MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i just got a boiled wool peacoat and am underwhelmed by its ability to keep me warm.

2. B. Roth

B. Roth Member

Add another fan of military surplus peacoats. Since the whole peacoat style is based on them anyway you might as well go with the original. They are well made and warm since they are actually designed to be used at sea. Bought mine in 1999 and it still looks brand new. I wonder if the designer peacoats hold up and function as well. My jacket size is a 40 and a size 40 peacoat is a slim fit.

3. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Schott Dur-O-Jac Naval Wool Peacoat, in black 32oz wool

[​IMG]

What gloves are those, and are they black or a deep burgundy? They are quite awesome looking.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

What gloves are those, and are they black or a deep burgundy? They are quite awesome looking.

They are dark brown cashmere-lines Portolanos. Thank you.

5. Peacoat

Peacoat Senior member

Add another fan of military surplus peacoats. Since the whole peacoat style is based on them anyway you might as well go with the original. They are well made and warm since they are actually designed to be used at sea. Bought mine in 1999 and it still looks brand new. I wonder if the designer peacoats hold up and function as well. My jacket size is a 40 and a size 40 peacoat is a slim fit.

Agreed. With an issue peacoat we know exactly what we are getting. No surprises about material, construction, wind blocking, water resistance or warmth. But that's just my opinion, and I am quite opinionated about peacoats. Others have different views.

Mr. Moo, your Schott appears midnight blue in the photographs. That is the color of the vintage coats, and I thought the current Schotts were black, as are the current issue peacoats?

Monkay, you will probably want to have your coat taken in some. It may be the proper size, but with only one of the buttons fastened, it is hard to tell. The coat should be closely fitted but with room for the shoulders and arms to move freely. If you have it taken in, leave room for a sweater under the coat when it gets cold. A dark red wool scarf that isn't very thick would be a good choice. It was 5 above when I left home for the office this morning . With a sweater under the peacoat and a wool scarf, I was plenty warm.

6. monkay

monkay Member

Thanks a lot. I need to go scarf shopping one of these days.
    Oh and I'm Dave

7. ataru

ataru Senior member

I have a made in America schott 740 (I think the durojac is the made in canada version). It is definately midnight blue. Much darker than the dark navy of raw denim, but still noticably blue in natural light. Schott sells them in black, navy and charcoal, but the navy pretty much looks black in most online pics.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Mr. Moo, your Schott appears midnight blue in the photographs. That is the color of the vintage coats, and I thought the current Schotts were black, as are the current issue peacoats?
    The coat is black according to the tags. I purchased it from an Army Surplus store (new) 3-4 years ago.

9. lt_to

lt_to Well-Known Member

Hi guys. First post here...I just bought this peacoat and though I think it's growing on me, I don't like it as much as I thought I would and I'm having a little buyer's remorse. (This might be because I'm not used to wearing good looking clothing). I'd like to become more fashion conscious, and this is coat is my first adventure- I got excited and may have bought this too quickly.

Anyway, I think if I either get this coat tailored or wear it with the right scarf, I'll really enjoy it. So first, does this fit well? I think it may benefit from bringing the sides in a bit, but I'm not really sure. Secondly, what type of scarf goes would go well with this peacoat? Something thin, thick, long, short, plaid, striped? I'm pretty new at this stuff. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

um... may be you could try taking a pic with the inner button buttoned and lapels folded the way it came with the coat... it doesn't look right to me IMHO I like the fit though, who made it?

10. monkay

monkay Member

Haha I got a little excited and buttoned it the other way. [​IMG]
    Will take another tomorrow. It's made by Guess.
    First person to guess how much it was wins a cookie.

11. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Haha I got a little excited and buttoned it the other way. [​IMG] Will take another tomorrow. It's made by Guess. First person to guess how much it was wins a cookie.
    probably too much. (just messin with you, welcome to the forum)

12. monkay

monkay Member

haha thanks. [​IMG]
    take a guess (no pun intended), you won't. [​IMG]

13. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

haha thanks. [​IMG]
    take a guess (no pun intended), you won't. [​IMG]

$99

14. stylar

stylar Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details on the two coats above? Price and where I can buy them?

Also, where can I get a legit grey Sterlinwear pea coat?

15. monkay

monkay Member

$99

impressive. i got used for $95. i'm actually not exactly sure how much it retails for. now that i think about it, it's probably an old coat- it wasn't in any stores when i looked around at other prices. oh well