the XS will fit better there. Probably the chest and shoulders will be the one problem with going XS, and if you don't mind a little extra length in the body you could buy the Small and have the arms taken up. This is the problem with S-M-L sizing. You really need a 34S or 36S.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunatly, im in canada and sterlingwear does not seem to ship/sell to canada in my knowledge. From looking at this thread J.Crew and Sterlingwear are the most popular.

XS seems to be the best size at this point.

Mariooo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bry172
Thanks for the response. Unfortunatly, im in canada and sterlingwear does not seem to ship/sell to canada in my knowledge. From looking at this thread J.Crew and Sterlingwear are the most popular.
you sure? I'm from Europe, asked them a few months ago if they ship internationally and about the shipping costs. Back then, their friendly costumerservice lady explained to me that when the time comes, I should place the order through mailing/calling her, so they're able to provide a cheaper shipping option.. Sterlingwear thereupon added this option (USPS) a bit later in their online store checkout, to make international orders easier...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics