• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Which one of you is responsible for this? :foo:

i concur the silver buckle is a fail, imo.

poissa

Reaction score
I think I want Vil as offered by Meermin made but with the quality provided in Carmina line of shoes. Is this something that can be accomplished by a MTO program? I'm not in any rush concerning delivery of the shoe. Just want something that is serviceable several years. Also, need flush mounted sunken metal toe plates.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't have pencil-feet I would recommend you to maybe choose the New Rey last over the Vil. I can't say much with regards to the quality, but I doubt the LM is far away from Carmina quality, so a MTO program would give you what you want.
Does Meermin do flush toe plates?

i concur the silver buckle is a fail, imo.

Strongly disagree.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The value proposition is interesting. As I calculate it, Meermin MTO is rougly $375 shipped to the U.S. How does that compare to a pair of Carmina's ordered directly from Carmina?

Swede66

Reaction score
Hi guys,

received delivery of my first Meermin's, dub monk in dark brown suede (since a number of pictures are already posted on those, I skip it).

Obviously I know nothing on how they will stand the test of time, but they do look very nice new. I have a humble collection of just above 10 pairs of decent shoes (C&J's, bench- and handgrades, AS Exclusives, RM Williams, Alden's and a pair of Allen Edmonds) to compare with.
For the price, €170 incl shipping, the Meermins appears to represent an excellent, to-good-to-be-true, value.

Sure, there are some finnishing flaws (some glue on the upper of the welt that you can see if you study them closely but never once on your feet, a bit less than perfect finnishing inside) that I would not have accepted on a pair of C&J's bought at retail, but the finnishing is in no way second to the two pairs of Alden shells that I own. The suede feels dense (if that is the correct word), the interior leather smoth and supple.

I simply cannot belivive that the shoe on my feet is bought at €150...why did I spend €500 each on two pairs of shoes as late as in June...?

Service from Meermin was also great. Placed the order late Wednesday evening, received a PayPal invoice 30 minutes later, paid and got the shipping confirmation with tracking code first thing thursday morning. A week later the shoes were on my feet. Outstanding!

And, for all you sizing junkies out there; I wear 8.5E in C&J 337's and 8.5F in AS Exclusives (though slightly roomy) and the 8.5 Hiro last fits me beutifully.

More orders to come!

Cheers!

Calikid

Reaction score
its remarkable how many of you feel entitled to beautifully styled shoes of great quality at the lowest of prices. are you really surprised when your $200 shoe actually looks and feels like a... $200 shoe? some of the defects are unacceptable (like heel falling off) but some of these stitching errs are just nitpicking.
And how about that Pepe and Jose? the service from Meermin is great, it really is. every time they respond you can sense the care and effort they place into every order. and yet in the past couple of weeks, this thread has been littered with complaints of shipping delays and "ignored" emails. just take it easy, Meermin is growing and with it comes some growing pains. just 6 months ago this thread was just a handful of pages long, and only 3 months ago, Meermin hadnt even a webpage. I can only imagine how many inquires they began receiving when folk caught wind of the great Meermin cabballero: makers of $500 shoes at just a fraction of the price
what a deal!
I guess you're talking about the classic line from Meermin... Carmina has better leather and better finishing. I also find their lasts much nicer.

But I also believe Meermin offers a better value.
I agree to the extent that as the comparison relates to shell cordovan it is unfair to compare because Carmina uses Horween while Meermin uses Shell Cordovan from Argentina. I have a pair of Chukka style boots from Carmina and I don't really see a $300.00 difference in the quality of the shoes. As stated in previous posts we won't know about the longevity of the shoes for a while but for now I am a believer. I actually would rather order 2 pairs of Meermin shell cordovan than 1 pair of Carmina, mostly because I personally like the Meermin last better. And I think the customer service of Meermin far exceeds that of Carmina.

Jakezero

Reaction score
The more pictures I see, the less I can wait for my own franken-dovers. Let this cursed season called summer end and bring me glorious fall!

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree to the extent that as the comparison relates to shell cordovan it is unfair to compare because Carmina uses Horween while Meermin uses Shell Cordovan from Argentina. I have a pair of Chukka style boots from Carmina and I don't really see a $300.00 difference in the quality of the shoes. As stated in previous posts we won't know about the longevity of the shoes for a while but for now I am a believer. I actually would rather order 2 pairs of Meermin shell cordovan than 1 pair of Carmina, mostly because I personally like the Meermin last better. And I think the customer service of Meermin far exceeds that of Carmina.

Yeah, that's exactly why I said I believe they offer a better value. And if we move into Linea Maestro quality I don't think they're far away from Carmina (talking about calf).

HughJ

Reaction score

I am usually a size 10.5US and Jose reccomended me a 9.5UK based on my foot measurments of 10.8cm wide and 26.5cm long. I want to order some oxfords last: hiro, and bluchers last: ama, but I am worried that my feet will be too wide from the AMA. Anyone else in my size range have issues like this? 

My measurements are 10.8 cm and 27 cm. I fit the Hiro last UK 8.5 perfectly.  Don't know about AMA.

By the way, what does anyone think of their full Norvegesse?  I am about to pull trigger on MTO, so some feedback will be great.

My feet are about 27.5 cm by 10.8 cm and I wear a UK10. Pretty good fit overall.

The range of sizes for similarly sized feet to my own doesn't exactly instill confidence that I'd get my size correct via mail order. Can anyone else share their experience? I normally wear a 10 EE in North American sizing, and I'm looking at the 3 narrowest lasts. I was thinking a UK9.5 would be a safe bet, but I don't know anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics