MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bombers

bombers Senior member

1970 Pembroke 38R came in today. So thick and heavy. For ~$68 I'm not gonna complain. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Looks like a good fit. As I remember your chest size is a 38? So you will have room underneath for a sweater--most important when the temps get in the 20s and below.

3. reezy

reezy Senior member

what is this one?
    looks like this
    [​IMG]

The Balenciaga bag suits Paul Bettany well. [​IMG]

4. bombers

bombers Senior member

Looks like a good fit. As I remember your chest size is a 38? So you will have room underneath for a sweater--most important when the temps get in the 20s and below.

39" chest actually, but beneath I have on a t-shirt, long sleeve thermal, and that flannel on and I still have full movement while it sits slim on the torso.

5. Evolutionary

Evolutionary New Member

Anybody own a J.Crew peacoat coat with thinsulate? I'm looking to buy a peacoat that will keep me warm during the blistering cold winter of the northeast and was wondering if thinsulate will do the trick. I ask cause I really hate the look of bubble jackets.

6. infinittii

infinittii Member

7. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

peacoat with upturned collar, cuffed selvedge and indy boots.
    is Paul Bettany an SW&D lurker here on SF?

The Balenciaga bag suits Paul Bettany well. [​IMG]

what is this one?
    looks like this
    [​IMG]

8. wsblend

wsblend Well-Known Member

Right now, J Crew has a 30% coupon which would bring the J Crew Thinsulate Peacoat or University Coat within $200 incl shipping.

Can the University Coat be waist-suppressed if it has a Thinsulate lining?

How much "better" is the Sterlingwear Mariner or Navigator Peacoats than the JCrew Thinsulate models? Which would be warmer?

9. iroh

iroh Senior member

How warm are peacoats suppose to be? Yesterday night was about 1 degree celcius (or 34 degrees F) and it was a bit chilly wearing my peacoat. I had on an undershirt and a long sleeve T-shirt with my peacoat. I am confused because some people here say their peacoats keep them warm. I was under the impression I could wear a t shirt (I don't like to layer clothes) and still be warm when it gets sub zero [maybe -10C] which would be great.

10. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

it's about -5F here and my peacoat feels warm... how thick is the wool on yours? some that i have seen are kind of thin... mine is some old shitty sterlingwear type thing, I really need a new one...

11. otc

otc Senior member

How warm are peacoats suppose to be? Yesterday night was about 1 degree celcius (or 34 degrees F) and it was a bit chilly wearing my peacoat. I had on an undershirt and a long sleeve T-shirt with my peacoat. I am confused because some people here say their peacoats keep them warm. I was under the impression I could wear a t shirt (I don't like to layer clothes) and still be warm when it gets sub zero [maybe -10C] which would be great.

Layers are your friend mate.

People who say it keeps them warm are probably comitted to a little bit of layering (it is winter you know)

12. bombers

bombers Senior member

The room between your t-shirt and peacoat circulates cold air. That is why people layer to keep the warmth in.

13. mrpress

mrpress Active Member

Anybody own a J.Crew peacoat coat with thinsulate? I'm looking to buy a peacoat that will keep me warm during the blistering cold winter of the northeast and was wondering if thinsulate will do the trick. I ask cause I really hate the look of bubble jackets.

Mine has thinsulate. It has been in the single digits farenheit with strong winds here and I've stayed plenty warm with a sweater underneath. I think you will be fine with the collar popped and a scarf.

14. iroh

iroh Senior member

I find if I put the collar up like this and button it closed around my neck, the wind won't get in and the coat will be warmer, but is the peacoat suppose to be worn like this? it looks strange (look, there is another guy behind the first) [​IMG]

15. Bond111

Bond111 Senior member

^^ Personally I think it looks great worn like that as well as with the collar down. The reason why it has such a big collar was b/c when it was cold, the guys in the service would wear it that way to keep their neck warm. Win Win either way IMO.