1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meet Justin Timberlake, the new Cary Grant

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PhiloVance, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bertie

bertie Senior member

Don't think I said they did not change only that the evolution was slower than that of designer fashions. Not sure I understand the last sentence.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Because we voluntarily subscribe to a certain sartorial tradition, and thus awareness of its history and evolution is important. Traditions change, of course, but not as rapidly as trends. The evolution of classic menswear is more studied than the wild and frenetic changes of the fashion forward.

Aesthetics dictate, either directly or indirectly, the choice of our clothing. They are subjective. Certain aesthetic directions change more rapidly than others; adhering to a tradition provides a buffer against the fickle shifting of fashion and ensures that when we look back at pictures of ourselves twenty years from now we don't think "what the fuck was I wearing?"

3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

One man's "tradition" is another man's "trend." These types of wordy rationalizations are stupid and used much too often here. I think "what the fuck was he wearing" at least once everytime that I look into WAYWRN. Other men may think that those outfits look fantastic. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who cares?...not this guy[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, trends and traditions are apples and oranges, as you can have trends within tradition. But to say one man's trend is another's tradition is, well, wrong, unless you want to expand the scope of the trend to the point that it loses relevancy to the discussion (in which case, yes, a century old tradition can represent a trend in a millennium of clothing).

Regardless, there is clearly a tradition within context behind menswear. Without it, there really isn't much point besides what you are required to wear for whatever field you work. As this is a menswear forum, we can assume that people here are at least marginally interested in that tradition and therefore should be praised, criticized, and advised with respect to it.

And while you certainly have "what the fuck moments" in WAYWRN, they are fewer and of a lesser extent than those in the SW&D WAYWT (again, apples and oranges since most there don't care what they think of what they wore twenty years from now), and those moments usually arise from either poorly executed fits or fits which deviate overly from the tradition.

5. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Many thanks for the comments regarding the "blank slates." On a somewhat related note, have any of you been watching the NBA playoffs? The NBA catwalk is threatening to relegate the actual games to a sideshow. I've become intrigued by this not so recent phenoment, but you've really got to see it to believe it:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2013/05/miami-vice-stylin-profilin-on-nba.html

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

lebron always looked good especially after the beauty and the beast magazine cover.

and i agree, its a good development!

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Like it or not, I think the trend towards the "classics" is a nice change. Granted Justin, Wade, LBJ, etc. may not subscribe to a majority of the CM "rules" (guidelines are probably more accurate), but I think it's a pleasant shift. I would rather see interesting suits, ties, and shoes than oversized t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. Additionally, the dressier popularity does impact designers (e.g., RL) and allows us (who cannot bespoke everything) access to them. However, going too far definitely has its negatives (e.g., popularity of wingtips results in an Aldo explosion), but I think it's part of the cycle.

Regarding Mr Grant, yes, he dressed well, and was admired for looking smart during his time. He wore nicely cut suits but was still influeced by the trends (e.g., higher waist line, more voluminous pants). Comparisons across generations are more for conversations rather than anything. We all do it, comparing someone contemporary to a legend of the past (Steve Young vs. Joe Montana), and at most it creates stimulating debates.