• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Anyone know how the last compares from RON to JIM? I wear 9 in RON

MacGuffen

Reaction score
The ultimate winter boots! Waxy Commander with commando soles and shearling lining, from the recent MTO:

87133F15-4982-497F-880D-922527A434ED.jpeg

753B05E4-41FC-4F00-9172-2D28ECE46B77.jpeg

0E20DA0A-05E1-4B8C-825E-E2496C2CC874.jpeg

C023A5BD-8935-4550-B7CC-F34C5AC49BF5.jpeg

30A2A14A-3079-4BFB-8BE9-419AB04EDC49.jpeg

9010CC22-12D5-479C-95DF-94B4C1C6821C.jpeg

I really like how they sew the tongue in place medially to prevent it from sliding around. Haven't seen that before. I have no complaints QC-wise.

SEasternCry

Reaction score
Hi all, buying my first proper good year welted shoes. I'm looking to get a black cap-toe oxford and want to get my sizing as best as possible as I live down under.
  • Perpendicular (tip to heel) Foot Length: 272 mm;
    • This is how Meermin told me to measure the length: Diagonal (tip to heel): 273mm
    • 1638068008846.png
  • Girth = 263 mm
  • Width = 112 mm (with Ace Marks printed sizing tool it is between EE/EEE)
I did some googling to previous comments in this thread and saw a chart in this thread with the normal width Hiro as 274.9 mm in length with size 8.5 whereas size 8.0 was 270.6 mm. Are the Hiro G-width and normal Hiro lasts the same length? What's the best option?

Thanks very much for the help.

Last edited:

BlackYeti

Reaction score
More Meermin customer service fun:

Bought three pairs of cap-toe oxfords in different lasts with the intention of immediately returning two of them after try-on. Return was delivered to Meermin on Nov. 2. Meermin acknowledged the returns in multiple email exchanges and promised a refund but never actually sends the refund. Filed a Paypal dispute, and Paypal refunded my order.

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 8.21.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 9.25.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 8.24.59 PM.png

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Let me buy n products without any intention to keeping most of them" is atrocious behavior. It is not illegal but it is unethical. It is a shame that this is allowed at all. That somebody gets to shame the company after behaving like that? Ugh...

More Meermin customer service fun:

Bought three pairs of cap-toe oxfords in different lasts with the intention of immediately returning two of them after try-on. Return was delivered to Meermin on Nov. 2. Meermin acknowledged the returns in multiple email exchanges and promised a refund but never actually sends the refund. Filed a Paypal dispute, and Paypal refunded my order.

View attachment 1711554

View attachment 1711557

View attachment 1711559

Octobab

Reaction score
"Let me buy n products without any intention to keeping most of them" is atrocious behavior. It is not illegal but it is unethical. It is a shame that this is allowed at all. That somebody gets to shame the company after behaving like that? Ugh...

?

This is standard, if not encouraged behavior in the age of online shopping. The vast majority of brands have free returns for exactly this purpose. How else are you supposed to dial in size/last/etc if you don't happen to live in one of the two cities with a physical store?

BlackYeti

Reaction score

If it hurts their business Meermin could have simply disallowed returns. They allow it because it's good for business, especially since apparently they don't honor their return policy all the time. I have to pay return shipping and the original shipping is deducted from my refund. I even specifically wrote to them expressing my intention to buy a few and return all but one. They didn't have a problem with it.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.28.25 AM.png

Mirage-

Reaction score
why on earth in this thread there's always someone that has to go any length possible to excuse Meermin's poor customer service/practices and disparage customers?
He didn't order 30 pieces to make an influencer video and then return them all, he ordered 3 to find out the best size. And return shipping is paid by the consumer, too.

Last edited:

SEasternCry

Reaction score
why on earth in this thread there's always someone that has to go any length possible to excuse Meermin's poor customer service/practices and disparage customers?
He didn't order 30 pieces to make an influencer video and then return them all, he ordered 3 to find out the best size.

Sounds like there's a lot of flak on Meermin... as a first time enthusiast should I avoid? Not really sure about the alternatives for EE/EEE sizes at that price.

I'm looking for cap-toe oxfords as my first proper good year welted shoes. Any other options at around the same price range or more, but better customer support (as I need shipping internationally)?

Davakint

Reaction score
On a positive note for the Meermin CS.

I ordered a final sale item which was not eligible for returns or exchanges. Once I got the chelseas they were too small, after mailing them they still allowed me to exchange them for a larger size.

Shipping was on me, which sounded fair imo.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Sounds like there's a lot of flak on Meermin... as a first time enthusiast should I avoid? Not really sure about the alternatives for EE/EEE sizes at that price.

I'm looking for cap-toe oxfords as my first proper good year welted shoes. Any other options at around the same price range or more, but better customer support (as I need shipping internationally)?

Personally have not had problems with customer service as I haven't returned anything, but many that had to return stuff did. The whole return policy is a problem when there are defects in MTO/custom orders, which cannot be returned unless there is a defect, as they will argue with you forever according to various people, so my advice is not to order anything custom, at the very least, since QC can be very uneven. They also refuse (unless you threaten legal action, reportedly) to offer returns for factory seconds and other sale items, which as I've stated and showed several times (because meermin apologists here kept denying it) is actually illegal under EU terms (but not US).
Besides that, regarding the actual shoes, they are nice for the price but the plastic heel stiffener is a problem for me. Which is why I've looked around a lot, alternatives in this price range aren't too many of decent quality, but I'm very interested in Skolyx house brand. Prices are slightly higher, similar Spanish make, and uses leather board stiffeners. Have yet to try though.

BlackYeti

Reaction score

Check out Loding, Spier & MacKay, Loake, Barker, CNES, Berwick

The time I spent dealing with Meermin cs and the additional shipping charges I was assessed easily added $100 to the price of the shoe. Even if you know exactly what you're looking for, you may get a defective pair that forces you to deal with their cs.

See my earlier post here about a pair of suede jodhpurs.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
I agree @Meermin 's Cs is pretty bad, refuse to admit major cosmetic defects and bad clicking on expensive horween shell.

But this goes to show what the management of meermin is doing as well. The reason cs act like this is because they are trained to do so.

Always blame the top and not the bottom, Cs probably get paid min wage to reply to our emails. I kind of feel bad for them, constantly being an asshole to their customers.

MrFingers

Reaction score
I love how I came to this thread to look for advice but everyone is just ******** on the brand lmao.
Knocking on wood but I did have a very very small defect where there was some plastic in between the sole and the upper leather and they asked me to send it to them at their cost. While it was over there they also put toe plates (at my own cost ofc) and sent them back, again at their cost. Perhaps there’s just some really bad CS reps in the company

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics