MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Preparatory

Preparatory Senior member

Small. 165 pounds? Come one son!

What? I like it slim fit and I know that J.Crew runs a little large in size

2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

What? I like it slim fit and I know that J.Crew runs a little large in size

You would be better off with a medium if you enjoy moving your arms. The coat is pretty well fitted.

3. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Senior member

Small for sure... The medium will be too big in the shoulders and sides...Trade off for moving arms though...

Up to you though, the ideal pea coat may cost a little more.

4. Preparatory

Preparatory Senior member

Small for sure... The medium will be too big in the shoulders and sides...Trade off for moving arms though...

Up to you though, the ideal pea coat may cost a little more.

Well I do train so my arms are a little bigger (not bragging), but my experience with other j.crew stuff has been that it runs quite large. In Sweden what we call "Slim fit" does (unfortunately) not exist in the US.

5. unmodern

unmodern Well-Known Member

Why The Navigator Is Way Better Than The Authentic : A Short Treatise

I have had occasion to try on both, and honestly, the Navigator is worth every cent of the extra $10 it costs. Because:

(1) It has a full satin lining. This is more comfortable, and does not pill, unlike the poly fleece in the Authentic. Do you want a peacoat that will truly last forever, or what??

(2) It comes in 100% wool. I found the 100% wool thicker and warmer, plus the collar is way nicer to pop. The Authentic's collar seemed anemic compared with the Navigator's.

(3) It is warmer. I don't know whether it was the 100% wool, the satin lining, or both, but the Navigator wore significantly warmer than the Authentic. I know this goes against what most on SF say, but this was my experience.

(4) Again, this is only one man's experience, but I found the Navigator's cut much more true-to-size. I know they're supposedly cut to the same measure but my Authentic was a full 2" bigger in the chest & waist! Maybe they were from different production lines---but they were both new this year... The Navigator's chest measured 3" bigger than stated size, which for me at least is a sweet spot of versatile and trim fit.

(5) The 100% wool attracts way less debris and dirt and hair than the wool/nylon mix. Again, counter intuitive, but true.

6. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

The Navigator's chest measured 3" bigger than stated size, which for me at least is a sweet spot of versatile and trim fit.

I understood the rest of your post, but I don't understand the above quote. Why does a coat that is 3" larger than the tagged size give a trim fit? Especially when the Authentic, to which you are comparing it, is 2" larger than the stated size? Why wouldn't the Authentic be the trimmer fit?

And how are you measuring the coat to determine it is 3" ". . . bigger" than stated size?

I'm not attacking your conclusions, but trying to determine how you arrived at them.

7. Jerseydevil1921

Jerseydevil1921 New Member

Anybody own a J.Crew peacoat coat with thinsulate? I'm looking to buy a peacoat that will keep me warm during the blistering cold winter of the northeast and was wondering if thinsulate will do the trick. I ask cause I really hate the look of bubble jackets.
    Mine arrived about two weeks ago. I got in a size XL in navy. I put it on and everybody in my family commented on the nice cut and that overall, the jacket looked fantastic. I got it with the Thinsulate liner. The sleeves have to be tailored to a shorter length but otherwise I am thoroughly pleased. I used a 25% off (maybe 30%?). My two cents. I hope this helps.

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

HAHA so here I go again back to the J.Crew coat. I received the Sterlingwear peacoat in the mail yesterday, but aside from this one being too large it's just a little blocky for my liking. The shoulders are so square and it's just straight down on the sides. The sleeves are also too large/long on me, should've went with a short and maybe another size down. I could probably get it tailored if I exchanged this for a smaller size, but the J.Crew coat fit me like a glove and so I think I'm just going to go to the store tomorrow and purchase that one and then just return this Sterlingwear for a refund. The 30% off on the J.Crew puts it in my price range - only $40 more than I paid for the Sterlingwear, which I would have had to pay to get altered anyways (plus any shipping charges if I would have again had to send in for another exchange). So it just makes sense to get the J.Crew and return this one. Here are some crappy iPhotos: Sterlingwear 38R: [​IMG] J.Crew Small: [​IMG] I think it's quite obvious which one looks better, even if I got the Sterlingwear tailored.

9. unmodern

I understood the rest of your post, but I don't understand the above quote. Why does a coat that is 3" larger than the tagged size give a trim fit? Especially when the Authentic, to which you are comparing it, is 2" larger than the stated size? Why wouldn't the Authentic be the trimmer fit? And how are you measuring the coat to determine it is 3" ". . . bigger" than stated size? I'm not attacking your conclusions, but trying to determine how you arrived at them.
    Sorry I was unclear. I meant larger than the chest size that the size indicates. This would be 39" for a 36" coat. When I said the Authentic was 2" bigger I meant 2" bigger than the Navigator---that particular Authentic was 5" bigger than the indicated body chest size! In other words, the 36R was more like a 38R. No wonder we are told to size down. I don't size down in the Navigator but I would if I were to buy the Authentic.

10. unmodern

HAHA so here I go again back to the J.Crew coat. I received the Sterlingwear peacoat in the mail yesterday, but aside from this one being too large it's just a little blocky for my liking. The shoulders are so square and it's just straight down on the sides. The sleeves are also too large/long on me, should've went with a short and maybe another size down. I could probably get it tailored if I exchanged this for a smaller size, but the J.Crew coat fit me like a glove and so I think I'm just going to go to the store tomorrow and purchase that one and then just return this Sterlingwear for a refund. The 30% off on the J.Crew puts it in my price range - only $40 more than I paid for the Sterlingwear, which I would have had to pay to get altered anyways (plus any shipping charges if I would have again had to send in for another exchange). So it just makes sense to get the J.Crew and return this one. Here are some crappy iPhotos: Sterlingwear 38R: [​IMG] J.Crew Small: [​IMG] I think it's quite obvious which one looks better, even if I got the Sterlingwear tailored.
    Buy what you want, but it just looks like you didn't order close to the right size in Sterlingwear. Looks like you should size down a chest size and get the short. Peacoats are supposed to be boxy. Peacoats are supposed to have squarish shoulders. The J.Crew coat looks nice---but I don't think it's fair to compare a well-fitting coat to a coat in the wrong size. I just can't see paying more for an item that is imported when the very company that makes the Navy's peacoats is selling theirs at a reasonable price and it's made in the USA. At the very least try Schott first. I know I'll get flamed for this, but---J.Crew is good for some things (khakis, cords, some made in USA belts from time to time), but outerwear, especially wool outerwear, just isn't one of those things. As far as I can tell, even on sale, it's just not good value on the dollar compared with companies making either better quality stuff, or not charging boutique prices. On the other hand, if money is no object and there is something about the J.Crew coat that you like, buy it by all means. I'm just talking value because that's the most important thing to me when I make a purchase, especially a large purchase like this.

11. Khayembii Communique

I don't really like the feel of the Sterlingwear either and it feels like it wouldn't be as warm. And I was referring to the overall shape of the coat, not taking the improper sizing into account. It just doesn't feel right on me.

The J.Crew fits perfect IMO, and feels like it would be warmer. I know it's imported but I can't see any reason that would automatically make it worse than others made in the USA. Not everything imported is worse, as you have said.

But if anyone that has owned a J.Crew peacoat could comment on its durability that would be awesome.

12. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

HAHA so here I go again back to the J.Crew coat. I received the Sterlingwear peacoat in the mail yesterday, but aside from this one being too large it's just a little blocky for my liking. The shoulders are so square and it's just straight down on the sides. The sleeves are also too large/long on me, should've went with a short and maybe another size down.

I could probably get it tailored if I exchanged this for a smaller size, but the J.Crew coat fit me like a glove and so I think I'm just going to go to the store tomorrow and purchase that one and then just return this Sterlingwear for a refund.

The 30% off on the J.Crew puts it in my price range - only $40 more than I paid for the Sterlingwear, which I would have had to pay to get altered anyways (plus any shipping charges if I would have again had to send in for another exchange). So it just makes sense to get the J.Crew and return this one. Here are some crappy iPhotos:

Sterlingwear 38R:

[​IMG]

J.Crew Small:

[​IMG]

I think it's quite obvious which one looks better, even if I got the Sterlingwear tailored.

Hey how tall are you? Do you have long arms?[​IMG]

13. Khayembii Communique

I'm 5'8". I don't believe I have longer than average arms, why?

BTW my arm inseam length is in a previous post a few pages back.

14. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Jlay87: you are comparing apples and oranges. Although I am no Sterlingwear defender, it is a size or two too big for you. The J.Crew is closer to the right size and is a better fit.

One thing I noticed is the right lapel on the J.Crew is unruly and will likely remain so, sorta like the WWII peacoats. You won't be able to see the lapel, unless you look in a mirror, so it probably isn't much for you to worry about.

15. lwkeung

lwkeung Senior member

Jlay87
    The Jcrew does look really good on you. But what if you decide to wear more underneath? All you have is a button up. Would it be too tight if you decide to wear a sweater and layer?
    Also, how does it feel to lift your arms up?