• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW I own Vass and have inspected these in person.
I'm no expert and I'm just sharing my honest opinion.

If there are different ranges with this evolvingly new company, would one stand to reason that there are shoes (some of those pictured, maybe) that are of equal quality to Carmina?

Carmina doesn't do the best finishing I've seen, but the shoes are solid and you definitely get bang for your buck.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I walk down Claudio Coello st. everyday and I didn't notice the store - I should slap myself in the face.

Gotta go there... they look a whole lot better than my €170 Magnannis...

I sized down one full size from the UK portion of my EG 888 size.
I am usually a UK9.5-US10 in EG 888. On all the lasts which fit me I was an 8.5 in Meermin.

So wait, if I wear a 12/12.5E in EG what size should I ask RDiaz to pick these up for me in, 11? :)

FWIW I wear a 12 in Carmina and Magnanni.

Last edited:

sartbaeklv

Reaction score
Sounds too good to be true... but going back to the original post. Is this a diffusion line from Carmina?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1. FWIW I own Vass and have inspected these in person.
2. I'm no expert and I'm just sharing my honest opinion.

1. well done
2. that's why i said it. no offense.

blahgspot

Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting development in Spanish shoemaking. I do, however, get that foreboding sense that they will go the way of most good Spanish manufacturers in which they eschew any marketing and brand development, assume that it is not worth it to pursue a market outside of the neighborhoods of their brick-and-mortar stores, and blame it all on the "Crisi'" (the economic crisis) while drooling, nouveau-riche "pijos" spend 400€ on a ******, made-in-a-Chinese-sweatshop-in-Italy glued-together or blake-stitched Italian brand shoe at the Corte Inglés...

asturiano

Reaction score

As per my previous post, the fact that the only way to find out about them, despite googling them multiple times, is a Styleforum thread, emphasizes my point! Sad, considering that the incredible handmade traditions in Spain just can't seem to figure out the formula to survive. Ah, cultural complexes... sigh.
PS: Before I am lambasted by Spaniards, I regret to inform you that I am myself a Spaniard as well, and therefore am entitled to a healthy degree of cultural-self-hatred. Ahem.

Sounds like an interesting development in Spanish shoemaking. I do, however, get that foreboding sense that they will go the way of most good Spanish manufacturers in which they eschew any marketing and brand development, assume that it is not worth it to pursue a market outside of the neighborhoods of their brick-and-mortar stores, and blame it all on the "Crisi'" (the economic crisis) while drooling, nouveau-riche "pijos" spend 400€ on a ******, made-in-a-Chinese-sweatshop-in-Italy glued-together or blake-stitched Italian brand shoe at the Corte Inglés...

Well, if opening your first shop in Japan rather in your home market of Spain http://meermin.tumblr.com/post/14009066963/nuestra-tienda-meermin-en-aoyama-tokyo-meermin and being mentioned on specialized Japanese press (Last - Men's Ex) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.262463427136858.57966.253664761350058&type=1 is the typical marketing development for an spanish company, I can only say vivan los culytural complexes!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jermyn

Reaction score

So wait, if I wear a 12/12.5E in EG what size should I ask RDiaz to pick these up for me in, 11? :)
FWIW I wear a 12 in Carmina and Magnanni.

Should work perfectly. I will say that the limiting factor on most shoes for me is width.
I usually have no problems with my toes. Meermin lasts are quite wide at the ball of the foot but then taper nicely.
If length is a limiting factor for you then maybe my 'technique` won´t work so well.

Sounds like a son or cousin went into biz for themselves after working at Carmina. Could be wrong, tho.

I think that the Albaladejo family owns Carmina, Yanko and Meermin.
Different branches of the family own the different brands but some family members may have provided capital and training for eachothers brands.

As per my previous post, the fact that the only way to find out about them, despite googling them multiple times, is a Styleforum thread, emphasizes my point! Sad, considering that the incredible handmade traditions in Spain just can't seem to figure out the formula to survive. Ah, cultural complexes... sigh.
PS: Before I am lambasted by Spaniards, I regret to inform you that I am myself a Spaniard as well, and therefore am entitled to a healthy degree of cultural-self-hatred. Ahem.

I´m half English, half-Spanish. I have to say that you see this in England as well.
I work 5 minutes walk from Jermyn St, I´ve seen very few passable shoes and lots of expensive trash at my office.
In both cases, it is the Japanese who keep the home-grown brands afloat.

There is a girl working at Edward Green on Jermyn St who scrapes by in English and is there solely to serve Japanese customers.
Meermin opened boutiques in Japan and are featured in Men´s Ex (as well as having a copy lying around in the Madrid store).

Galix

Reaction score

There is a girl working at Edward Green on Jermyn St who scrapes by in English and is there solely to serve Japanese customers.
Meermin opened boutiques in Japan and are featured in Men´s Ex (as well as having a copy lying around in the Madrid store).

Same at the Carmina boutique in Barcelona. One of the SA is Japanese and although she serves everyone, it looks like she's there because most of their clients are Japanese.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoes look absolutely great! it's good to know that there are more choices out there that don't start near the $1000 mark. hopefully they'll branch to the U.S. in the near future

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
At least you see a few passable ones... I work at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and never see ANY nice shoes. At all. Not even the leading representatives, they're all wearing cheap looking beefroll loafers with their bespoke suits. Makes you wonder why do we need Carmina, Meermin or even Yanko stores around here...

Last edited:

blahgspot

Reaction score

Well, if opening your first shop in Japan rather in your home market of Spain http://meermin.tumblr.com/post/14009066963/nuestra-tienda-meermin-en-aoyama-tokyo-meermin and being mentioned on specialized Japanese press (Last - Men's Ex) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.262463427136858.57966.253664761350058&type=1 is the typical marketing development for an spanish company, I can only say vivan los culytural complexes!

Bizarre yet logical explanation... I must stop demanding that people be logical in their purchasing, and rather sit atop the promontory like a dandy plopped into a Breugel painting, while the masses eat each other... :spew:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads