• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Noticed this description on a pair of dark suede oxfords. Can anyone speak to the integrity of meermin's suede vs the winter elements?

View attachment 1268794
Providing they’re properly treated with a protective spray I’d think they’d hold up as well as any other suede.
I like suede in winter but wouldn’t have them out in extreme weather as what’s the point in having all my other boots...?

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Kind of off subject, but can you share what insert you use? I ask because I have a pair of shoes made with CXL, that are somewhere between 1/2 to full size to big for me. Just wondering if a good insert would take up the extra space.
I use very basic, cut-at-home Dr. Scholl's gel inserts. They add just the right amount of impact absorption I need to walk like a normal person. There's multiple mm thicknesses so you'll probably need to try out multiple.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Received notice today that my MTO shell service boots have finally shipped. Looking forward to getting them in hand.

Me too. I ordered 1 pair in brown in early July and 1 pair in burgundy later in July but both are shipping now in separate shipments. Hoping to have them Friday.

mux8

Reaction score
I have owned a pair of these before and the color is lighter than appears in their photos. I feel it is more of a milk chocolate color. I didn't really notice any patina, but it does soften up a bit over time and seems to break in nicely.

Thank you. Are you aware of any boots that patina over time? Or is that something that doesn't really happen with meermin shoes.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to exchange a MTO? I received chukka suede and the shoe is a much darker brown than the picture. If an exchange is not possible is there a chance they will lighten over time?
My experience with suede is it actually darkens over time

Reactions: 1up

Skelnik

Reaction score
Finally arrived - burgundy
C0C5E41D-1440-482E-B579-1D075AD53855.jpeg 402A8050-1D68-4896-B01C-58F994141675.jpeg

mux8

Reaction score
So the 7.5 in Rois feel loose while the 7.0 feel a bit tight in the forefoot area. The 7.0 feel similar to the Hiro. Any recommendations. Does the leather stretch out over time?

Also do you guys prefer dark CALF or expresso color. I like the dark CALF, but I wonder if it would be bettor to get expresso and add dark shoe cream instead which would give it a bit more patina.

See attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG-20191101-WA0026.jpeg
    IMG-20191101-WA0026.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 290

iva80

Reaction score
So the 7.5 in Rois feel loose while the 7.0 feel a bit tight in the forefoot area. The 7.0 feel similar to the Hiro. Any recommendations. Does the leather stretch out over time?

Also do you guys prefer dark CALF or expresso color. I like the dark CALF, but I wonder if it would be bettor to get expresso and add dark shoe cream instead which would give it a bit more patina.

See attached photos.
Dark cream over a light color looks bad at the creases. The light color will show up there quickly.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Both awesome looking boots sir. Well worth the wait I hope? They are really light weight I thought? Maybe comparing to Trickers though.

Yes, very light weight. I agree, it was a bit surprising. They are about the same as Allen Edmonds in terms of weight. My Alden and Crockett & Jones boots are heavier. They were a bit shorter than I expected as well. For some reason they seemed a big larger and heavier in the photos. Not good or bad just not quite what I expected.

The burgundy pair, which is Shinki Hikaku has micro-creases in certain areas. I am not used to that with shell cordovan. It almost looks like calf leather in those areas. I wonder if anyone else’s does that or if it is just a fluke on my pair.

The cigar pair, which I think is Rocado doesn’t have the micro-creases and is a stunning shade of brown. Overall I really like both pairs of boots, but if I had to make a suggestion it would be for them to do a better job around the storm welt. Mine look a bit haggard in certain areas, but fortunately it would be hard for anyone else to notice while wearing them.

They both fit great! I went a half size smaller than my normal UK size (8E down to 7.5E) which is a size down from my Alden Barrie size (8.5D US to 7.5E UK). I am very happy with the new HOK last. The shape of the last is really nice. They fit my feet well. I think it is their best looking last, for boots at least. Definitely a bit sleeker than I expected, but still roomy. The inside couldn’t be done better. The leather they used to line the boots is amazing and very comfortable right out of the box! The soles and heels are also very nice quality.

Overall I am happy with them. I probably won't keep both pairs as I purchased another pair of boots from Alden while I was waiting for these. It took almost 4 months since I ordered the cigar pair. They gave me a free large brush and dauber for the delay which was nice.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads