• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score
It looks like the heritage shell they use. Mine looks close to the same. I will only order the Horween from them from now on.

ACLC

Reaction score
It looks like the heritage shell they use. Mine looks close to the same. I will only order the Horween from them from now on.

I’m very disappointed with these boots. The shell is very rough and there are scratches everywhere. I wasn’t expecting the best shell but these Are even poorer quality than I expected. Will not buy anymore shell from Meermin.

St1X

Reaction score
7FFE154D-C770-4C22-91AA-B6C58C684C38.jpeg

After wearing my shell boots a few times I took my brush to clean them and medium buffing removed some of the pigment from the shell

ACLC

Reaction score
View attachment 1863357
After wearing my shell boots a few times I took my brush to clean them and medium buffing removed some of the pigment from the shell
I just brushed them lightly with a horse hair brush straight out of the box and can already see some discoloring similar to yours. Unbelievably poor quality.

ACLC

Reaction score
My new burgundy wholecut from the black Friday sales, after a treatment of Renovateur, saphir creme and mirror wax polish. Quality is decent, a few blemishes on the uppers but all in all pretty good value for money.
2236977A-2200-483F-B6A7-1F287885336D.jpeg

9E9FE92E-B622-4EE0-A2FF-F75B3287BA3D.jpeg

ACLC

Reaction score
These are mine black heritage cordovan chlesea boots
View attachment 1865043 View attachment 1865044 View attachment 1865045 View attachment 1865046
And after a bit of Saphir’s cordovan creme
View attachment 1865047
View attachment 1865043 View attachment 1865044 View attachment 1865045 View attachment 1865046
View attachment 1865047
Next time i will only buy Horween shell

Think we all got sold reject cordovan stock :mad:

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Think we all got sold reject cordovan stock :mad:
Typical meermin lol, don't even buy horween shell from them, the clicking is pretty bad, they don't click around the flap of the shell, aka the really thin section, if it gets on the vamp it will crease abnormal. My personal experience.

ACLC

Reaction score
View attachment 1865047

This is terrible! I would be very interested to see if the heritage cordovan shoes that Meermin sell at their physical stores are of the same quality, or if it's only the online sales where they try to flog these reject shoes.

Blastwice

Reaction score
What you're seeing here is (1) budget clicking and (2) less-refined shell finishing.

Ask yourself where Meermin needs to cut to get you such a cheap shell shoe? The finishing and making is a factory process that Meermin has likely made very efficient (cheap) over time, so to offer shell, they probably buy shell in bulk from their producer and click it more liberally than a more expensive maker might (1) and then the shell itself is not Horween, so of course, you cannot expect Horween finishing (2).

For perspective, $350 probably wouldn't even cover the price of the raw shells if you were going with Horween.

ACLC

Reaction score
What you're seeing here is (1) budget clicking and (2) less-refined shell finishing.

Ask yourself where Meermin needs to cut to get you such a cheap shell shoe? The finishing and making is a factory process that Meermin has likely made very efficient (cheap) over time, so to offer shell, they probably buy shell in bulk from their producer and click it more liberally than a more expensive maker might (1) and then the shell itself is not Horween, so of course, you cannot expect Horween finishing (2).

For perspective, $350 probably wouldn't even cover the price of the raw shells if you were going with Horween.

I think it's worse than "less refined finishing" to be honest. As I mentioned in my previous post, I highly doubt you will be finding these shoes on the shelves in the physical stores as they are clearly defective/rejects.

If they can't make acceptable Shell shoes at the prices they are selling, then they probably shouldn't be offering them.

MarkCorrigan

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying these (rust jumper boot with HOK last) but I'm unsure about sizing. I messaged Meermin about recommended sizing and they got back to me with this chart for their HOK last

1670957612696.png

My measurements are
length: 270mm
width: 97mm
girth: 236mm

Would UK8 be the best sizing for me? I'm a complete noob when it comes to boots so not sure if the boot's 248mm girth would be too large for my foot and cause pinching or something. Alternatively, would a different last be more appropriate for my foot? Any help would be appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads