1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

i'll vouch that this kicks ass pretty hard.

2. bigDeeOT

bigDeeOT New Member

What did you alter?

3. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

The crimson one is probably the nicest, it just wouldn't go with much (or anything) else that I own so I erred on the side of versatile and classic.

4. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

^ The twisted arm seam is kind of strange, guess I prefer a more classic look.

5. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Most KIN pieces have a very ergonomic cut. Looking at it, it may seem a little odd...but when you wear it you appreciate it.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's also the light. In person, it does not look as obvious, but then you examine the pieces, and they are really quite intricate. Personally, I like something a little different. The Crimson one is amazing. I may just get one, since I have 101 navy, grey, and black jackets already. I disagree that it's hard to match. Grey crewneck, jeans. boots. how hard is that?

Cheers,

Fok.

7. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

^ Yeah, what I should have said is that it's a bolder piece, which isn't something I'd normally wear...not that it's hard to match. And it's one you should jump on when you have the basics (black, charcoal, navy) covered...and I needed a basic one first.

8. JMayle

JMayle Well-Known Member

Got a 1958 Navy peacoat off ebay, took it to the cleaners and just got it back today, and on the interior Name/Serial tag some asshole wrote my last name.

In the long run it doesn't matter, but why the hell would you ever feel it acceptable to write on someones clothing, I mean there was nothing to say it even belonged to me. But other than that, this coat is amazing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  9. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Yes, the vintage peacoats (pre 1980) are very nice. I have had them all, WWII through current issue and civilian peacoats. There is a real difference in quality in the vintage models.

But to answer your question, many laundries/cleaners will mark clothing with the customer's name. My shirts all have a strip with my name on it. The purpose is for identification in case the garment is lost in the plant. I guess the employee there thought that was as good a place as any for the identifying name. I do agree with you that the practice, at least in this situation, is annoying.

10. Maerhyl

Maerhyl Well-Known Member

I went back to Club Monaco and tool long hard look at the peacoat. It is very nice fitting, the medium was slim, sleeves were perfect and not too large. It was slightly snug but I could wear a wool sweater over a shirt with no problem.

However, I fear that this coat is not going to be warm enough for winter. I'm in Ottawa and it gets very cold and wet here.

I'm returning the Schott 740N.

I could try to order another US Navy vintage peacoat and go down one size but at this point, I'm probably going to order the Jcrew one. I have 150$ credit left and there is 25% off this week-end.

I will put up my Sterlingwear US navy issue for sale this week.

11. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

When you say, "I could order another US Navy vintage peacoat . . . ." please keep in mind that the Schott 740N is not a vintage Navy peacoat, nor is it a Navy Peacoat. It is a civilian copy of a WWII peacoat that Schott made almost 70 years ago. There is a world of difference between the Schott and a real vintage Navy peacoat. The material and the fit are two of the most glaring differences. Schott's marketing leads one to believe it is a vintage coat, but that is simply fluff.

About the only way to get a peacoat made of heavy (32 oz.) 100% Kelsey wool is to buy vintage. The Kersey wool is a much nicer fabric than the Melton, which is what your Schott is made of. Also the Schott is made of 75% reprocessed wool, 25% nylon and "other" fabrics. Because it isn't as warm as the vintage coats, a nylon quilted lining has been added. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting the 740N down, but just pointing out the differences in what they are marketing as a "classic" peacoat and the real thing. It does look like a classic peacoat, sorta.

If you are interested in the vintage pea coats, and haven't already done so, please see my article at the link in my signature below. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  12. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

Looking for a Jcrew small pea coat with Thinsulate - hopefully 2 years old max. PM me if selling!

13. Maerhyl

Maerhyl Well-Known Member

Thanks peacoat, when I said that I could order another vintage, I meant a real vintage from the 50s not a Schott.
    I really, really disliked that 740N coat. The photo of Ryan Gosling I posted, I believe that the peacoat he is wearing is most probably a fidelity by Gerald and Stewart, a Spiewak or some custom made coat but its certainly not a Schott.

I decided to order the jcrew with a 150$ credit + 25% off and free shipping. Hopefully, I will like the fit better.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  14. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Yes, I hope the fit is what you want this time.

Below is a picture of me wearing a size 42 WWII peacoat. My chest measurement is 42". This coat fits the way I like for them to fit. I have enough room underneath for a sweater. This is also the standard for how a military peacoat will fit. If I were to go one size down, it would be too tight for me, and the sleeves would be too short. If one wants a tighter fit, it is probably best to not go for the issue peacoats.

[​IMG]

The later issued peacoats will be just a little looser--about 1/2"--than this WWII coat.

15. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Senior member

i just got my 36r peacoat from the tailors and i think it fits awesome through the body, only thing that i have to gripe about is the sleeve width. im a fairly skinny guy but these sleeves look and feel like they can fit hulk hogans arm through here with room to spare.

i asked the tailor if there was anything he could actually do about it and he said no. is this true? i can understand not doing anything about the armhole but isnt there a way to make the sleeves slimmer? im talking like 2 inches plus of material that isnt necessary.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I got my sleeves slimmed by my tailor..

17. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

:nodding:

18. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Firstly, I HATE these mega merged threads! I have read about a tenth of this one ... and that took over an hour!

I plan to get a black pea coat this winter. Though I have broad shoulders, I usually wear a size 38 for a slim-ish fit.

I'm looking at either the Sterlingwear 'authentic' or the 'navigator' and wondering if there is much visible/noticeable difference in the quality of each. I like the idea of 100% wool, as long as it isn't too stiff, rough and scratchy. How does the wool on these two compare to the heavier Schott models?

Any advice welcome - thanks!

19. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

came across the Rugby peacoat. I have to say i like it a lot especially some of the details its got

click here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  20. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

The wool on the current issue pea coats, as well as the Sterlingwear civilian models all have the coarser texture Melton wool. None of the civilian Sterlingwears, including the Authentic and the Navigator, have 100% heavy/virgin wool. The only way to find a soft wool is with the vintage models, which mostly have the Kersey wool. The quality is the same for both of the models you mentioned--good.

For a primer on pea coats, please see the article which is linked in my signature line below. Toward the end is a section on fit. The Authentic appears to be fitted the same as the vintage and current issue models, so the information there should be equally applicable to the Authentic.

If you have questions, I will be glad to answer them, if I can.