• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iva80

Reaction score
I typically wear cashmere socks with my shearling boots, which are very thick. So, I sized up a half. This is my third pair of shearlings on the HOK last, and I went 1/2 up on them all. The fit is spot in on all of them for me, YMMV.

One more question.

Hok last fits me ok-ish. Perfect for the left foot, but for my right foot (my toes are thicker, normal otherwise), I feel some pinch at the big toe or the penultimate toes. The pinch depends on the time of the day, but definitely the fit is not as comfortable as the left foot.

I am size 7.5 and was thinking to go size 8 with shearling. 8uk without fur would be probably too big (especially for the left foot). The question is, does shearling take up some space or 8uk without fur feels the same as a 8uk with fur?
I am hoping that fur takes up some space and with some thicker socks I can have both legs feel comfortable without heel slip.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more question.

Hok last fits me ok-ish. Perfect for the left foot, but for my right foot (my toes are thicker, normal otherwise), I feel some pinch at the big toe or the penultimate toes. The pinch depends on the time of the day, but definitely the fit is not as comfortable as the left foot.

I am size 7.5 and was thinking to go size 8 with shearling. 8uk without fur would be probably too big (especially for the left foot). The question is, does shearling take up some space or 8uk without fur feels the same as a 8uk with fur?
I am hoping that fur takes up some space and with some thicker socks I can have both legs feel comfortable without heel slip.
We’ll I am by no means an expert on fit. I can’t really say what would work for you honestly. For me, I need to size up because I want to wear thick socks. Your other foot complicates things, so I see your dilemma, it’s a tough call.

joman8390

Reaction score
We’ll I am by no means an expert on fit. I can’t really say what would work for you honestly. For me, I need to size up because I want to wear thick socks. Your other foot complicates things, so I see your dilemma, it’s a tough call.
If you were to wear regular socks would you say the fit between the regular and shearling lined Hok in the same size is the same like Meermin claims?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were to wear regular socks would you say the fit between the regular and shearling lined Hok in the same size is the same like Meermin claims?
My past experience says largely yes, their claim is correct. I’ve got 9 pairs of their shearling boots. 4 of them are on HOK, and the remaining 5 are on Hiro. On the Hiro I’ve always ordered my normal UK8.5 with shearling. The Hiro all fit perfectly, except for 1 pair I ordered on Hiro in 2019, I had to send them back and get a UK9. I no longer order Hiro last since they introduced HOK, because the HOK is such an ideal last for my foot. Additionally, I discovered cashmere winter socks in 19, and only wear cashmere socks with shearling. For me on the HOK, which is too big in UK8.5, I choose UK8.5 when ordering shearling on HOK. But, remember I’m just a guy on the internet, it’s 99.99.9% unlikely your feet are anything like mine.

jj02138

Reaction score
For those more knowledgeable than I am, are these protrusions normal manufacturing tolerances? I don't know much about how shoes are constructed, but assume the toe reinforcement is too large for the shoe and is sticking out. And is this fixable?

IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg

St1X

Reaction score
That's the toe cap. It's supposed to be stiff.
Are those shoes unlined inside? Have they looked like this out of the box?

jj02138

Reaction score
That's the toe cap. It's supposed to be stiff.
Are those shoes unlined inside? Have they looked like this out of the box?
It is certainly stiff as you'd expect, but I've never had it protrude so obviously, even on the same model of shoes. These are lined, model 101596. They're new, pictures came from before I tried them on, but they look the same after...

Sinbios

Reaction score
For those more knowledgeable than I am, are these protrusions normal manufacturing tolerances? I don't know much about how shoes are constructed, but assume the toe reinforcement is too large for the shoe and is sticking out. And is this fixable?

View attachment 1723913 View attachment 1723914
It should not stick out that much, that means the stiffener was not molded to the last tightly. It's not really fixable; even if you were Meermin and had the original last, you'd have to take the whole shoe apart, apply acetone to the celastic or heat to the thermoplastic to make it moldable again, re-last it, re-welt it, and resole it.

Yet another example of IMO Meermin's biggest problem, which is the use of very hard and stiff plastic toe and heel counters. Is it really worth the savings in materials? Even a thinner, softer celastic would be better than the hard shell that they use now.

I would ask for a refund.

Last edited:

test32323

Reaction score
Anyone know if the MON last is similar fit as the ROD last? Ie TTS ?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s more than 14” of snow in the background on my deck. These waxy commander shearling’s are up for it though.
9810B361-EF4D-458A-83F1-99EC5F5EA230.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads