• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Honestly this law makes sense. In a store you can inspect the product sold as seconds and decide if the defect is acceptable to you, with online sales it's not possible to do so unless the vendor posts detailed pictures. With the no returns clause the online buyer essentially has less rights than the in-store buyer.

When you think about it, it's pretty anti-consumer to sell a defective product blind with a no returns clause; it essentially turns into a gamble and allows the vendor sell any defective product without meeting any minimal threshold of quality or functionality. The EU is pretty big on consumer protection, I'm sure they wouldn't like that.

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So no return on MTOs is fine, but no returns on seconds is not legal.
What would be the arguments for returning a pair of shoes?

- They are faulty? You already knew that.
- It doesn't fit? If you have doubts about your size, you should buy a new pair that you can return instead of gambling.
- I thought that the issues were not as apparent. Sorry, bad luck as some items do not have any apparent issues.
- I changed my mind. Well...

It would interesting to know what de @Meermin has to say about this as I feel we are speculating on the issue. If it is illegal, they should already know as this isn't their first factory sale and I doubt they are taking such a risk.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a more authoritative and clear source than the Italian site provided:

Not much room for interpretation there. Meermin's "no returns" clause clearly violates this for online sales.

However they do list some exceptions:

So no return on MTOs is fine, but no returns on seconds is not legal.
Well, actually Meermin personally made the shoes with a defect specifically for you, so that you could get them at a discounted price;)

Sinbios

Reaction score
What would be the arguments for returning a pair of shoes?

- They are faulty? You already knew that.
- It doesn't fit? If you have doubts about your size, you should buy a new pair that you can return instead of gambling.
- I thought that the issues were not as apparent. Sorry, bad luck as some items do not have any apparent issues.
- I changed my mind. Well...

It would interesting to know what de @Meermin has to say about this as I feel we are speculating on the issue. If it is illegal, they should already know as this isn't their first factory sale and I doubt they are taking such a risk.

That's the point, you don't need an argument. You can return online sales for for any reason and without a justification.

But if you really want one, an argument could be made that it should not be allowed to sell defective goods without the buyer being able to inspect it first to assess whether the defect is acceptable to them.

Sorry, bad luck

Well, buying goods online is not supposed to be a gamble unless the product is explicitly sold as such, so...

Actually, under EU law I wonder if it would even be legal to sell those blind grab bags without allowing returns. The "sealed goods" exception only applies to digital software and media.

notdos

Reaction score
As quickly as they sell out, I’d be surprised if they didn’t switch to the countries that allow their, more than reasonable, terms of sale.

Sinbios

Reaction score
As quickly as they sell out, I’d be surprised if they didn’t switch to the countries that allow their, more than reasonable, terms of sale.

The law applies to vendors in the EU, it doesn't matter if the buyer is not under EU jurisdiction. To sell stuff in a jurisdiction you must follow its laws.

If you're not sure which situation applies to you, you can also try our consumer rights tool to help you understand your rights when you shop in the EU.

It's actually kind of odd that we think of anti-consumer terms of sale that allow the vendor to completely **** over the consumer without recourse as reasonable.

notdos

Reaction score
Here, we call it common sense. Want it cheap? Then you take your chances. I’m totally good with that. And since the EU law states that the items should match what was advertised or agreed, I find it impossible to reasonably argue.

iva80

Reaction score
Here, we call it common sense. Want it cheap? Then you take your chances. I’m totally good with that. And since the EU law states that the items should match what was advertised or agreed, I find it impossible to reasonably argue.
You are missing the point. The right to return is non negotiable.

MTO orders quslify as custom work, but the product provided must be at the right quality standards or the makervhas to redobthe order or other correctivd messures thst are satisfactory for the customer

notdos

Reaction score
No, I completely understand the law. I refuse to ignore the rights of the seller to set reasonable terms.
If you ***** enough, Wal Mart will allow you to return used undergarments. I don’t support that, either.

Taracta

Reaction score
"Traders are required to expressly specify the existence of the right or its inapplicability to the specific case."

Could this line in the law be what Meermin is using?

Mirage-

Reaction score
No one gives a damn if you're good with it. Law is law. It's incredible the length you people will go to defend anti-consumer practices even when clearly illegal, to the point of belittling people who not even use, no, just even *mention* the right.

notdos

Reaction score
Oh poor consumer. The same consumer that examines a pair of ******* shoes 18” from their eyes when they clearly go on the feet. Only morons buy shoes marked seconds, then ***** about what they receive.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh poor consumer. The same consumer that examines a pair of ******* shoes 18” from their eyes when they clearly go on the feet. Only morons buy shoes marked seconds, then ***** about what they receive.
Your mistake is attempting to reason with these geniuses, it’s more fun to mock the hard of thinking.

735AEC6D-EECE-4400-9CF5-26C1FCBCCA2F.gif

zurich64

Reaction score
There is no such thing in the EU as a final sale when you bought something without looking at it (online, phone). most people will keep their shoes, but if someone does not like what they received, then they have the right to return it.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I and others have explained that a dozen time, as well as posting the law itself. They clearly don't care, they are apparently just here to mock others users and post stupid GIFs as if they never reached adulthood. Oh well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics