• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mux8

Reaction score
For break in, I repeat, leathermaster vital is much better than spray.

What's your process like?

Does anyone have any tips on how to break-in/ strech the vamp instep? I'm wearing RUI last (boots) in 7uk. The 7.5UK were too big I felt like. Unfortunately the 7UK are very tight in the instep and have caused a lot of swelling near the top of my foot.

iva80

Reaction score
Actually I stretched vamp on other shoes.
Add solution to vamp area. Not much, just like with a conditioner. Also add to areas that could give in a bit and can “share” some leather to the vamp, like shoe sides.
Leather will soften.
Now wear the shoes for half hour with a thicker sock ideally.
Afterwards I used shoe tree wrapped in a thicker sock with a few shims stacked under the tree to keep thevamp stretched.
Leave till morning. (Important)
Apply a layer of leather conditioner.
Try on.
Repeat next evening if more stretch required.

Go small steps

iva80

Reaction score
All of you guys are right:
- paramount to choose a last which fits
- heels hurt. Possible that heel cup will never fit and may need to get creative. I created a padding in the cup cutting a piecd from an older insole
- leather is thick and stiff. Leather conditioner and wear will soften it

My RUIs are 90 % wearable, but I know the right foot will never be perfect because of the width. Probably a 7.5 on left snd 8 on right would be good. Left is grest with modified heel cup

mux8

Reaction score
Actually I stretched vamp on other shoes.
Add solution to vamp area. Not much, just like with a conditioner. Also add to areas that could give in a bit and can “share” some leather to the vamp, like shoe sides.
Leather will soften.
Now wear the shoes for half hour with a thicker sock ideally.
Afterwards I used shoe tree wrapped in a thicker sock with a few shims stacked under the tree to keep thevamp stretched.
Leave till morning. (Important)
Apply a layer of leather conditioner.
Try on.
Repeat next evening if more stretch required.

Go small steps

Very interesting. Is the product you use essential? I have saphir renovateur, I don't suppose using that instead will work.

Yeah I have been wearing my RUI boots for 40 plus hours. They are much better than when I started, but still have a long way to go. I really love the boot, just quite painful to break in. My left heel cup was an issue initially, but now it seems ok.

iva80

Reaction score
Vital is similar to the stretch solutions. The conditioners are different. I found the chemical composition at some point.

mux8

Reaction score
Thanks. After 30 hours my boots are almost there in terms of break in. Maybe like 80%.

mux8

Reaction score
random question but does anyone recommend a specific shoe tree that works well with the RUI last?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Talking about Rui last

787ff45f2e7f64eccad5e5dd425b001e792f3092.jpg

And won these on eBay, gave them some shoe care and they look great

2afc979714015751afb110565ca2a7b95b8a0d95.jpg

b48627ee7cea370e7feb24437abef4cc5d049e48.jpg

mux8

Reaction score
Nice! I got the same brown boots. Do you mind explaining what you did to polish them?

Question: On Derby boots like those, should you be able to close the flaps when lacing the boots shut?

Attachments

• 20191118_141236.jpg
    20191118_141236.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 217

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No!
The whole purpose of derbies IMO is to give you some extra flexibility if you have high insteps (as I do!).
It might be an issue if you’re plodging through wet marshland on a yomp to Port Stanley but for city dwelling it looks absolutely fine!

Mihai B.

Reaction score
Nice! I got the same brown boots. Do you mind explaining what you did to polish them?

Question: On Derby boots like those, should you be able to close the flaps when lacing the boots shut?
I intend to buy the same brown boots. Is the leather stiff? Are they comfortable after break in?
I bought a pair of antique oxfords and I could not flex them on walk. Hard as wood.

Still wondering if I should order these boots on smooth leather or the country calf. I want to wear them this winter not the next one because of the break in period.

mux8

Reaction score
I intend to buy the same brown boots. Is the leather stiff? Are they comfortable after break in?
I bought a pair of antique oxfords and I could not flex them on walk. Hard as wood.

Still wondering if I should order these boots on smooth leather or the country calf. I want to wear them this winter not the next one because of the break in period.

Which model are you considering? I think the soft calf leather used on the Chelsea boots are not stiff and don't require much break in if any.

I don't mind a long break in. My boots are still breaking. They are substantially more comfortable than when I first got them, but they are still tight around the instep where the tongue joins the uppers. I may need to take them to a cobbler open this portion up.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I used Renomat to strip of old polish and soem waxes, then renovateur, then dark brown cream and then wax. I did used wax on these since I intend to take them to Vancouver and they told me it rains a lot. About the flaps, nope, the suede ones are 9.5 UK and I can close them mostly since they are very voluminous, the brown ones are 9 UK and I don't close them.

From what I can tell, the leather is very very soft.

mux8

Reaction score
I used Renomat to strip of old polish and soem waxes, then renovateur, then dark brown cream and then wax. I did used wax on these since I intend to take them to Vancouver and they told me it rains a lot.

Did you use Saphir Dark Brown shoe cream? What about the wax (brown or black?) Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads