• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mega Millions

eztantz

Reaction score
At $355 million how good is your self restraint?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always worth buying 1 ticket if its > $100 million.

pdxpm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
It's always worth buying 1 ticket if its > $100 million.

At $355 million I'm in. If I lose it is only $1. If I win you will never hear from me again because I'll have my butler post for me.

BC2012

Reaction score
Odds of winning the Mega Millions is 1 in 176 million, according to the news.

$355/176 = $2.01. Buy 2 tickets and its still worthwhile from an expected value point-of-view, I guess.

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Bought my first lottery ticket in years tonight. My grandfather asked me to pick up a few for him so I got $2 for the Mega Millions.

People who play the lotto on a regular basis are usually uneducated and of the lower class.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My self restraint is fine, but my statistics are better. I played, just because the EV is more than the cost of a play. I bought some last week, and I bought some today. Prior to last week, I couldn't even guess when I'd last played the lottery.

Originally Posted by BC2012

$355/176 = $2.01. Buy 2 tickets and its still worthwhile from an expected value point-of-view, I guess.

If you take the partial payouts into consideration, the EV is actually higher than $2.01.

Originally Posted by Connemara
Bought my first lottery ticket in years tonight. My grandfather asked me to pick up a few for him so I got $2 for the Mega Millions.

People who play the lotto on a regular basis are usually uneducated and of the lower class.

It's true. So much so that, in my policy classes, the lottery was often cited as a regressive tax.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

I apologize for my current predicament.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some gas today and noticed the amount so I bought a ticket. The few minutes of fantasizing about what I'd do with that amount of money was worth the dollar.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the lotto exists purely as a social experiment.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know you haven't won or Tom Ford would be your personal assistant.

I personally believe the 'Mega Millions' to be irresponsible, most of the winners are poor or lower middle class who end up completely destroying their lives and the lives of their families.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
When is the drawing?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score

It's a bit more complex than that, because there are many more prize payouts than just the jackpot. Also, you need to account for taxes and the actual value of the payout, which is substantially lower than $335 million even before tax.

sharwood

Reaction score
Odds of winning the Mega Millions is 1 in 176 million, according to the news. $355/176 = $2.01. Buy 2 tickets and its still worthwhile from an expected value point-of-view, I guess.
odds does not equal probability. I don't really care what the odds are. Out of curiosity, does anybody know what the true probability of hitting jackpot is?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I personally believe the 'Mega Millions' to be irresponsible, most of the winners are poor or lower middle class who end up completely destroying their lives and the lives of their families.
Sad how it ends up like that. A forced money management class would do wonders for society as a whole. At the very least I think it would...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.