• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why they don't seem to offer Shinki anymore?
They had shinki during the custom boot event that just happened didn't they? The current offerings are likely what they still have a lot of left over from the event.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Any feedback on what is the quality of finishing and general quality of the shell on these would be like? This seems to be shell from Horween unlike the earlier one which was cheaper at 430 USD. This one is 600 USD.

Also- some examples which I have seen on Reddit have had quite horrible finishing on welt which is definitely not expected at this price point. Makes me hesitant to take a gamble on these though I have been lusting over the website pics.
I posted some photos earlier of the Horween boots. The finishing was fine, on par with Meermin with an uneven welt and some loose stitching here and there. Nothing of functional consequence. You're saving a couple of hundred bucks on Horween shell by going the Meermin route, so you really have to ask yourself whether the savings or finishing matters more.

zurich64

Reaction score
An interesting Shell boot on offer today!
BURGUNDY INCA SHELL CORDOVAN
snip_20211103181541.png

Mirage-

Reaction score
That's a shame really. It's the main reason for me stop wearing Meermin. Wonder why they stick to this, would it be such a cost increase to change to leatherboard for instance?
I bought a pair a few months ago, a very nice willow grain ST derby. Same exact problem as you: the heel stiffener is killing my feet each time I wear them. I guess I won't be buying more if that doesn't go away.

Ofc, problem is where else to buy decent quality shoes at this price point, in EU, now...

basu13

Reaction score
There is a whole mix of shells in this MTO. Horween, Italian, and Heritage (cheapest option). I have now been using their heritage shell boots 1-2 times a week for the past few months and the quality is good. Finishing on my boots is very good. Compared to Horween shells that I have from AE, I don't see much difference. The heritage is a bit thinner than horween.

I am tempted to get in on the current MTO which is shell cordovan in the ROD last. I do not have any other Meermins so the sizing scale is new for me. I wear a Trickers Stow in 8.5 UK which is a roomy fit (not a very snug fit) - I assume I can wear 8UK also with a snugger fit.

My US Brannock size is 9E/ EE US, since my foot width is on the wider size.

Can members provide some guidance on what could be my ideal size in ROD last? What are the sizings you wear? Have probably asked this earlier, but wanted to reconfirm specifically for the shell boots in the Rod last.

Also - are the heels on your boots stiff like several members are mentioned?

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am tempted to get in on the current MTO which is shell cordovan in the ROD last. I do not have any other Meermins so the sizing scale is new for me. I wear a Trickers Stow in 8.5 UK which is a roomy fit (not a very snug fit) - I assume I can wear 8UK also with a snugger fit.

My US Brannock size is 9E/ EE US, since my foot width is on the wider size.

Can members provide some guidance on what could be my ideal size in ROD last? What are the sizings you wear? Have probably asked this earlier, but wanted to reconfirm specifically for the shell boots in the Rod last.

Also - are the heels on your boots stiff like several members are mentioned?
Sure I’ll pass along my experience with the ROD last, but the only experience I have is with the ROD boot.

I am also. 9E/EE, and I find the UK8 to be a very good fit. There is a caveat however, the ROD last is only used with their Ultraflex system. What that means is there is a very thick removable insole in the boot. When the insole is inserted, UK8 is too small for my widish foot. So, I remove the insole; when the insole is removed, it reveals the hardware used to hold the heel in place. I got leather heel pads installed to cover that area, and the fit is almost perfect. With those heel pads installed, I don’t have to worry about the metal hardware irritating my heel. I do have a pair coming in UK8.5, I am thinking the half size up will facilitate keeping the inserts installed. At least that’s what I hope will happen, haven’t received them yet, so I can’t say for sure.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Another example of horrible Meermin consistency and customer service:

Wanted to try a pair of their suede Jodhpurs. Ordered two sizes. Despite carrying the same SKU, the two boots I received are in different color suedes of different texture (one nappier than the other). The linings are in different colors. The boots are cut differently, with different relative length tongues and different ankle widths. One pair came in visibly used, with fading at the heel and ankles and paint chipping from the welt. The other has an incorrectly stitched sole, with the stitch running into a divot rather than along its edge, and sloppily glued heel.

When I requested returning the lighter brown boots, I was informed that the original shipping charges would not be reimbursed and I would have to pay return shipping as the difference in upper color was due to the “slight, natural variation” between leathers and problems with my computer monitor. How fun.

IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 4.00.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 3.59.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 10.29.28 PM.png

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Another example of horrible Meermin consistency and customer service:

Wanted to try a pair of their suede Jodhpurs. Ordered two sizes. Despite carrying the same SKU, the two boots I received are in different color suedes of different texture (one nappier than the other). The linings are in different colors. The boots are cut differently, with different relative length tongues and different ankle widths. One pair came in visibly used, with fading at the heel and ankles and paint chipping from the welt. The other has an incorrectly stitched sole, with the stitch running into a divot rather than along its edge, and sloppily glued heel.

When I requested returning the lighter brown boots, I was informed that the original shipping charges would not be reimbursed and I would have to pay return shipping as the difference in upper color was due to the “slight, natural variation” between leathers and problems with my computer monitor. How fun.

View attachment 1702320 View attachment 1702321
View attachment 1702322 View attachment 1702323
View attachment 1702324 View attachment 1702325
View attachment 1702332

View attachment 1702327

View attachment 1702326

View attachment 1702340

That's tough and there is definitely a stark difference in colour. It's incidents like this which dissuaded me from putting my money into the Meermin MTO. Put the same money into the Grant Stone Black Friday sale instead !

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's tough and there is definitely a stark difference in colour. It's incidents like this which dissuaded me from putting my money into the Meermin MTO. Put the same money into the Grant Stone Black Friday sale instead !
Same. I've had decent experiences with Meermin before, and their latest MTO's look fantastic (especially caper green waxed kudu) but I decided to pass. One, I don't prefer how tight the lace closure is on their boots, and two, I don't want to risk getting a chelsea that's too big and won't stay on my weird foot. Three - I prefer not to wait until January for a non-returnable pair.

Reaction score
Got a question regarding the Hiro last's sizing.

I'm wearing UK7 in both C&J 341 and Carmina Robert Last.

Do I have to adjust the size in Hiro last? Thanks!

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
Today I sadly encountered the first usability related quality control issue with the new Meermin boots I bought a month ago. Unfortunately today the heel gluing of the commando sole of one of the boots failed just after a few wears and the heel is detached from the other side. I contacted Meermin about the issue and they responded that they suggest that I take the boot to the local cobbler and they will reimburse the amount the cobbler charges instead of sending them back to spain for service. So far I have been pretty satisfied with their quality but this kind of a defect is not something I would expect from a >$260 pair of boots...

What do you guys think, should I consider this as a satisfactory solution to this kind of a quality control issue?

Attachments

• 20211124_171204.jpg
    20211124_171204.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 99

VegasRebel

Reaction score
What do you guys think, should I consider this as a satisfactory solution to this kind of a quality control issue?

I had a similar issue with a pair of Thursday boots, which run about $199. Thursday just sent me a new pair of boots, and let me keep the old ones. That was unexpected, and I'd say probably the best possible resolution.

Reimbursing you for a cobbler to fix it is probably less annoying than dealing with shipping them back to Spain to apply some glue and then shipping the fixed boots back to you. At least for me, it's a pretty good solution (assuming there's no issues with reimbursement.) It's an issue that's unfortunate to see but, given that it happened, there's not much they could have done better I think?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I sadly encountered the first usability related quality control issue with the new Meermin boots I bought a month ago. Unfortunately today the heel gluing of the commando sole of one of the boots failed just after a few wears and the heel is detached from the other side. I contacted Meermin about the issue and they responded that they suggest that I take the boot to the local cobbler and they will reimburse the amount the cobbler charges instead of sending them back to spain for service. So far I have been pretty satisfied with their quality but this kind of a defect is not something I would expect from a >$260 pair of boots...

That's not an uncommon problem. Its a quick fix, a bit of barge cement or other shoeglue and it'll be fine. Its one of the most minor defects you could have. I would happily accept the offer from Meermin, my local guy would do it while I wait and probably charge 10-20 bucks depending on the mood he's in

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A good cobbler can make those better than new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads