• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirThopas

Reaction score
I ordered some navy museum shell boots in October when Meermin were running an MTO. Any ideas when they might be ready?

Also, these are my first Meermin purchase. I know they have a rep for being hard to break in, but is this less true with the Ultraflex system?

cop1211

Reaction score
I bought 4 pairs with the ultra flex, and they were comfortable out of the box. Very little break in.

SirThopas

Reaction score
I bought 4 pairs with the ultra flex, and they were comfortable out of the box. Very little break in.
That's good to know. Do you happen to know what the heel stiffeners are made of? I've read that Meermin use thermoplastic.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good to know. Do you happen to know what the heel stiffeners are made of? I've read that Meermin use thermoplastic.
All meermins except the field boots have thermoplastic heel counters

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So these have a leather (or leatherboard?) heel stiffener? https://eu.meermin.com/collections/mens-boots/products/101523-cognac-utah-e

How did you get this information?

I asked Meermin recently via email but did not get a reply.
Meermin has always used thermoplastic heel counters in all their footwear. That's their build. The field boot was a big deal and they themselves even advertised it as their first leather heel counter. If the page was still up I'd link it to you, but it's long gone. The new Norvegese MTO event may be a similar build? The cut in half image doesn't show the counter. They use their own proprietary thermoplastic counters and toe puffs.

Just to clarify it was this event: https://milled.com/meermin-shoes/norvegese-field-boot-custom-event-3-days-only-V4Ptgy3TNbq39vz-
There was another page that had the bisection of the interior components showing their first ever all leather construction boot. The page got taken down after the Ostmo controversy.

Last edited:

Peter_QK

Reaction score
Meermin has always used thermoplastic heel counters in all their footwear. That's their build. The field boot was a big deal and they themselves even advertised it as their first leather heel counter. If the page was still up I'd link it to you, but it's long gone. The new Norvegese MTO event may be a similar build? The cut in half image doesn't show the counter. They use their own proprietary thermoplastic counters and toe puffs.

Just to clarify it was this event: https://milled.com/meermin-shoes/norvegese-field-boot-custom-event-3-days-only-V4Ptgy3TNbq39vz-
There was another page that had the bisection of the interior components showing their first ever all leather construction boot. The page got taken down after the Ostmo controversy.
I just checked from instagram, ostmo price is going over the roof. Not sure if the price was increased so iron boots can make their ostmo collab boots with decent markup. Its near bespoke price

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah all true, but I believe the upcoming norvagese MTO has a steel shank.

test32323

Reaction score

I would tread careful with the new Norvegese MTO with double row stitching. My $700 dollar shell order from the field boot MTO event had terrible, terrible finishing, most maker would consider as seconds. Wobbly sole stitching, cordovan dents and discoloration all over the place, screwed up fudging on 1 side and no fudging on the other, bad clicking -super thick shell on 1 side of shaft, and super thin on the other (2mm vs 1mm, literally double), etc.

I won't be surprised if the the two row stitching go over each other and Meermin CS just meh it. I've seen even Viberg's QC have this defect. With Meermin it's like a lottery, i'm sure 90% of orders will looks like the picture. I'll probably order more Meermin in the future, because HOK last is magically for my feet.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would tread careful with the new Norvegese MTO with double row stitching. My $700 dollar shell order from the field boot MTO event had terrible, terrible finishing, most maker would consider as seconds. Wobbly sole stitching, cordovan dents and discoloration all over the place, screwed up fudging on 1 side and no fudging on the other, bad clicking -super thick shell on 1 side of shaft, and super thin on the other (2mm vs 1mm, literally double), etc.

I won't be surprised if the the two row stitching go over each other and Meermin CS just meh it. I've seen even Viberg's QC have this defect. With Meermin it's like a lottery, i'm sure 90% of orders will looks like the picture. I'll probably order more Meermin in the future, because HOK last is magically for my feet.
True, their double is definitely a lottery. I’m tempted, but the only pair I ever got from them a few years back was not good.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah all true, but I believe the upcoming norvagese MTO has a steel shank.
I think the field boot shank was steel too? I don't even remember. I wish I had the diagram saved, I never thought the whole page would be pulled.

I just checked from instagram, ostmo price is going over the roof. Not sure if the price was increased so iron boots can make their ostmo collab boots with decent markup. Its near bespoke price
Yeah everyone knew a price hike was coming, but I certainly wasn't ready for how much. I like Lars a lot, but I just can't swing 1500+ for a pair of his boots. I may cave and do the IB collab at some point, but even that's more than I'd like it to be.

Oh I wasn't going to go in on the next preorder. I would hope over time Meermin would get the build down better. I think waiting a few runs and seeing if things get progressively better is the move.

test32323

Reaction score
Yeah everyone knew a price hike was coming, but I certainly wasn't ready for how much. I like Lars a lot, but I just can't swing 1500+ for a pair of his boots. I may cave and do the IB collab at some point, but even that's more than I'd like it to be.

IB did a really good job expanding, their domestic market is non existent/dead, most people would just buy the cheaper stuff that looks like fake IR, Alden etc. The richer guys go straight for the real aldens, the real mccoy, rolling dub, julian etc. Their domestic offering on taobao is alot cheaper too, roughly 2000RMB which is 310USD.

IB x Ostmo at 1000USD is kind of ridiculous TBH, just Ostmo pattern on a 310USD shoe, not worth the 700USD upcharge IMO.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IB did a really good job expanding, their domestic market is non existent/dead, most people would just buy the cheaper stuff that looks like fake IR, Alden etc. The richer guys go straight for the real aldens, the real mccoy, rolling dub, julian etc. Their domestic offering on taobao is alot cheaper too, roughly 2000RMB which is 310USD.

IB x Ostmo at 1000USD is kind of ridiculous TBH, just Ostmo pattern on a 310USD shoe, not worth the 700USD upcharge IMO.
Its difficult because IB is like 650 right now after the shipping price hike IIRC, so it's a 350$ upcharge for an Ostmo pattern and last

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads