1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruzzi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. zalman

zalman New Member

heh heh considering it was 64 earlier this week and now its in the teens and 20's with hail-like snow and sleet i could really use that coat. judging by the looks of whats goin on outside with people shoveling their cars and whatnot you'd swear its december. one thing i learned living in NY - never trust the weather ANYTIME of year. thats why its good to ALWAYS have a nice-looking warm peacoat handy. i called all the H&M's here (like 5 of them) and they all give me the same ridiculous answer: "well, sir, it might be here but then again it might not". What the hell kind of lameass answer is that?!? I dont understand the the staff there - Do you actually work there or do you hang out there when you're on vacation!?! When I asked if i should come down to check it out they tell me that im wasting my time but i might as well give it shot.....Are you freakin kidding me? either you have it or you dont. Dont pull my leg everytime i talk to you. Problem is when i spoke to a manager (probably the only person there without his head up his own ass) at one of the locations is that the Maldini Peacoat is a promotional/campaign item meaning its a one-time thing only, meaning it wont be around next year. So now im even more frantic to find one in my size (46-48) and im definitely not going to give up the hunt and any help would be greatly appreciated. On another topic, while navy peacoats are nice-looking, warm, and well-priced (i tried some on at a local surplus) they still cant hold their own next to a Maldini. Its not just the fit which can obviously be adjusted on anyone witha decent tailor, but its the design of the Maldini which sets it apart from the rest (over-extended collar and lapels, unique pocket layout, etc..). keep the replies comin in.

2. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

heh heh considering it was 64 earlier this week and now its in the teens and 20's with hail-like snow and sleet i could really use that coat. judging by the looks of whats goin on outside with people shoveling their cars and whatnot you'd swear its december. one thing i learned living in NY - never trust the weather ANYTIME of year. thats why its good to ALWAYS have a nice-looking warm peacoat handy. i called all the H&M's here (like 5 of them) and they all give me the same ridiculous answer: "well, sir, it might be here but then again it might not". What the hell kind of lameass answer is that?!? I dont understand the the staff there - Do you actually work there or do you hang out there when you're on vacation!?! When I asked if i should come down to check it out they tell me that im wasting my time but i might as well give it shot.....Are you freakin kidding me? either you have it or you dont. Dont pull my leg everytime i talk to you. Problem is when i spoke to a manager (probably the only person there without his head up his own ass) at one of the locations is that the Maldini Peacoat is a promotional/campaign item meaning its a one-time thing only, meaning it wont be around next year. So now im even more frantic to find one in my size (46-48) and im definitely not going to give up the hunt and any help would be greatly appreciated. On another topic, while navy peacoats are nice-looking, warm, and well-priced (i tried some on at a local surplus) they still cant hold their own next to a Maldini. Its not just the fit which can obviously be adjusted on anyone witha decent tailor, but its the design of the Maldini which sets it apart from the rest (over-extended collar and lapels, unique pocket layout, etc..). keep the replies comin in.

To be honest, you're not going to find it in a store and that's probably the response you're going to get from every one. That was from the first wave of their F/W stock (I recall seeing it at our local store in October, they were sold out and people we looking for them on here in mid-November) and in a few weeks they're gonna be at the end of their first wave of S/S stuff. Your best bet is eBay I would assume or the B/S forums on this or the other SF.

IMHO, they didn't look nearly as nice in person as they do in the photo and for the price you could get an OG peacoat and have it tailored to be more fitted and streamlined. It would also be functional and keep you warm as opposed to the H&M one that you would likely need to layer up to keep warm in a NYC winter.

3. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

I go fairly regularly to about 3 h&m's in NYC and they do not have any peacoats. I saw that "Maldini" one in person when it first came out, tried it on but didn't like it at all. It has weird details on the back that I hated and I went with one of their other peacoats that was only about $70 and a slimmer fit(although I would have paid more for the one I got).

4. robbie

robbie Senior member

[​IMG] I was looking through stills from the new white stripes video and noticed Jack White's peacoat. I really like it, the contrast of the buttons on the black wool is rad imo. Anyhow, is this something a designer made (and if so who?) or was it custom made? thx

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

It could've just been the flash. I've seen black glossy buttons look white in photos because of flash. But in general, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do. Just find a peacoat that fits you well, and then find some white buttons that you really like and have a tailor do his/her thing for what i'd imagine would be a really inexpensive operation.

6. robbie

robbie Senior member

It could've just been the flash. I've seen black glossy buttons look white in photos because of flash. But in general, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do. Just find a peacoat that fits you well, and then find some white buttons that you really like and have a tailor do his/her thing for what i'd imagine would be a really inexpensive operation.
    I had sort of thought it might have been the flash... the buttons look to have the trad. anchors on them. I have never seen white buttons with the trad anchors on them... maybe I can just give some buttons the 'krylon touch' and pick up another standard issue from my buds at the surplus storrrrrrr. robbie

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

You can buy white buttons and replace them.

8. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Senior member

I didn't know you liked the White Stripes.

9. robbie

robbie Senior member

I didn't know you liked the White Stripes.
    yeah, well for a long time I didn't really 'get' them. I mean a two piece from detroit?! Where is the bassist? Why does this girl suck so much at drumming, and really... are you brother and sister or ex-lovers make up your damn mind. (tehe he he) ***
    You can buy white buttons and replace them.
    Where can I get white buttons with anchors? I've had to replace several of the buttons on my peacoat and have been able to find the trad black ones, but had never seen white ones at JOann, Hancock Fabrics or any of the other fabric stores. hmm

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The White Stripes tend to be a fashion-conscious musical group.

11. robbie

robbie Senior member

I think their simplicity is what speaks volumes to me with regards to their fashion. Jack White is the only man I know who can make Hagar pants look awesome. also, meg was in a series of... michael kors, no.. i forget who (the designer who recently had Michael Stipe in his ads). I actually very much like the white stripes, contrary to what ZacharyD might have presumed.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think their simplicity is what speaks volumes to me with regards to their fashion. Jack White is the only man I know who can make Hagar pants look awesome.

also, meg was in a series of... michael kors, no.. i forget who (the designer who recently had Michael Stipe in his ads).

I actually very much like the white stripes, contrary to what ZacharyD might have presumed.

I believe it's Marc Jacobs who usually has Jurgen Teller shoot the rather distinctive photos. They also had Charlotte Rampling and William Eggleston as "models".

They occasionally get Baroque as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

just find some buttons and do it yourself. really super easy.

14. robbie

robbie Senior member

just find some buttons and do it yourself. really super easy.
    I realize how easy sewing is. What I am finding difficult is purchasing white buttons with anchors on them so that it doesn't look as if I simply removed the original buttons and replaced them with other buttons. I feel like if the buttons had the anchors on them, they'd look slightly less out of place on a peacoat. robbie
    They occasionally get Baroque as well:
    I wish they'd have kept the look they had with their last album instead of these nudies suits they have with 10 M buttons sewn all over them, it is quite unflattering to me.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

www.google.com Search "white buttons" "white anchor buttons" and take it to the Chinese laundry.

16. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Senior member

I actually very much like the white stripes, contrary to what ZacharyD might have presumed.

hey man, how was I to know you liked them? if you really want people to know you like them, you need to write about them a lot on myspace. did you see their Nylon cover?

17. robbie

robbie Senior member

I did, and was tempted to buy said magazine until i realized nylon is an intelligent girls cosmo.

so instead i bought the NME with a free 7', HARP, and might pick up this other magazine I saw at barnes on monday

but about the buttons, i went to a fabric store, and walmart,and michaels, no effing dice

robbie

18. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I think their simplicity is what speaks volumes to me with regards to their fashion. Jack White is the only man I know who can make Hagar pants look awesome.
    and goddamn if he doesn't know his way around a bedazzler. (Before becoming a big star, he used to own a furniture upholstry shop you know) [​IMG]

19. niubi

niubi Well-Known Member