MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. xzymandias

xzymandias New Member

Does anyone have pictures to compare the J Crew authentic pea coats in Tall and Regular? The closest J Crew to me only has the tall and I was just wondering what it was like before I traveled all the way there.

2. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Does anyone have pictures to compare the J Crew authentic pea coats in Tall and Regular? The closest J Crew to me only has the tall and I was just wondering what it was like before I traveled all the way there.

Normally, for most outerwear, a tall size will be about 1" longer in the sleeves and about 2" longer in the body. The difference won't be discernible by photograph, unless the two are placed side by side. Even then, the difference isn't obvious.

3. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Anyone know where I can score Metal Peacoat replacement buttons? I need 10.

4. bombers

bombers Senior member

check ebay they sell them in set of 6, 8 and individuals too.

5. iroh

iroh Senior member

nvm

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Sleeves need to be lengthen

7. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

check ebay they sell them in set of 6, 8 and individuals too.

I tried man, but haven't come across metal ones. I could be an idiot, which is highly possible.

8. university

university New Member

9. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Anyone know where I can score Metal Peacoat replacement buttons? I need 10.

Ebay has most everything, but I have not been able to find the metal buttons there. Several of us from another forum did an extensive search for them several years ago, without success. They may be on ebay now, though.

If you have a ten button coat--8 of them showing--then you may want to replace the buttons with the authentic plastic standard "anchor" buttons. They are widely available on ebay But if you want the metal ones, the link is below. I think you will want the silver oxide, but I'm not sure what you are trying to replace. There are a lot of selections. I believe you will want the 40 Ligne size, which is the 1" button, and is the size for the sliver buttons which were standard for a while in the 70s.

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/...dproduct=21309

Good luck.

10. iroh

iroh Senior member

nvm

11. chris lewis

chris lewis Well-Known Member

How snugly does that coat fit you? I'm pretty thin and most of the peacoats I've tried on look like a dress when viewed from the side.

12. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Okay guys. Fit time. Let me preface this. I'm 5'2", about 125 lbs, 33-34 inch chest. Just went to Sterlingwear in NH and got a 32S Authentic. It fits perfectly through the chest (I don't think I could go down to 30S) except the shoulders are way to wide on my frame. See pics below: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My options are basically to keep it and maybe get the shoulders cut or to go back and exhchange it for a 32S Classic... I have heard that the Classics are not as boxy/do not have as much padding in the shoulders. Anyone have any experience on that matter? Also, you can still pop the collar on the Classic correct? Any help on fit would be great.

13. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

peacoat buttons are supposed to be straight.

14. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Iroh, I see what you mean by the buttons being off. That is easily fixed. You can do it yourself. If you do it yourself, make sure you get a thimble, or the seamstress can move the buttons when you take it in to have the sleeves lengthened. Just ensure that no pockets are sewn through; that is easy to do--read, the voice of experience.

The reason the sleeves are short is because they are proportionate to the chest size. For your height, you should weigh about 185. At that weight you would wear a size 42, and the arms would be long enough for you. As you age, your body will fill out to fit your frame, and your clothes will fit you better.

15. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Okay guys. Fit time. Let me preface this. I'm 5'2", about 125 lbs, 33-34 inch chest. Just went to Sterlingwear in NH and got a 32S Authentic. It fits perfectly through the chest (I don't think I could go down to 30S) except the shoulders are way to wide on my frame. See pics below:

My options are basically to keep it and maybe get the shoulders cut or to go back and exhchange it for a 32S Classic... I have heard that the Classics are not as boxy/do not have as much padding in the shoulders. Anyone have any experience on that matter? Also, you can still pop the collar on the Classic correct?

Any help on fit would be great.

It's hard to tell about the shoulders from the pics, but it does look a bit big through the torso. I don't really notice the shoulders being too big. You have enough length in the sleeves that you could try a 32S or a 32R and see how that fits.

The sleeves are at the maximum length that I like mine to fall. I would rather have sleeves too long than too short. A sweater will take up close to another inch in the sleeves. But it all comes down to how the fit feels for you.