• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a follow up (and venting):

So, I got a call from Fedex to inform me that my package is in Customs, and they want me to pay the import fees by phone. "No problem, how much do I owe you? - 94,72 CAN$ sir.»

No need to say, it was quite a shock. I've seen customers in Canada owing Fedex anywhere from 40 CAN$ to 70 CAN$, but 94$? For a single ******* pair of shoes?

I guess I've had it coming, but I find it somewhat depressing that the 175 US$ pair of shoes really is 375 CAN$ in the end.

Lesson learned.

@MTLinStyle

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

So, I got a call from Fedex to inform me that my package is in Customs, and they want me to pay the import fees by phone. "No problem, how much do I owe you? - 94,72 CAN$ sir.»

No need to say, it was quite a shock. I've seen customers in Canada owing Fedex anywhere from 40 CAN$ to 70 CAN$, but 94$? For a single ******* pair of shoes? 

I guess I've had it coming, but I find it somewhat depressing that the 175 US$ pair of shoes really is 375 CAN$ in the end. 

Lesson learned. 

@MTLinStyle

That does seem high to me. I haven't had any Meermin shoes delivered to me, but I have had duties and taxes around 30% of the price before for Crockett and Jones and Herring Shoes.

You should ask Fedex for a breakdown of the $94. Their brokerage fee is probably part of that, in addition to 18% duties and 13% HST (or whatever you have in your province).

MTLinStyle

Reaction score

Lesson learned. 

@MTLinStyle

Although, it came as a shock to you that was in line with what I would expect
. as I mentioned I had paid $157 for two pairs that were 132E each (160E minus VAT), and EUR/CAD rate was around 1.36. So convert base price that you paid (175?)in USD to CAD (@1.25) plus customs + GST + PST + FedEx ($10) plus tax on FedEx fee and you are looking at over $90 CAD

MTLinStyle

Reaction score

You should ask Fedex for a breakdown of the $94. Their brokerage fee is probably part of that, in addition to 18% duties and 13% HST (or whatever you have in your province).

FedEx does provide the pink slip with the breakdown of all the charges.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check it out when the shoes get here!

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lesson learned.

@MTLinStyle

******* hell, what a rip; always ship by government postal service if you can. Hopefully your new shoes are worth it.
smile.gif
Still cheaper than Allen Edmonds here though FWIW.

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
^ So duties and brokerage on a pair of $750 USD Vass from NMWA would be ~$315 Cad... Wow...and after the exchange itself the shoes come out to ~$950 CAD. That's prohibitive.

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I ***** about this every time but why the hell won't they do anything other than a wholecut with that gorgeous gold museum.

HughJ

Reaction score

^ So duties and brokerage on a pair of $750 USD Vass from NMWA would be ~$315 Cad... Wow...and after the exchange itself the shoes come out to ~$950 CAD. That's prohibitive.

UPS is worse....the brokerage fee is a sliding scale based on the declared value. I used to have it bookmarked, but can't seem to find it right now. One time I ordered a pair of socks at a discount from the US, and the seller declared the pre-sale value. The difference of $3 caused the brokerage fee to go from something like $7 to $20. Outrageous.

As for Vass, the GTA Shoe Shine guy is selling them now, if your other sources refuse to use the regular postal system vs couriers.

Brenner

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I ordered from Meermin more than a mont ago and still no asnwer

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but does anyone have a sense of how Meermin's rapello suede compares to e.g the suede Carmina or Vass uses? I have one of their suede shoes and the suede seems kind of tough to break in (if it will at all)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads