• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jayvee

Reaction score
Did you go for the cordovan?

I’m sorely tempted as like the HOK last and damn they’re great value..

New Trickers cordovan arrived though...

Yep the cognac shinki.

Those Trickers look great ?

Coffandcig

Reaction score
This is also true. Full disclosure, I own some of their maestro line, and even their maestro line sometimes do have issues. But, again the value they offer for what one is getting is really the key takeaway.
Here's my collection of Meermin. My feet hurt so bad right now that I'm not wearing footwear right now. The chukka boots are ugly and the leather on the toe cap is wrinkling. I used acetone on the black derby boot to try to lessen the break-in. ACETONE! It's a fact that Meermin uses ****** leather that hurts your feet. The brown Shinki boots are Linea Maestro and those are of a better quality but I bought those used off of eBay from a popular blogger so they were a special makeup that us plebs don't normally get. My feet hurt wearing Meermin. You can call me a fool. I paid for these with my money and my feet hurt wearing them. The shell cordovan is different; I say that because I own them. I wholeheartedly do not recommend Meermin based in my experience. Any asshole schilling for another company before they even wear the shoes is straight up liar.

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_031223779.jpg
    IMG_20191117_031223779.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 394

Coffandcig

Reaction score
You should use some shoetrees on these. The creases are dreadful ...
That's Meermin leather when you don't know the owner and what you receive. Why should I use shoe trees on shoes I no longer wear? Honest question.

Edit: I'm really glad you made this snide comment which makes my point for me. The leather is ****. I have to put band-aids on my heels because my feet hurt when wearing them. My pinky toes have callouses from wearing Meermin shoes. The plastic toe and heel caps cause pain. I've never had any footwear cause pain.

Last edited:

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Why did you buy so many if they hurt or was this a bundled deal?

Plastic / leather heel doesn't make a difference: https://www.theshoesnobblog.com/201...-believe-the-hype-part-1-heel-stiffeners.html
I bought them in a binge. I lost the ability to walk then regained it. Afterwards, I decided I wanted better footwear than Johnston and Murphy that I previously wore soi bought a **** ton before wearing them. Meermin was touted as a value but value requires a comparison and I wish I didn't spend so much money on them. This is my experience. I have almost every last and multiple models; I don't work for any fashion brand.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
That's Meermin leather when you don't know the owner and what you receive. Why should I use shoe trees on shoes I no longer wear? Honest question.

Edit: I'm really glad you made this snide comment which makes my point for me. The leather is ****. I have to put band-aids on my heels because my feet hurt when wearing them. My pinky toes have callouses from wearing Meermin shoes. The plastic toe and heel caps cause pain. I've never had any footwear cause pain.

Sorry for this snide comment. It wasn't meant to be rude. The creases relation to the quality of the shoes is not very relevant. It took me 10 sec to find some John Lobb in the same condition on ebay. Meermin reputation is a relative stiffness. Some people are complaining about it. Personnaly I don't find it that stiff but I only own suede shoes from them though I tried a lot of lasts in the NYC showroom. You might have feet that require more care especially on last choice and structure.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I have almost every last and multiple models; I don't work for any fashion brand.

My feet don't fit every last. I can't wear Carmina Simpson (which is a very common last from them). I can't wear Meermin Elton and Rui lasts (painful on the little toes, I would need to size up too much). My all time best last is Carlos Santos 401. Whenever I need to buy a pair of shoes I look online to see if any model that I want exists in that last from them. I hope you will be able to find a last that fits you perfectly.

aPaleDragon

Reaction score
If you don't plan on using them anyway and if you don't want to sell them, you can try this method:

Although I would object to this for several reason (not suitable for dress leather,might/will damage the integrity of the shoe/might cause mold etc.) you can try this on the lining and the outside to soften the leather a ridiculous degree. I would only refer to this as a last resort, before putting them in the bin though.

iva80

Reaction score
My secret to break in leather: https://www.multimaster.com.au/leather-products-repair-vital.html

It is a product used to unstiffen old leather. I do not use stretch spray, but I use this. It sucks into leather immediately and makes it very flexible until the solution dries. I either wear the shoes or use larger shoe trees to permanently stretch leather. Works very well because it evenly penetrates leather on large areas.

I follow with a leather conditioner afterwards(a few hours).
Vital is not a conditioner.

It helped a lot with my Rui-s.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Saphir Shoe-eze is also a solution for stiff leather. In this case the problem probably comes from the plastic that is never going to change its shape like leather would.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my collection of Meermin. My feet hurt so bad right now that I'm not wearing footwear right now. The chukka boots are ugly and the leather on the toe cap is wrinkling. I used acetone on the black derby boot to try to lessen the break-in. ACETONE! It's a fact that Meermin uses ****** leather that hurts your feet. The brown Shinki boots are Linea Maestro and those are of a better quality but I bought those used off of eBay from a popular blogger so they were a special makeup that us plebs don't normally get. My feet hurt wearing Meermin. You can call me a fool. I paid for these with my money and my feet hurt wearing them. The shell cordovan is different; I say that because I own them. I wholeheartedly do not recommend Meermin based in my experience. Any asshole schilling for another company before they even wear the shoes is straight up liar.

honestly, I didn’t call you a fool. I was simply summarizing what the video said, guess I should have used quotation marks.

I do however feel you are being quite unreasonable in your crusade against Meermin. The idea that their leather is responsible for your foot pain is silly. The fact that your feet are hurting is likely because the lasts that you tried don’t work for your feet. No matter what kind of material is used, or a shoe makers skills, choosing the wrong last will be painful.

I personally have owned 11 pairs of Meermin, of those, 3 of them did not work, caused by sizing errors, or incompatible lasts. It wasn’t Meermin’s fault, not all of their last fit my feet. I moved 2 of them on and was able to stretch 1 to work for my feet.

As for accusations about schilling, well it’s unfortunate you feel that way. But, I’m pretty sure the OP’s reputation stands on its own. People around here know him, and the fact that he says these positive things about a company that is in direct competition with him, pretty much bolsters his credibility, and honestly, destroys yours. Really, it’s just a discussion board and that’s what we do here. I respect your decision to not use the brand anymore, but repeatedly expressing this vendetta of yours in the makers thread, is poor form.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks can kill. Killing my feet that is! Still not broken in sadly.
Rui last and soft loafers did not require break in time though :/
Guess how many fingers I am holding up?
Also anyone knows how to take better mirror shine photos?

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe its me...maybe its the leather but I cannot get a decent shine on my Meermin cap top oxfords. Any tips? Using Saphir and following Kirby Allison’s videos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads