Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

Nah I don't feel much weight compared to other jackets i've worn. Although, this is the first peacoat i've put on. I wouldn't say the weight is much of a factor.

On a side note, i do recommend the classic oppose to the other sterlingwear fits if you're trying to go for a slim fit by sizing down. Since the classic is cut more straight you don't get that hourglass look like some people get while sizing down with the authentic (because the authentic slightly flares out near the waist).

Actually, my only complaint about my peacoat (and all other sterlingwear) is that the sleeve width is kind of big for my skinny arms =\\. Has anyone here got the sleeve widths tailored so they fit a bit slimmer?

When I had my sterlingwear before I also noticed the the arm width is kind of big. I had the navigator before but I returned it because of a defect. I'm planning to get a new one but I don't know which model. I live in NY and I think the navigator is not warm enough to protect me from the cold and at the same time I fear that the classic (32oz) would be heavy. - although the 4 button and the high collar really appeals me [​IMG]

2. aidan.lawrence

aidan.lawrence Member

I'm sure this has been answered at some point or another in the last 140 pages, but I didn't really want to read through all that

I'm 5' 10", 165 pounds, with a 38" chest and am thinking of buying either the authentic or the navigator pea coat from sterlingwear, and i'd like it to fit well, slightly tight, but still capable of wearing a sweater underneath

my question is this: should i go with a 38? or should i go for a 40 or a 36?
    your help is appreciated

3. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

I'm sure this has been answered at some point or another in the last 140 pages, but I didn't really want to read through all that

I'm 5' 10", 165 pounds, with a 38" chest and am thinking of buying either the authentic or the navigator pea coat from sterlingwear, and i'd like it to fit well, slightly tight, but still capable of wearing a sweater underneath

my question is this: should i go with a 38? or should i go for a 40 or a 36?
    your help is appreciated

Hi. I'm 5'8 and 150 pounds with a 38 chest and I ordered the Navigator 34R. It has the modern man fit. It is snug but not overly tight. You can fit a sweater underneath.

You should probably go with the 34L

4. danilo

danilo Senior member

I'm about 5'7 with a 38" chest and I went with the 36R, if I was 5'10 I'd probably do the 36L... I could have probably fit a 34R but I think the 36R looks pretty good, I don't want a skin tight peacoat.

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

When I had my sterlingwear before I also noticed the the arm width is kind of big. I had the navigator before but I returned it because of a defect. I'm planning to get a new one but I don't know which model. I live in NY and I think the navigator is not warm enough to protect me from the cold and at the same time I fear that the classic (32oz) would be heavy. - although the 4 button and the high collar really appeals me [​IMG]

The 32 oz. will not be so heavy that you will notice the weight while wearing it. It is only 80% wool, so it won't be as warm as a Mariner, Navigator or the issue version, especially the pre 1980 issue version. Although the current models get their warmth from the insulated liner and not so much from the wool outer shell as did the vintage models. I spent many a cold winter night in the City with a vintage peacoat and a sweater. Never got cold.

6. oremo

oremo New Member

I'm looking to buy a Schott pea coat (navy, http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fa...elton-wool.htm ) but I'm not sure which size to get. (I'm 6 ft / 189lbs / chest 38" / normal build and I want a slim fit) I was also wondering if $220 is an ok price for that? (if you know a cheaper store that ships abroad, please tell me!) Thank you! [​IMG]

7. zipidy928

zipidy928 Senior member

I'm looking to buy a Schott pea coat (navy, http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fa...elton-wool.htm ) but I'm not sure which size to get. (I'm 6 ft / 189lbs / chest 38" / normal build and I want a slim fit)

I was also wondering if $220 is an ok price for that? (if you know a cheaper store that ships abroad, please tell me!)

Thank you! [​IMG]

Don't get a Schott, get a Sterlingwear instead. I did a side by side comparison and the quality of Schott is CHEAP.

8. gilwood

gilwood Senior member

Sorry I probably should have posted this here:

Not sure if I agree with the fitting suggestions. I got my sterlingwear the other day. After ordering my correct size, 42R, I found it was a little too slim fitting. I wanted more of a bigger fit since I plan on using heavy sweaters underneath. I measured the coat and the 42R was 22" pit to pit. Actually, it was closer to 21.75". That's actually a little narrow for a 42R. Note that this is measurements from the outside of the coat. I sent it back and I'm waiting for a 44R now.

9. oremo

oremo New Member

Don't get a Schott, get a Sterlingwear instead. I did a side by side comparison and the quality of Schott is CHEAP.
    *removed* Yeah, i ordered one. [​IMG]

10. GucciMonster

GucciMonster Senior member

Okay, I have scowered this thread (I think i've read every page) but I wanted to double check with you guys. I am 5' 9, I weigh 134. I have a 28 waist and my shoulders are a bit small. I wear a 36r suit but can only wear stuff by slim designers (Sander, Dolce) I AM A SLIM GUY. My question is as follows: If I pick up the authentic... What size should I get.

I live in Canada where it is cold but I am not one to wear heavy cowichan type sweaters (I would likely where a dress shirt and tie underneath from time to time). Also, is the classic a better purchase given that I am a slim guy?

Thanks

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

selling a 38l sterlingwear grey see sig

12. svelten

svelten Senior member

I know it's summer but I realized I've gotten too big for my peacoat when I button it up (the good kind, thanks to workout regiment). Pretty sure this has been answered in the last 140 pages, but is it possible to tailor it to be a little roomier? The only way I can think of doing this is moving the buttons, but wondering if that will really mess up the fit of it considering the shoulders stay the same.

13. etseq

etseq Senior member

Does anybody have any sense of the likelihood of Unis putting out a waxed cotton peacoat this fall similar to this one from last fall? [​IMG] This is possibly a stupid question, but perhaps someone has insight into this designer's habits from past seasons. Not sure if this style gets repeated often....

14. jeangenie

jeangenie Active Member

5' 10", 123lbs, size 33in chest, 28 waist

What size do I buy from sterlingwear?

15. dunelly

dunelly Senior member