• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iloveshoes19009

Reaction score
Can anyone compare hiro last to Carmina or c&j lasts

Carmina lasts- forest, oscar, Simpson, sinu
C&j- any last, i have tried on a bunch

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Custom boot event live now on the website for those who may have missed it. IMO one of the best values for creating a boot to your specific liking.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Custom boot event live now on the website for those who may have missed it. IMO one of the best values for creating a boot to your specific liking.
Lately, I’ve used their events to stock up on my shearling requirements. It’s too bad they only offer HOK on one boot these past few events though. I would order multiple pairs if they offered more HOK options. Apparently, the ROD is a big hit, because they feature it quite a bit. You are right though, great opportunity to get a custom boot made for cheap. Lots of people complain about Meermin boots, but to me those people are simply clueless. If Meermin continues to make them so cheap, the value proposition they offer is silly good.

BB_Adept

Reaction score
Excuse me for not reading through all of the 1391 pages, but could anyone summarize how Meermin shoes hold up in comparison to a more expensive brand like Carmina e.g.?
I am particularly interested in a pair of boots (Cordovan) and maybe some loafers/wholecut brogues.
Thanks!

SirThopas

Reaction score
Lately, I’ve used their events to stock up on my shearling requirements. It’s too bad they only offer HOK on one boot these past few events though. I would order multiple pairs if they offered more HOK options. Apparently, the ROD is a big hit, because they feature it quite a bit. You are right though, great opportunity to get a custom boot made for cheap. Lots of people complain about Meermin boots, but to me those people are simply clueless. If Meermin continues to make them so cheap, the value proposition they offer is silly good.

When you buy Meermin shearling-lined boots, do you size up or take your normal size? I’ve never owned a shearling-lined boot and have wondered if the lining has any implications for what size to order.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you buy Meermin shearling-lined boots, do you size up or take your normal size? I’ve never owned a shearling-lined boot and have wondered if the lining has any implications for what size to order.
Once upon a time sizing up was not required for me. I’ve got several pairs in shearling on Hiro and never adjusted sizing. Those are older pairs, and completely broken in/stretched out etc.. Somewhere around, 2019/20 I got a pair on the Hiro, and found that I needed to start sizing up half a size to compensate. It was then I began to also have an issue with a slight bunion. Now, I always go up a half, and only order their widest last HOK due to my bunion issue. Though my past experience was no size adjustment required, now since I have that bunion issue, I’d say maybe I’m not a good representative to ask.

Last edited:

SirThopas

Reaction score
Once upon a time sizing up was not required for me. I’ve got several pairs in shearling on Hiro and never adjusted sizing. Those are older pairs, and completely broken in/stretched out etc.. Somewhere around, 2019/20 I got a pair on the Hiro, and found that I needed to start sizing up half a size to compensate. It was then I began to also have an issue with a slight bunion issue. Now, I always go up a half, and only order their widest last HOK due to my bunion issue. Though my past experience was no size adjustment required, now since I have that bunion issue, I’d say maybe I’m not a good representative to ask.

Well, I appreciate your taking the time to respond so fully!

ACLC

Reaction score
Excuse me for not reading through all of the 1391 pages, but could anyone summarize how Meermin shoes hold up in comparison to a more expensive brand like Carmina e.g.?
I am particularly interested in a pair of boots (Cordovan) and maybe some loafers/wholecut brogues.
Thanks!
Do not buy their heritage cordovan

KarlHungus

Reaction score
One needs to go in with realistic expectations, for sure. You cannot expect to get similar quality finishes or hide selection as shoes 2-3x the price, but for what they offer I agree the price point and overall value is very compelling.
Thanks!
Following on the above, durability of the shoes should be similar as to other Goodyear welted shoes at higher price points. Do be mindful that costs may be saved on certain materials / greater mechanization of processes to deliver the lower price point. Usually this means a wider variability in the quality of finishing and attention to detail, which may impact aesthetic but shouldn't impact longevity, barring structural issues.

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Tempted to order a jumper boot in museum shell from rocada in either navy or green ... How much would I be saving? (Total comes to $455 when I spec it up)

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Tempted to order a jumper boot in museum shell from rocada in either navy or green ... How much would I be saving? (Total comes to $455 when I spec it up)
I don't know of shell boots for anywhere under $700 from other makers, and with recent price increases, all those using Horween shell are closer to $900

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads