• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, it could still be the tailor's fault. It's just obvious how it ended up that short.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Right. Because a real peacoat doesn't have enough buttons, so two more useless ones on the pockets does the trick. Plus it's always good to have a six inch strap hanging from your peacoat collar.

Embrace your anger.

To be fair, it has double pockets, so you can button one shut for keys and keep your hands in the other. The (removable) strap goes across the chin to form a funnel collar, nice when I don't have a scarf. Only design quirk I don't like, as someone pointed out, is the gun flap on the shoulder

Sullik

Reaction score
Got my 34L in the mail today. Not sure how I feel about it though. I REALLY don't like the hourglass shape that Sterlingwear coats have to them. It doesn't look bad in the pics, but I think it's much worse in person:
IMG_7513.jpg
IMG_7511.jpg
I also really dislike how much it dovetails out in the back. The problem is, I know I won't find a coat this warm, that is this quality-made, at this price. Kinda ruins my day because I thought I had found THE coat. I guess I was hoping for something much more boxy, like the silhouette Teger has:
Originally Posted by Teger
DSCF0637.jpg

But looking closer, I guess all Navy peacoats kind of have that hourglass curve to them, even the vintage ones
frown.gif
Edit: do you think if I have a tailor take out some of the shoulder padding, it might cut down on the silhouette a bit? Everything else I like about the coat except for the shape. I even ordered a 32L, which had perfect shoulder width, but was so tight in the chest that it was pulling at the buttons and making visible stretch marks.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
if you want a boxy shape, don't size down so much. mine does have a bit of the hourglass though - it's hard to escape

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to escape because that's the design. I hope you realise that that "hourglass" is going to be there in everything unless you generally wear burlap sacks (if you do, go post some trad **** in MC).

Sullik

Reaction score
I understand that fitted clothes generally will have a bit of an hourglass curve, but seriously:
cooling-tower-01.jpg

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i mean do you just want a straight line? no taper at all from shoulder to chest to waist? or you want that taper and then a straight line?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sullik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
i mean do you just want a straight line? no taper at all from shoulder to chest to waist? or you want that taper and then a straight line?

I was just hoping for something extremely fitted. My body isn't shaped like a nuclear cooling tower.

Originally Posted by givemefive
I'd just get a tailor to take in the lower waist.

This sounds like a good idea. I bet if I had the tailor completely take out the vent in the back and pinch it in at the bottom, it would remove both the dovetailing problem and the flare. But then I run the risk of showing off my curvy hips!

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my impression is its because people are sizing down on them so much that they cannot comfortably button all of the buttons.

Originally Posted by zissou
I'm asking this out of curiosity, not just to open a can of worms:

Why do some of you wear your pea coat with the bottom button undone? Does the habit come from wearing a suit jacket? It looks all out of balance.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sullik
I bet if I had the tailor completely take out the vent in the back and pinch it in at the bottom, it would remove both the dovetailing problem and the flare.
Sure, but then you could forget about walking or sitting in the coat. You wouldn't be able to move.

I don't know how you guys can size down a heavy melton wool coat like that and expect it to fit well and not flare out at the bottom. The key to teger's coat fitting him well is that it's the right size for him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads