• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

cmacn88

Reaction score
What does everyone think of the Polo Academy Coat? I just bought it online for $270 in charcoal. How is the quality? Fit? I'm 5'10" about 175, muscular build, and I bought a medium as nicer type jackets seem to run bigger on me.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmacn88
What does everyone think of the Polo Academy Coat? I just bought it online for $270 in charcoal. How is the quality? Fit? I'm 5'10" about 175, muscular build, and I bought a medium as nicer type jackets seem to run bigger on me.
That should probably fit - I am 6ft, 150lbs and I wear a small and need to get the sleeves lengthened. The sleeves on the M might be too long for you - depending on your arm length. I am a fan of that particular peacoat, compared against Uniqlo, Schott, Shipley + Halmos.

Nogo

Reaction score
How much are WWII pea coats worth? I'm asking because I want to buy one but don't know what price is too much.

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
I'm looking into the Sterlingwear coat, but being 5' 6" makes me uncertain whether to get the S or R length. Anyone with helpful insight?

Weight: 145-155ish (weight fluctuates slightly)
Chest size: 37.5" to around 38.5"
Waist: 28"

Kaneandi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nogo
How much are WWII pea coats worth? I'm asking because I want to buy one but don't know what price is too much.

Depends on where you get 'em, you might be interested in checking out:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/militar...=Navy+Pea+Coat

A lot of them aren't WWII, but are Vietnam, but still quality, sturdy, practical pea coats.

Some vintage stores sell them for 150+; Some 100-

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nogo

Yes, Kaneandi has steered you in the right direction. Prices there are reasonable, they give an honest evaluation of the condition and they know the era, as the historian who dates the coats has read the article on vintage peacoats at The Fedora Lounge. There are a couple of WWII types listed at Vintage Trends now.

WWII coats in good condition are getting more difficult to find, and, as a result, are getting more expensive. I would say prices given by Kaneandi are in the ball park. I had two of them but gave one to a friend who had looked without success for one in his size--a 42. I could only wear one at a time, so I gave my extra to him. I had less than $150 in it.

If you can't find a WWII, don't be afraid to go with a pre--1980 issue coat as the materials used in the construction are the same. The only difference is the six button front and wider lapels on the post war models. In fact my 1949 coat has the nicest finish of any of my peacoats.

Good luck in your search.

Kaneandi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
Yes, Kaneandi has steered you in the right direction. Prices there are reasonable, they give an honest evaluation of the condition and they know the era, as the historian who dates the coats has read the article on vintage peacoats at The Fedora Lounge. There are a couple of WWII types listed at Vintage Trends now.

WWII coats in good condition are getting more difficult to find, and, as a result, are getting more expensive. I would say prices given by Kaneandi are in the ball park. I had two of them but gave one to a friend who had looked without success for one in his size--a 42. I could only wear one at a time, so I gave my extra to him. I had less than $150 in it.

If you can't find a WWII, don't be afraid to go with a pre--1980 issue coat as the materials used in the construction are the same. The only difference is the six button front and wider lapels on the post war models. In fact my 1949 coat has the nicest finish of any of my peacoats.

Are you Peacoat from the Fedora Lounge? I just bought a peacoat that was from 1960's but can't accurately pin point which date, so I read up the forum to find information. You are very knowledgeable! Just saying thanks
smile.gif

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across some very nice Schott peacoats today. The Schott label and the store's tag both said the color was navy, but it looked black. Compared to black clothing it looked black and compared to navy clothing it looked black. It had leather trim at the pockets and down the sleeves. Has a beautiful bright red lining. Reg. price was $245 on sale for $122.50, no tax. They had a 38, 42 and a 46, but no 40. The 42 fit me, but I was unsure on the color as I want navy.

ngl9

Reaction score
hey, i bought this jacket but i think it looks a bit boxy near the waist. What do you think? i was thinking of moving the buttons farther apart to give it more of a slim fit. also, the shoulders fit good - it's a bit tight and restricts movement... and...is it possible to alter the width of the sleeves? it looks kinda thick =( without buttoning. also i folded in the sleeves because they are too long.

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaneandi
Depends on where you get 'em, you might be interested in checking out:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/militar...=Navy+Pea+Coat

A lot of them aren't WWII, but are Vietnam, but still quality, sturdy, practical pea coats.

Some vintage stores sell them for 150+; Some 100-

Originally Posted by Peacoat

Thanks guys!

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ngl9
hey, i bought this jacket but i think it looks a bit boxy near the waist. What do you think? i was thinking of moving the buttons farther apart to give it more of a slim fit. also, the shoulders fit good - it's a bit tight and restricts movement...

and...is it possible to alter the width of the sleeves? it looks kinda thick =(

without buttoning. also i folded in the sleeves because they are too long.

Yeah, it looks like it flares out a bit... You should take the waist in a bit.

ranker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ngl9
hey, i bought this jacket but i think it looks a bit boxy near the waist. What do you think? i was thinking of moving the buttons farther apart to give it more of a slim fit. also, the shoulders fit good - it's a bit tight and restricts movement...

and...is it possible to alter the width of the sleeves? it looks kinda thick =(

Which jacket is this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads