• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rnt

Reaction score
Oh oh, sounds like another one is coming through the gate...lol

This brand was my gateway into hand made shoes. Now, I’m hopelessly lost in a sea of, so many shoes, so little time to wear them.
Gheghe, i feel you man. Im just getting into the world of dress shoe’s but have a lot of casual ones

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
You would have thought the ‘premium’ leather would be made to premium standards..

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
That’s why you don’t pay a premium price. That said, they seem to pay a lot of attention to QC on their shell
Hi, my comment was relative to their two lines as I see them. You have the maestro range which is what I was referring to as the premium (for them) range. I thought with shell they’d want to really attract attention as that’s what most people comment on and the price difference is probably most pronounced. Really looking forward to getting mine now.

boot_owl

Reaction score
Hi, my comment was relative to their two lines as I see them. You have the maestro range which is what I was referring to as the premium (for them) range. I thought with shell they’d want to really attract attention as that’s what most people comment on and the price difference is probably most pronounced. Really looking forward to getting mine now.

As I understood it, you were asking why premium leather i.e. shell wasn't made to premium i.e. LM standards right? The answer is so they can attract attention to the massive price difference i.e. $350 for shell shoes. If you want LM standards, add on the LM upcharge which brings you up to $470 per pair - still a good price but not quite as attention grabbing.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
As I understood it, you were asking why premium leather i.e. shell wasn't made to premium i.e. LM standards right? The answer is so they can attract attention to the massive price difference i.e. $350 for shell shoes. If you want LM standards, add on the LM upcharge which brings you up to $470 per pair - still a good price but not quite as attention grabbing.
Fair play sir. I find people can get quite tetchy regarding Meermin for some reason. You did indeed interpret my question correctly. I’m sure people would pay the price difference suggested for a true premium boot with premium leather?

I understand the business model is quality and price but seemed strange to have a leather that is associated with higher prices at the lower end of their range production wise. I’m not familiar with the brand to be honest and the price I paid was too good to miss for Shinki and JR soles!

ijustknow

Reaction score
And they control supply chain very well, I live in China, but I cannot find any Meermin here. Except someone buy it from oversea and resell online.
Meermin is a totally separate company from Carmina. They don't share lasts, hides, or even employees. One produces in China, the other in Spain.

Ladislav

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to contribute with a sort of survey question. Are MTO shoes from the Meermin worth a try? What are then possibilities and your experience, if one gets a creepy pair?
I'm pretty interested about the new WAX Chelsey boots, they presented again recently. You think, they are worth a try?

Many thanks,

L.

Skelnik

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to contribute with a sort of survey question. Are MTO shoes from the Meermin worth a try? What are then possibilities and your experience, if one gets a creepy pair?
I'm pretty interested about the new WAX Chelsey boots, they presented again recently. You think, they are worth a try?

Many thanks,

L.

Yes definitely. They can’t be returned so research their sizing to make sure you have the best chances of getting a good fit. The wax calf looks good IMHO. If you decide to place an order please post some pics after you receive them.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Waxed calf very in at the moment . I’m part of an MTO on Trickers page and Cheaney are starting to offer one.

Awaiting my first MTO Meermin in the cordovan boot so can’t speak to service etc.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any folks got the barenia loafer? care to share pics and offer an opinion or a review?

josef1

Reaction score
Hey gentlemen!
I happen to be the lucky winner of Meermins giveaway for an unlined loafer on Instagram, lucky me! Haha now my question is: I ordered it a half size down in 6.5UK from my usual 7UK in oxford shoes across 4 diff brands (7uk in RUI as well). Figured it being a loafer plus unlined might warrant a size down. Would half sizing down fit well or too tight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads