1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the father attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HKnight, Jul 14, 2004.

1. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

True, it does depend very much on the blue.

2. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

What about an interesting shirt, like a Paul Smith or Etro one, with black trousers. Or perhaps even a YSL silk one. Maybe one like of this: [​IMG] Or perhaps a black and white one like This

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

We've probably killed this kid by this point. [​IMG] Here is a shirt that I saw at Banana that might work -- sort of like Paul Smith, but not as overpriced. [​IMG] This Or this Not sure how stocked the stores are, but the website has some left. Save yourself the time and order it online if you like the pattern. I know the shirts and they are really great for the price/in a pinch. I bought one myself prior to making my "Jantzen Tailor" only self-promise.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

What about a leather tie ?

5. johnnynorman3

Ernest . . . what?.

HKnight, you'll be fine. We're making you overthink. Just ask the girl what you should wear.

6. HKnight

HKnight Member

I am a college student on a budget, so no $250 Dior shirts, please [​IMG] I even cringe at the thought of spending $35 on a shirt  [​IMG] I tend to buy my dress shirts at Ross. I know I'm not going to find any MOP button shirts there, but I'm pretty happy when I can find an Alfani fitted shirt for $10. I suppose now would be a good time to spring on some more expensive dress shirts. Here are the shades of blue I mention: [​IMG] I live in Gainesville, Florida, so the temperature is quite hot even at night. Needless to say, a sweater is out of the question. As for the pinstriped trousers, I thought pinstripes should only be worn in a suit? Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This shall also be of great use to me and, I think, other young forum members looking for any sort of going-out dress.

7. johnnynorman3

If you are in Florida, I think khaki pants are totally appropriate for night-time. That being the case, the blue shirt will be fine. I am not a fan of the blue shirt khaki pant combo -- I think it is too plain -- but objectively speaking you will be fine and will look nice. I understand that $35 for a dress shirt makes you cringe -- I was there once as well. We all have been (well, most of us). I think that every once in a while its not bad to spend $35 on a dress shirt at your age, so if you feel like you want a new shirt, I'd guess now is the time to make a $40 splurge (because, obviously, you'd be buying it for a specific purpose).

But, don't let this board get in the way of you paying your way through school. Really, the end goal of every poster here, I think, is for you to get the maximum amount of bang for your buck. So, if you ask, "What should I wear?" you will get a slew of different answers than if you ask "What dress shirt should I buy for x night that costs under $25?" Posters on this board will have great answers for both types of those questions.

So, again, good luck, relax, and be yourself. Be polite and clean shaven. You'll be fine. And you are right that this board does give good advice, just know your limits. A blackjack table is a good example. Posters here can teach you how to play blackjack, but there is no need to then automatically sit at the $100 minimum table that those posters sit at. There are plenty of other tables where you can have just as much fun.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How about all black?

That is always a versatile look.

Or as mentioned an Etro type shirt with a pair of chalk striped trousers. if the shoes are slim enough a leather tie might actually work.

9. johnnynorman3

We cautioned against a silk tie and then say that a leather tie might work? What has this board come to? [​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(LabelKing @ 14 July 2004, 11:07) if the shoes are slim enough a leather tie might actually work.
    We cautioned against a silk tie and then say that a leather tie might work? Â What has this board come to? [​IMG]
    Well, they are decidely more casual. [​IMG]

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I don't know if I could take someone seriously while they were wearing a leather tie. I certainly wouldn't wear one while trying to make a first impression.

You might as well wear a three peice suit made of burgundy checkerboard fabric, a shiny tie, and have your hair flying all over the damn place.

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Where did you get that suit, anyway? If I saw the fabric in black, I'd buy it in a second...

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

#1 -- ask your girlfriend what you should wear, as she knows best what her father is like. If he's a businessman, you'll want to dress preppier. If a bricklayer, you'll want to tone it way down. If he's in advertising, then maybe you can stray into the slightly funky.

#2 -- I agree about not overdressing. I'd say don't wear a tie unless you're coming from work and you wear one at the office, or you're having lunch/dinner someplace that requires a tie. I'd say skip the jacket too (and just wear nice pair of slacks and oxford shirt) unless you wear one at work or you're going to a dressy restaurant.

#3 -- be funny without being slick

#4 -- be respectful without being obsequious

#5 -- try to learn as much as you can from your gfriend about her dad -- work; interests; hobbies; etc.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Originally Posted by Nick M,15 July 2004, 01:24
    You might as well wear a three peice suit made of burgundy checkerboard fabric, a shiny tie, and have your hair flying all over the damn place.
    Where did you get that suit, anyway? If I saw the fabric in black, I'd buy it in a second...

yeah- where DID you get that suit??
    Hmmm... Down near Pike Place Market, a little shop called Leroy's Menswear, Fantastic place. He's been dressing pimps, Sir Mix A Lot, and Seattle Sonics basketball players for over thirty years. [​IMG]

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(CTGuy @ 15 July 2004, 06:09)

yeah- where DID you get that suit??
    Hmmm... Down near Pike Place Market, a little shop called Leroy's Menswear, Fantastic place. He's been dressing pimps, Sir Mix A Lot, and Seattle Sonics basketball players for over thirty years. [​IMG]
    LOL. [​IMG] Jon.

16. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Just a couple of thoughts - being from a warm climate as well, I say go with the tan slacks and blue shirt combination. The blue with black combination also works if you want to be more formal at night.

I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers.

Also - I would definitely steer clear of the all-black look in this situation. You want her dad to see you as the nice young man who's seeing his daughter, not the "too-cool for school" hipster who's just looking to score and move on. Remember, her father is a guy too and has been through all this himself.

Bradford

17. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

As I said

In case you do not know, the maitre'd is the head member of the waiting staff, and they are only present in the better restaurants

18. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers.
    As I said
    In case you do not know, the maitre'd is the head member of the waiting staff, and they are only present in the better restaurants
    Kalra - Hadn't seen your previous post, but I obviously agree with your point and YES - I do know what a maitre'd is. Bradford

19. marc237

marc237 Senior member

As a father of a teenage daughter, I prefer the young men she dates to meet me wearing a simple two piece dark suit, white shirt, and tie - preferably an outfit they would not be ashamed to be buried in - just in case they think about getting physical. "grin"

p.s. Kalra-

Thank you. I had been wondering why there seems to be so many guys in tuxes at restaurants.

20. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

(kalra2411 @ 15 July 2004, 09:04) Quote I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers.
    As I said
    Kalra - Hadn't seen your previous post, but I obviously agree with your point and YES - I do know what a maitre'd is. Bradford[/quote] Okay, sorry, I did not mean to sound condescending either, I did not realise that you did not see my post, I was simply informing you, incase you did not see that part of the post for any reason.