• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is essentially what I did and they don't fit. I have some Johnston and Murphy, Spier and Mackay, and Thursday boots all in 11. They fit. Meermin in 11 doesn't fit.
I am mainly posting this for those who have yet to make a purchase and are trying to find their size. I guess my point is that the few GYW shoes I have tried run bigger than the Meermin I have tried, and was wondering if this is the case for others.
First of all, the brands you just listed are sized in US, and Meermin is in UK sizing and should be one down from those typically. If the 11 in Meermin doesn't fit either the last does not work for your foot shape and/or you have wide feet.

Bacharini

Reaction score
Ah. Well of course it can happen yes. It also depends on the last. Which last did you try on Meermin?
The hiro last in the unlined loafer and split toe.
First of all, the brands you just listed are sized in US, and Meermin is in UK sizing and should be one down from those typically. If the 11 in Meermin doesn't fit either the last does not work for your foot shape and/or you have wide feet.
Yes I am aware, I just put it in US to simplify. I wear a 11.5 US in sneakers but normally an 11 US in GYW shoes, so I ordered an 11 US (10 UK) but they are tight around my toes, especially my small toe.
I do not have particularly wide feet. I am actually between a C and D width. However, my high arch does collapse when I stand causing a true D width and my toes need room.
So do you buy the same size as your other GYW shoes or a half size down with Meermin? I still haven't gotten any responses. Anyone own J and M, Spier, or Thursday? Surely you go up 1/2 a size from these? (and most boot companies like Grant Stone, Red Wing).
I actually just got back from the Red Wing store and the salesman tried to convince me to get a 10.5 US (1 size down from my brannock) but it was clearly too small and felt like the Meermins, so I am in 11 US in Red Wing also.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I am aware, I just put it in US to simplify. I wear a 11.5 US in sneakers but normally an 11 US in GYW shoes, so I ordered an 11 US (10 UK) but they are tight around my toes, especially my small toe.
I do not have particularly wide feet. I am actually between a C and D width. However, my high arch does collapse when I stand causing a true D width and my toes need room.
So do you buy the same size as your other GYW shoes or a half size down with Meermin? I still haven't gotten any responses. Anyone own J and M, Spier, or Thursday? Surely you go up 1/2 a size from these? (and most boot companies like Grant Stone, Red Wing).
I actually just got back from the Red Wing store and the salesman tried to convince me to get a 10.5 US (1 size down from my brannock) but it was clearly too small and felt like the Meermins, so I am in 11 US in Red Wing also.
Oh yeah the hiro is tapered, you're going to need to try like the HOK last. If you want toe room Hiro is a no go.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Every foot is a world, and it's hard to give accurate advice on sizing as there are so many factors involved, hence every manufacturer tries to solve varied issues with their different last designs. You just mentioned that your high arch collapse when you stand, so your toes need room, in my case it is just the opposite: I have slim feet with a low instep and volume, so I regularly have to downsize.

My Brannock device sizing is 8 US, as it is my size with most of my Adidas, Reebok or Puma sneakers (not others). I wear 7 US with my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots, with plenty of room for my toes, and it would be my choice for Red Wings. I wear 7.5 US with my Florsheim Kenmoor, Rider Boot Co. boots and shoes and Sperry boat shoes, but 6 and 6.5 UK with Cobbler Union's different lasts. Most of my European shoes and boots (Cheaney, Loake, Carlos Santos, Church's), are 6 UK even though I have to wear 6.5 UK with some of their lasts, none of them 7 UK that would be equivalent to my Brannock 8 US.

To compare what others use with certain brands doesn't work, as feet are so different and respond so differently to each last. More accurate would be to compare lasts, but it isn't an easy task. I am sorry I can't help you with Meermin, as I don't own any.

Last edited:

Bacharini

Reaction score
Oh yeah the hiro is tapered, you're going to need to try like the HOK last. If you want toe room Hiro is a no go.
Thank you! If I try Meermin again I will try a different last and maybe a 1/2 size up.
Every foot is a world, and it's hard to give accurate advice on sizing as there are so many factors involved, hence every manufacturer tries to solve different issues with their different last designs. You just mentioned that your high arch collapse when you stand, so your toes need room, in my case it is just the opposite: I have slim feet with a low instep and volume, so I regularly have to downsize.

My Brannock device sizing is 8 US, as it is my size with most of my Adidas, Reebok or Puma sneakers (not others). I wear 7 US with my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots, with plenty of room for my toes, and it would be my choice for Red Wings. I wear 7.5 US with my Florsheim Kenmoor, Rider Boot Co. bots and shoes and Sperry boat shoes, but 6 and 6.5 UK with Cobbler Union's different lasts. Most of my European shoes and boots (Cheaney, Loake, Carlos Santos, Church's), are 6 UK even though I have to wear 6.5 UK with some of their lasts, none of them 7 UK that would be equivalent to my Brannock 8 US.

To compare what others use with certain brands doesn't work, as feet are so different and respond so differently to each last. More accurate would be to compare lasts, but it isn't an easy task. I am sorry I can't help you with Meermin, as I don't own any.
Thank you! It is very frustrating that all brands are different, but I guess that is how they accommodate various people. I just looked at Allen Edmonds size chart and the 11 US is 10.5 UK btw, so there isn't even a consistent conversion it seems.

Taracta

Reaction score
Sizing question for those who own Meermin: Do you buy the same size as your sneakers and/or bannock device measurement? I went down half a size and regret it. It seems to me they fit tts (same as most sneakers/tennis shoes and bannock).
The main reason I would advise not going down half a size as is commonly recommend with GYW shoes is they are narrow so if your foot is wide at all in the forefoot or toes it will not work.
What last did you get?

Taracta

Reaction score

The Hiro (and Dani) last usually fits smaller than most of Meermins other lasts so you need to go up half a size for the Hiro last 10.5 UK in my experience.

Bacharini

Reaction score
The Hiro (and Dani) last usually fits smaller than most of Meermins other lasts so you need to go up half a size for the Hiro last 10.5 UK in my experience.
I appreciate the feedback. Where was it tight on you? Which last have you found the roomiest in the small toe area?

Taracta

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. Where was it tight on you? Which last have you found the roomiest in the small toe area?
Please remember that you have to be properly sized for the last you are going to wear not just the brand. The Hok last would have the roomiest toe box when properly sized, likely size 10 UK for you. It is half a size less than the Hiro last.

killer121

Reaction score
It was a sale on "seconds", with different kind of defects. Each pair is different to the other, so it's quite impossible to have photos on every item. If you decide to buy, you are accepting their terms (no returns, as it is a "seconds" sale), so it's not illegal. If you feel that you are going to get scammed, simple solution, do not buy.
You can't just sell or buy drugs because you accept the "terms"

Mirage-

Reaction score
It takes a really special person, to contemplate buying factory second products online, and then complain about the possibility of the product not meeting their expectations ahead of the order. ?
It takes a really special person (I'll spare you the bold) to call strangers really special persons only because they correctly stated that a company is not following the law, and then asking for photos/examples of a "defective but fully functional" product to make up his mind whether said product is worth buying discounted, in order to decide before ordering, so that one can honour the still-illegal condition imposed by the brand, even though he would be supported by the law if he chose not to.

zurich64

Reaction score
Thank you! If I try Meermin again I will try a different last and maybe a 1/2 size up.

Thank you! It is very frustrating that all brands are different, but I guess that is how they accommodate various people. I just looked at Allen Edmonds size chart and the 11 US is 10.5 UK btw, so there isn't even a consistent conversion it seems.
Brands are not that different, the lasts are. There is a wide range, and one cannot guess the size based on experience with sneakers.
Allen Edmonds come in different widths for the same last, and a D, E, and EEE will fit very differently for the same size shoe.
Most brands, including @Meermin, have their last info available. That should be the deciding factor when ordering.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes a really special person (I'll spare you the bold) to call strangers really special persons only because they correctly stated that a company is not following the law, and then asking for photos/examples of a "defective but fully functional" product to make up his mind whether said product is worth buying discounted, in order to decide before ordering, so that one can honour the still-illegal condition imposed by the brand, even though he would be supported by the law if he chose not to.
:lol:
18544FCC-CBC2-4288-A8E0-4AEDC6007387.gif

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to read which is the law that support your affirmations, related specifically for “final sales” of factory seconds, so I’ll appreciate it if you can share a link to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads