1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

meeting with secretary of state

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hotspur, Oct 5, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Seriously... is it too much to ask for?

[​IMG]

This outfit isn't much different than what most on this forum wear. Slim fit pants, boots, a vest and a nice amount of cuff showing.

BTW, is this gentleman of the gay persuasion?

2. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

This outfit isn't much different than what most on this forum wear. Slim fit pants, boots, a vest and a nice amount of cuff showing.

Yes, but would not most of us consider brown shoes?

3. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

i was thinking more of an "i [​IMG] Mark Foley" tee.

-Jeff

Considering this is a college event, a "Mark Foley Loves Me" tee is probably more apt.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

A "U.S. out of Iraq" t-shirt if you wish to be removed, probably in hand-cuffs.

Funny, I thought that the kind of behavior reserved for squalid police states.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Funny, I thought that the kind of behavior reserved for squalid police states.
    I think you actually have to make a scene to get thrown out. Clothing alone won't do it. Unless, perhaps, it says something really vulgar or advocates assassination or something.

6. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

7. Vintage Gent

I think you actually have to make a scene to get thrown out. Clothing alone won't do it. Unless, perhaps, it says something really vulgar or advocates assassination or something.

These days, unfortunately, even the slightest whiff of dissent (without any ruckus to speak of) is enough to get you removed and (at minimum) threatened with arrest:

http://progressive.org/node/9

http://progressive.org/node/2361

http://progressive.org/node/2362

http://progressive.org/mag_mcshirt

8. Britalian

Britalian Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Seriously... is it too much to ask for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

These days, unfortunately, even the slightest whiff of dissent (without any ruckus to speak of) is enough to get you removed and (at minimum) threatened with arrest:

http://progressive.org/node/9

http://progressive.org/node/2361

http://progressive.org/node/2362

http://progressive.org/mag_mcshirt

I would argue (and you would doubtless disagree) that these are different circumstances. All but one of the links discuss people trying to get into explicitly political events, campaign rallies and such. Scrutiny for those events is very high -- on both sides of the aisle. I doubt that the Secretary of State, speaking in a non-partisan capacity at a university, would insist on the same level of control. In fact, she has alread been disrupted a few times this year in academic settings. So even if her security people are trying to control things for her, their effectiveness seems to be limited.

11. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

If this is auditorium-style seating and you are an audience member, I suspect most male students won't even wear a tie. I would suggest a coat and tie.

If you are to meet with her later or attend a smaller gathering, I would suggest a suit, although a coat and tie would be OK (students are assumed to be on a limited budget and are given a sartorial pass equal to about one level of formality).

12. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

i was thinking more of an "i [​IMG] Mark Foley" tee.

should you get called on to ask a question, ask her to get a ruler and measure her erection.

13. Vintage Gent

I would argue (and you would doubtless disagree) that these are different circumstances.

They are, and I bring these examples up only to show the pitfalls of wearing expressions of political dissent in today's climate of diminishing civil liberties. I should mention that my institution was host to one of the events on Bush's "Social Security tour," on its surface a non-partisan undertaking. I was involved in some of the planning, specifically with regard to which VIPs to invite. We were told not to include Democrats on the guest list as they would not be allowed in.

All but one of the links discuss people trying to get into explicitly political events, campaign rallies and such. Scrutiny for those events is very high -- on both sides of the aisle.

Not true, at least for the last Presidential election:

http://www.refuseandresist.org/polic...t.php?aid=1569

I doubt that the Secretary of State, speaking in a non-partisan capacity at a university, would insist on the same level of control.

I doubt she would either.

14. alflauren

alflauren Senior Member

Doesn't Condi have better things to do than give talks at universities? Oh wait, they are bastions of public opinion and repositories of wisdom...

Well, if she gets a reception like the Minuteman guy got at Columbia a few days ago, why bother.

15. alflauren

alflauren Senior Member

They are, and I bring these examples up only to show the pitfalls of wearing expressions of political dissent in today's climate of diminishing civil liberties. I should mention that my institution was host to one of the events on Bush's "Social Security tour," on its surface a non-partisan undertaking. I was involved in some of the planning, specifically with regard to which VIPs to invite. We were told not to include Democrats on the guest list as they would not be allowed in.

This is done in large measure because of activists who show no decency. When I speaker appears on campus, and I attend, I would like to be able to hear the speaker. The ratcheting up of what is tolerated as dissent makes civil discourse nearly impossible. I have attended a number of events at my own (politically liberal) alma mater with conservative speakers. No one was ever removed for wearing a certain type of t-shirt - they were removed for standing up and screaming at the person on stage.

If you want to get into which party tolerates dissent at its rallies, I can go on for quite a while about the treatment my college friends and I received from the union goons while wearing Bush t-shirts at a Gore event. It cuts both ways.