MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

First time poster on this thread. VENT or NO VENT on a peacoat?

Military peacoats have a vent; some civilian models do not. The vent allows for more freedom of movement without binding.

2. mmmbillski

mmmbillski New Member

I just got my Sterlingwear Navigator peacoat yesterday. It's a 36R, and I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, with a 37" chest. I was originally going to order a 38R, but sized down thanks to nogo's posts. Unfortunately, I still feel like the peacoat is pretty big on me. In the photos below, I'm only wearing a t-shirt ... it feels a little tighter with a sweatshirt on, but I don't wear sweatshirts too often. In the 2nd picture, I'm holding my hand out as far as I can to show how much room I have inside the coat. How is the length and cut? I was expecting a slimmer fit. Am I being picky? I have no problem with the material, its super warm, and I think it fits me well around the shoulders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. VictorC

VictorC Senior member

I just got my Sterlingwear Navigator peacoat yesterday. It's a 36R, and I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, with a 37" chest. I was originally going to order a 38R, but sized down thanks to nogo's posts. Unfortunately, I still feel like the peacoat is pretty big on me. In the photos below, I'm only wearing a t-shirt ... it feels a little tighter with a sweatshirt on, but I don't wear sweatshirts too often. In the 2nd picture, I'm holding my hand out as far as I can to show how much room I have inside the coat. How is the length and cut? I was expecting a slimmer fit. Am I being picky? I have no problem with the material, its super warm, and I think it fits me well around the shoulders.

Yes that does look a little too big when you pull it out or maybe thats just how they are supposed to fit.

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Yes, there is a bit too much of it. A 34 might fit you better, and you have plenty of length in the sleeves to go down another size.

5. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

34R!

6. Venetar

Venetar Member

We're pretty similar, and I ordered a 34L. I'm 6' - 158 lbs - 37" chest. It's pretty tight, but I can drive a car with it without it being too uncomfortable. The only thing I worry about is the bump of my ass. Maybe I'm just not used to such long coats.

Edit: The reason it's sticking out in the front is because of how it was lying in the box. It's folded outwards. Hoping I'll be able to bend it back towards me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Easter

Easter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Peacoat.

Mine fits like mmmbillski's, since its the same size....but the shoulders are fine if I put on a sweater underneath, since it gets pretty cold in Montreal. Is it possible to move the buttons a little to the right to make the body a bit slimmer?

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Mine fits like mmmbillski's, since its the same size....but the shoulders are fine if I put on a sweater underneath, since it gets pretty cold in Montreal. Is it possible to move the buttons a little to the right to make the body a bit slimmer?

O/T: Why are you sad about being in Canada? Though seeing you're from Montreal I'm not surprised. [​IMG]

9. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

We're pretty similar, and I ordered a 34L. I'm 6' - 158 lbs - 37" chest. It's pretty tight, but I can drive a car with it without it being too uncomfortable. The only thing I worry about is the bump of my ass. Maybe I'm just not used to such long coats.

Edit: The reason it's sticking out in the front is because of how it was lying in the box. It's folded outwards. Hoping I'll be able to bend it back towards me.

You can help it along by spritzing some water on it. The roll it back the way you want it. Check it while it dries to see when to unfold it so the fold doesn't go back the other way too much. If it does't go back toward your body by the time the water dries, you didn't spray enough water on it.

BTW that appears to be a well fitted peacoat. I like to button the two top buttons and unbutton the bottom button. That way the lapel lies the way it should, and the bottom button doesn't have the strain on the threads while I am seated. Keeps me from having to repair the loose threads. If it is cold outside, I usually button it back while walking.

Yes, you can move the buttons some without making it look odd. You will just have to play with it a bit to see what works the best.

10. Easter

Easter Well-Known Member

O/T: Why are you sad about being in Canada? Though seeing you're from Montreal I'm not surprised. [​IMG]

Sales tax, retail prices, customs, lack of selection....well, you know. On another forum though my location would more likely be "Canada [​IMG]". I'd rather live in middle-of-nowhere Saskatchewan than in "Toronno" though [​IMG]

11. evilbananas

evilbananas Senior member

Has anyone ordered from the vintagetrends website? They give the measurements for each coat, but i'm suspicious as to whether they are correct. I don't want to take the chance of ordering from a place that has a shitty return policy.

12. jtong

jtong New Member

Can anyone tell me where this peacoat is from? brand?
    [​IMG]

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

We just got an H&M in here and I was able to try on their peacoat yesterday. Really nothing to write home about. The wool seemed cheapish and the cut wasn't that slim. They also didn't make the nice one with the slik lining in anything higher than 44. Which, of course, fit me in the body but left me unable to functionally hug someone while wearing the coat.

14. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

Zissou posted the most incredible pea coat in the Nigel Cabourn thread...out of my price range but it makes everything else look peasant!

15. bb714

bb714 Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of my Sterlingwear Authentic 34R with just a tshirt under. I got it today, but the shoulders seem a bit chunky and just a little too long. Anyone recommend a 32S or 32R? My chest is 36", 5'8", ~135lbs. I'll put this one up for sale if a 32S or 32R fits better. Sorry for the pic quality. Just snapped a quick pic after a shower. [​IMG] [​IMG]