• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
Burgundy heritage shell boots in natural light. These are very well made, and the shell absorbs polish. Had a bit of dry feel when arrived, but after a bit of cream and wax polish looking good!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_101456.jpg
    IMG_20210805_101456.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20210805_101517.jpg
    IMG_20210805_101517.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 235

TravisOne

Reaction score
I've received my unlined loafers from the seconds sale in 7.5, fit snug but nicely. Bought another pair of unlined chukka's, HOK last, same size, which I can only comfortably wear with the insoles replaced by a thinner pair. I'm thinking I should move to 8 next time.

I've inspected the loafers closely and for the life of me can't figure out why it's a seconds pair. There is one veeeeery minor scuff near the heel, but since it's suede that buffed right out.

archipel

Reaction score
I got my Meermin Shell seconds from the seconds sale. The shell and welt seems good. I guess why they are seconds is that the left shoe the top leather where the laces go is crooked.

3D4797BB-619E-4551-8C43-A2818D48369A.jpeg

The laces are also way too short. I have to tie them as tight as possible to even make a knot. I don’t have this problem with my other Meermin (calf) boots.

Edmund K

Reaction score
anyone has photos of the Waxy shell cordovan photos?? Wanna share your experience? Thanks!

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone has photos of the Waxy shell cordovan photos?? Wanna share your experience? Thanks!

I haven’t worn mine yet, I picked up the NST & the Cap-toe and am very pleased with both. I really wish that Caper green was available when I ordered. They came on the ROD last with their Ultraflex system. I wear a UK8.5 on all of their lasts I own, but I got feedback from many that the ROD last fits large so I went with a UK8. Unfortunately with the Ultraflex inserts they are too tight for my foot. Had I ordered my normal size, I believe they would have fit really well with the Ultraflex system. I do get a really good fit when I remove the Ultraflex inserts. The problem is the soles don’t have sock liners, so the heel hardware is visible and would ultimately irritate my heel if worn as they are. Once I install sock liners I’ll wear them quite a lot I think, they seem quite rugged and remind me of roughout suede.
1D1344B6-3372-4820-9804-DCC0881B2AF5.jpeg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a UK8.5 on all of their lasts I own, but I got feedback from many that the ROD last fits large so I went with a UK8.

My experience with the ROD last and ultraflex shoes is that I ordered my usual size (UK9) and found them to be very snug when they first arrived. I was actually a bit worried that I should have gone 0.5 of a size up, to UK9.5.

However, after just 1-2 wears, the ultraflex innersole shaped to my foot and the shoes softened up and they became an excellent fit. If I'd ordered half-a-size larger, they'd be much too large.

So my advice - based, of course, on my own personal experience and bearing in mind that all our feet are different - is to take the same size on the ROD last as you usually take.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got pictures of the Horween Havane Hatch Grain Chukka Boots? Never had hatch grain before

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with the ROD last and ultraflex shoes is that I ordered my usual size (UK9) and found them to be very snug when they first arrived. I was actually a bit worried that I should have gone 0.5 of a size up, to UK9.5.

However, after just 1-2 wears, the ultraflex innersole shaped to my foot and the shoes softened up and they became an excellent fit. If I'd ordered half-a-size larger, they'd be much too large.

So my advice - based, of course, on my own personal experience and bearing in mind that all our feet are different - is to take the same size on the ROD last as you usually take.
I agree, I should have taken my normal UK8.5.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got pictures of the Horween Havane Hatch Grain Chukka Boots? Never had hatch grain before
No chukka’s, but I did pick up their stitch down plain toe, in Havane hatch grain. Beautiful leather!
59FCE2BB-1614-47ED-81DB-9F9D1CFF0DA9.jpeg

F709B823-B15B-4040-82D9-C4BC261FB67C.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say it is a casual leather only or able to dress up a bit? Also, is the colour almost a cognac? How is hatch grain?
Of course it’s going to depend largely on the style of the shoe, but I feel like it is a versatile leather. In terms of color, cognac is one of those colors that’s as debated about as whiskey. I would say both of those images were taken in outside, daylight conditions, so it’s kind of there for you to decide. The hatch is quite deeply stamped, you can see around the toe where it was lasted, it’s still apparent.

Edmund K

Reaction score
I haven’t worn mine yet, I picked up the NST & the Cap-toe and am very pleased with both. I really wish that Caper green was available when I ordered. They came on the ROD last with their Ultraflex system. I wear a UK8.5 on all of their lasts I own, but I got feedback from many that the ROD last fits large so I went with a UK8. Unfortunately with the Ultraflex inserts they are too tight for my foot. Had I ordered my normal size, I believe they would have fit really well with the Ultraflex system. I do get a really good fit when I remove the Ultraflex inserts. The problem is the soles don’t have sock liners, so the heel hardware is visible and would ultimately irritate my heel if worn as they are. Once I install sock liners I’ll wear them quite a lot I think, they seem quite rugged and remind me of roughout suede.
View attachment 1649747

Nice collection. It is a very interesting leather and it does look like rough out suede.

Found a good review on youtube:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads