• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thatguy92

Reaction score
I finally received shipping info for my boots. These boots are from the Jan 20th preorder. View attachment 1806490
Mine came in and we’re surprisingly good quality. Surprisingly, the first box only included one boot. I had to message them for them to send me the other. Something about larger sizes not fitting in one box? Odd but both came and were better quality than I expected (although not perfect)

Ageless

Reaction score
Hkw did you size hok last? I also ordered uk7.5 but as time goes i was getting nervous and sent them message to change to uk8.
I previously purchased some Meermins on their sale so I'm pretty dialed into the 7.5 UK last. The boots fit great, they are a lot longer than 7.5 UK on the Hiro. Brannock 8.5C.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Anyone else receive boots from the custom boot event? Let's see 'em --

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else receive boots from the custom boot event? Let's see 'em --
I received a pair that I ordered, with an eye toward winter, I had them shearling lined. They were supposed to be Natural CXL, unfortunately they aren’t my idea of natural. They are fine other than that though.
4AD8E91D-FB8E-40F9-8AE4-DE07E0453475.jpeg

5ED8795D-C420-4E6F-A89A-E6348916BFEB.jpeg

KarlHungus

Reaction score
I received a pair that I ordered, with an eye toward winter, I had them shearling lined. They were supposed to be Natural CXL, unfortunately they aren’t my idea of natural. They are fine other than that though.
View attachment 1810155

View attachment 1810156
These look great. The most recent batches of natty CXL I've seen have looked like this -- frankly I like it better than some of the paler versions I've seen. They'll age well

GuyLab

Reaction score
View attachment 1810155

View attachment 1810156
They look amazing, really interested how the cxl clicking turns out as Meermin don't run this leather often. I commissioned a custom pair in brown cxl about a month ago, and although I know grain break is common, I'm hoping to win the lottery.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look great. The most recent batches of natty CXL I've seen have looked like this -- frankly I like it better than some of the paler versions I've seen. They'll age well
They do look good, but again pale should be the defining characteristic of natural. Those of us that covet natural, do so because of its beauty as it patina’s. Getting a natural that is already brown all but eliminates that possibility, and that reality my friend, finds me disgruntled.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look amazing, really interested how the cxl clicking turns out as Meermin don't run this leather often. I commissioned a custom pair in brown cxl about a month ago, and although I know grain break is common, I'm hoping to win the lottery.
These turned out pretty well, the loose grain shows up in the typical places, (the boot shaft) but it’s not bad. As you mentioned, that is a common trait found in CXL, and one I personally think adds to its character. I would definitely classify these as brown CXL, not natural.

Last edited:

GuyLab

Reaction score
These turned out pretty well, the loose grain shows up in the typical places, (the boot shaft) but it’s not bad. As you mentioned, that is a common trait found in CXL, and one I personally think adds to its character. I would definitely classify these as brown CXL, not natural.
Yeah, having it on the shaft isn't something that would bother me. I just don't want the vamp of only one boot to have heavy grain break and the other to have nothing.
Although these are indeed considerably darker than most natural cxl you see, I think brown cxl is a lot darker

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, having it on the shaft isn't something that would bother me. I just don't want the vamp of only one boot to have heavy grain break and the other to have nothing.
Although these are indeed considerably darker than most natural cxl you see, I think brown cxl is a lot darker
I must say you are correct, that there are brown CXL much darker than this. I just have to say, I know that we are living in a post truth world nowadays. But, the idea of this being accepted as what represents natural, just means words don’t mean what we thought they meant. Of course the fact people are willing to accept it as natural, suggests at this point I’m……..
21739FC2-2B10-4C2B-AEC1-5DE1DDB7F001.gif

Peter_QK

Reaction score
I just recieved unlined chukka boots in rod last uk8. It fits perfectly. Wish the last was a bit wider but its not troubling me as uppers unlined. Just wondering where rod last sits in terms of width amongst all their lasts. Is hok last about the same as rod but slightly roomier in toebox??

GuyLab

Reaction score
I just recieved unlined chukka boots in rod last uk8. It fits perfectly. Wish the last was a bit wider but its not troubling me as uppers unlined. Just wondering where rod last sits in terms of width amongst all their lasts. Is hok last about the same as rod but slightly roomier in toebox??
ROD is the ultraflex version of the HOK last, I reckon it is more or less the same measurements, with the notable difference being that ROD is adjusted to include the ultraflex foam insole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads