• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a very smart approach, and it’s cool it’s available to you.

It’s an unfortunate reality and kinda funny that in a way internet sales are a blessing and a curse for Meermin, and the myriad companies like them. Because of great photography, folks get the impression they will get something as good as products that cost hundreds more. Then reality hits when they get the product in hand. The missing ingredient is self regulation of expectations, (based on what one has paid for a product), is paramount.

You can aso argue that this approach is bordering misleading the customer, unless being 100% transparant on whant to expect. For instance being very clear about that although they product look fantastic in their professional photograps, they are made using low cost products and labour ad corners are being cut by using plastic heel stiffeners for instance which might feel uncomfortale for some, and low grade quality control.

A few weeks ago I sent tem a message asking what kind of heel stiffeners are used nowadays in their shell boots and never got a reply....

Or: Not disclose this and expect a high return rate because of customers being disapointed. But then at least make the return process as easy as possible instead of discouraging it.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, you know, run an operation like Thursday Boots that manages to keep prices competitive, provide free returns and shipping, and maintain high customer service standards. All you Meermin apologists keep pretending like this is some kind of impossible fantasy when it's inevitably becoming the new standard of e-commerce.
You can aso argue that this approach is bordering misleading the customer, unless being 100% transparant on whant to expect. For instance being very clear about that although they product look fantastic in their professional photograps, they are made using low cost products and labour ad corners are being cut by using plastic heel stiffeners for instance which might feel uncomfortale for some, and low grade quality control.

A few weeks ago I sent tem a message asking what kind of heel stiffeners are used nowadays in their shell boots and never got a reply....

Or: Not disclose this and expect a high return rate because of customers being disapointed. But then at least make the return process as easy as possible instead of discouraging it.
Guys look, I say more power to you.
070F9054-2B51-417A-BA66-4D44C27F0D0C.gif

Kmeodso

Reaction score
Kinda strange to have a storm welt on a Chelsea boot isn't it?
No, it is perfect for fall and winter with rain and snow, or to go for a walk. Chelsea boots with commando-style soles are a different style. Several English shoemakers offer these sturdier Chelsea boots.

I know its many months old reply but im slowly catching up on the pages while sipping some tea and this caught my eye.

I love my 101050 - RUST WAXY COMMANDER Chelsea boots. The waxed leather together with the commando sole and storm welt have made them my daily drivers now here in the snowy and icy Sweden. They have handled rain perfectly during the autumn and so far they have handled the snow (2 weeks of snow so far) also perfectly. The commando sole is not slipping when walking on snow or ice so I'm happy with that.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Do y’all think this bit of separation is acceptable or could it be problematic long term? Also back stitching has 2 holes somewhat prominent and one of them seems to have punctured through the inside of the shoe. If these are all superficial then I don’t care but I wonder if they’ll cause integral issues down the line

Attachments

• 81BBAFB5-B23B-4333-9944-AA03D4F17F3F.jpeg
    81BBAFB5-B23B-4333-9944-AA03D4F17F3F.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 29C62008-B9F6-4267-B0A6-D09C88EE352C.jpeg
    29C62008-B9F6-4267-B0A6-D09C88EE352C.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 3247081A-4C0E-4DEB-86A1-18AB70257DD9.jpeg
    3247081A-4C0E-4DEB-86A1-18AB70257DD9.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 300

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a QC issue after all. The nails in one heel are loose (don't know if they came like that or came loose after only one wear).

But to Meermin's credit, they replied in literally 5 minutes to my email and told me they'd reimburse me for the cost of having it fixed at a local cobbler.
View attachment 1712584
That shoe seems to come from the Roman Empire, lol.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do y’all think this bit of separation is acceptable or could it be problematic long term? Also back stitching has 2 holes somewhat prominent and one of them seems to have punctured through the inside of the shoe. If these are all superficial then I don’t care but I wonder if they’ll cause integral issues down the line
I wonder if you could loose your shoe heel.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, from the pic I do not know exactly whats the issue (a knife cut?), but in any case I will return them . I am sure they will not dispute your claim.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Seriously, from the pic I do not know exactly whats the issue (a knife cut?), but in any case I will return them . I am sure they will not dispute your claim.
its hard to get in a pic but yeah it looks as if the ball was separated from the heel, and the back looks to be defective with those 2 holes

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be a definite return for me.

Blastwice

Reaction score

Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the welt is missing or trimmed a lot at the back? That picture is unclear to me.

The holes are lasting holes and that's normal even in expensive shoes, but some makers can hide better than others.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the welt is missing or trimmed a lot at the back? That picture is unclear to me.

The welt doesn't go all the way around the heel on that shoe, it's what's sometimes referred to as a 270 degree welt. The back of the insole instead sits on a piece of leather called a rand that fills the space between the insole and heel stack. That picture just looks like they painted the rand after it's already attached to the insole so couldn't get the paint in all the way, instead of pre-painting it before attaching it. It's fine, it's not a cut and the heel's not going to detach.

The holes are lasting holes and that's normal even in expensive shoes, but some makers can hide better than others.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by lasting holes, they aren't that high up, they're at the bottom where the upper/lining attaches to the insole. Those holes look more like stitching mistakes to me.

Sinbios

Reaction score

I doubt the stitching hole has gone through the inside lining, the uppers stitching is done before the lining is attached to the uppers, and there's still the heel counter between them. The only way a hole would have gone through the whole shoe is if it was somehow made after the lining, heel counter, and uppers were already sandwiched together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics