• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
Thanks, that is helpful. Also, how is the break in process - is it generally more pliable than normal calf leather, or is it harder to break in than those?
Break-in is a bit harder than calf leather, but nothing serious. I used loose lacing for few days and had thicker socks, and now the boots have molded to my feet.

Atemporal

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
A quick question. Is Meermin Hiro 101189 similar to C&J 236 Connaught?
I read some posts mentioning that comparison in the forum but I found more comments about the similarity of Meermin Elton and Carmina Rain, for example.
Thanks.

joman8390

Reaction score
I have been wearing these boots twice a week, to go for a walk or to work, and all seems fine. I don't find the quality different from the AE-made Horween shells at present, but for longer-term we just have to wait.
After receiving these boots I applied a bit of Saphir renovatuer, then some cordovan cream from AE, and finally, wax polish all over to seal the seams around welt and shine the heel and toe cap. Since then it is a drop of renovatuer to clean and buff with a brush. And I have worn these in rain and saw no stains, water rolled off (likely due to my wax polish routine).

About size, from my own experience, it should be the same as Tricker's Stow. I find their HOK last a bit wider and more generous in fit for me, and these new shell boots in ROD last fit fine with the insoles, both with thin and mid-weight wool socks.
Will you please post some pics of what they look like now?

thanks!

zurich64

Reaction score
Will you please post some pics of what they look like now?

thanks!
Here is a pic, boots are next to a meetmin shiniki and AE horween for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_125949.jpg
    IMG_20210903_125949.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 239

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The green marbled shell, stitch down pair arrived. I’m very pleased with how the marbling with the green shell turned out.
C3CE56D8-FCC8-4F26-958B-8EB33EEB8D4C.jpeg

DBDC6DBF-DC7D-4291-B58B-47EA7179C6DE.jpeg

D46FD006-1A4F-4574-8E98-EE0E01CA7B56.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did they offer green marbled in this style ?
I ordered these on 1 April. It was a one time event where Meermin offered a custom make, in a variety of leather choices, utilizing the stitch down method. I picked up a couple of pairs, one in Havane hatch grain, and the other the marbled green shell.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More images of the Rocado marbled green shell. I’m very pleased with Meermins efforts on this shell pair, and my Havane hatch grain pair as well. HOK, is my foots favorite last, they feel great on foot.
763B44EB-C26D-4CD3-A53D-82AC063AF65A.jpeg

C5EE54EC-0B2A-4EF6-885B-DCB9D5B35D02.jpeg

3C50069C-2FEF-4211-91C3-03AD228F41C7.jpeg

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Which leather choice did you select?

horween bourbon shell.

Don't think it's low stock, because it was the first time they offered it.

Unlucky i'm guessing. I've seen other Field boot MTO on ebay from 2 month ago.

I heard back from Meermin today, saying it will ship next week. This after @Meermin told me they will shipped 1st week of august, then again at end of august, now it's gonna be mid September. :box:

Next thing you know, it's mid December, ready for Christmas.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
horween bourbon shell.
Don't think it's low stock, because it was the first time they offered it.
I suppose the stock question would best be answered by, how many pairs they’d already made by the time they got around to making your pair, not necessarily that this was the first time they offered the particular shell.

In any case, I agree that having to wait can be frustrating; unfortunately it’s an unavoidable reality of the MTO world. When you do get them they’re gonna be something special though, bourbon shell :thumbs-up:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads