• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iva80

Reaction score
The leather softens, but the plastic heel and the stitches make everything painful. You need a perfect fit with them to feel good. I am experimenting with heel cup pads to alleviate the pain.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
The leather softens, but the plastic heel and the stitches make everything painful. You need a perfect fit with them to feel good. I am experimenting with heel cup pads to alleviate the pain.
Meermin confirmed to me the cordovan are built with Maestro materials which is maybe how I escaped this peril! As they use leather over plastic I believe.

iva80

Reaction score
Plain toes are more forgiving. Right now I am still fighting between heel and stitches on my RUI brogues.

iva80

Reaction score
Actually I find the leather quite nice. It is thick and does not crease in excessively. It does not have a strong leather smell like other brands I own: Trickers and Sebago smell very strongly. Dogs on the street are attracted by these.

But the keyword is fit.
My left heel is smaller than the right. The right fills the cup somehow and is ok-ish. The left is a pain, the upper cup diggs deep. I added a foam pad to help fill the cup anx it is much better.
Seems like Hok would be a good fit for me. Hope our forum colleague will reply my earlier question.

Skelnik

Reaction score
I think the inside leather lining in the shell cordovan service boots are of high quality and relatively soft. I’m not sure if anyone else agrees or if it is any different from any of their other boots. That may have been what I was most impressed about with these boots. I was expecting stiff lower quality leather on the inside, but was pleasantly surprised.

aPaleDragon

Reaction score
Final note on this: I used a tiny bit of mink oil (just tapping the oil once) and rubbed the lining with my finger, so that the inside of the problematic areas would become saturated and softer. Then I broke the upper in by hand for half an hour on each side, using a lot of force here. I will condition the upper with a suiting leather cream tomorrow and break them in by hand again (don't use mink oil here!). Can't walk properly at the moment since I'm still missing chunks of my shin, but for what I can tell they are much better already.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some stiff boots before and found you need to work them over by hand. For me it was the heel cup cutting into me. Some conditioner on the inside (it was suede so I didn't put anything on the outside) and just bent and flexed it a lot. I also took the handle of a butter knife and really worked over the problem areas (from the inside) and that took care of the problem.

One of these days when I'm in NYC I'll make a stop and try some on; with my EEE and high instep feet I'd have to order and return a bunch to find something that would work.

aPaleDragon

Reaction score
They have a great initial fit for me, despite the adamantium leather. With EEE you could try their new HOK last, maybe size up .5.

pedromvu

Reaction score
Is this the first time that Meermin releases the current NST Boots that are in MTO right now? I kind of remember seeing them before but I haven't seen photos of any owner.

My only experience with Meermin is with the Hiro last on a double monk, which found to be true to size and the only info I found about Hok last is I should be fine with the same size for use with thicker socks but I was wondering if someone else already has experience with how the Hok last compares to others.

Edit: I had my UK conversion wrong, actually my Hiro shoes are half size down than my Brannock not true to size.

Now that I read a few pages back it seems I should go down half size from Hiro (1 full size from Brannock) but I am not sure if that would be for thin or thick socks.

Last edited:

Contango

Reaction score
Well they do sell belts, wallets, bags.
But they’re not shoes.

“We are dedicated to produce & sell well made, quality Goodyear Welted shoes at a radical affordable price point.”

shotsmcgee

Reaction score
Still waiting for my MTO burgundy shell cordovans...

They got back to me and said the following
Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to inform you there was an issue and we repeated the order, do not worry we will have it ready in 10 days, we added you a shoe tree and a brush to maintain your boots and keep them perfect conditions in future. Sorry again for delay

Thanks again for your interest & please just let us know if you need any further assistance.

Now on the 11th day today hahaha. Sent them another follow up strongly worded email.

These were due to arrive in September, safe to say I'll never do a Meermin MTO again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics